Coaching security

Where did this narrative that Al Folden was a proven winner at Temple come from??

He had ONE 9 win season during his tenure & finished 27-34 in 5 years at Temple with losses to schools like Buffalo, UConn, Ohio, Bowling Green, Western Michigan, Central Mich & Northern Illinois. Even during his “best” season at Temple he lost a HOME opener to Villa fckin Nova, who is a Basketball school that is FCS division in Football. (That’s the equivalent of Miami losing to Bethune Cookman at Hard Rock).

That’s not anywhere near what’s being done at Cincy, SMU & Wake etc.. Not even in the same stratosphere.

No disrespect intended at all OP, I agree with everything else you’re saying, but I’m always baffled when fans speak so highly of Folden, he’s been awful his whole career.
Willie Taggart’s time at USF was significantly better than Foldens at Temple and no one on this board would ever confuse Taggart with a proven winner when he went to Oregon then FSU.

Advertisement
The only thing Manny wants to win more than our players is social media likes. Coaches that are all about winning don’t play favorites or seniority and would bench their mothers to win games
They also don’t slow down to set up a field goal when the opposing d is exhausted and has no answers (Virginia)

Pretty good… but I don’t think even Sandy Rhannon could figure a way to lose to FIU on the grounds of the OB.

Now that I think of it… it was pretty unforgivable what RS did by ending the OB in the fashion he did in 07 to Virginia’s TE

They were both trash… good call
TEs destroyed a radio defense with a level of consistency I’ve never seen

Uh…nope. Not even close. You and your slurping merry men were guaranteeing 15-0 in almost every thread, specially you.

It got so bad, that @RVACane started trolling you over it. Don’t make me pull receipts on your ***. I would have to bump a couple of hundred threads at least where you came in with your 15-0 craziness.

The worst part was that you and your crew vilified anyone that had a dissenting or realistic view of what the season likely would turn out to be.

Cry more.

When an athletic director hires a coach, the possible outcomes aren’t just win a championship or fail miserably. There is a lot of real estate in between those two eventualities.

While there are no guarantees, successful head coaches do share traits. A smart AD evaluates candidates against those traits, and hires the one who gives the best chance of winning a championship. By doing this, he minimizes the risk of hiring a coach who fails miserably. At the very least, the new coach should give the program great odds of being at least good. Maybe very good.

What BJ did by not bothering to even consider more than just 1 candidate was to virtually guarantee that we’d be in the “failed miserably” category. And for that he should be fired.

Advertisement
I don't get it either. If we're going to take a chance on a small school coach, it better be one who has won something of note. Golden never won crap. All he had were a bunch of almosts and choke jobs. As soon as Temple took that double digit lead on UCLA in the bowl game you could see his bhole pucker up through his khakis and they choked that game away, which should have been a red flag. Golden coached scared, he was the most scared coach I've seen, and I didn't think that was possible after watching Coker.
1,000% facts!

That’s how he got the infamous nickname of Folden, because whenever the pressure was on it was guaranteed he was gonna fold up like a lawn chair & find a way to lose the game.

Cry more.
It takes a real narcissist to continually double down when they are wrong, instead of being humble enough to say that they were wrong, and take the L.

Only one crying is you because the corch that you obsessively defended and championed is what many of us knew he was…a two-bit, snake oil salesman.

I know that you’ve been trying hard to re-write recent history and say that you were just trying to be positive, but the fact is that you led and encouraged the slurp crew in here, which is your right to do so, but I wish that you’d own up to it.

It takes a real narcissist to continually double down when they are wrong, instead of being humble enough to say that they were wrong, and take the L.

Only one crying is you because the corch that you obsessively defended and championed is what many of us knew he was…a two-bit, snake oil salesman.

I know that you’ve been trying hard to re-write recent history and say that you were just trying to be positive, but the fact is that you led and encouraged the slurp crew in here, which is your right to do so, but I wish that you’d own up to it.

I don’t try hard at anything here dude. Nor do I care to rewrite anything that was so patently obvious.

Advertisement
Back