Coaching Coaching Profile: Aaron Feld

Glad to see someone else think the top 50 S&C list was laughable. He very well could be the best in the country, but how in the world do you come to that conclusion? How are teams we faced, beat, had better conditioning than have a gut ahead of Feeley?

There's so many factors in these guys. Mario has asked him for results and he's delivered, so that's good enough to me.

I get the injury concern, but those are accidents. If Mario thought he was pushing their bodies too hard, he wouldn't have been brought along.

Advertisement
OP do you see him as a upgrade over feeley? Is so why?
I liked Feeley because I think S&C was one of the few bright spots under Manny Diaz. He was educated and from what I understand he was a good motivator and other S&C coaches respected him and his programs. Given the players he was handed, I felt he did the best with what he could and we were never gassed worse than the other team in the 4th quarter. In fact, I can't really remember any time that we looked embarrassingly out of shape in the 4th quarter like when FSU played Boise State (lol).

I can't really say it's an "upgrade" and the concept is weird to me. Guys are allowed to implement S&C programs as they see fit, and they very often implement wildly different programs with their own emphasis on certain metrics over others. Just get guys to buy into the program, motivate them, and let your program get them stronger, faster, and more-conditioned while minimizing injuries. Anyone who does that is alright in my book.

I'm not sure how deep you are in the college ranks but I have a few guys I've been around and I would like an unbiased opinion if you are up for the challenge lol :)
I'm not deep in the ranks at all! I work in the private sector, but feel free to PM me if you'd like.

I've actually been thinking about this a lot. I do wonder what Bama's doing and the degree to which they're doing it, and what other schools are doing. I'm not an expert on anabolic steroids but it would not surprise me in the least if Bama was running an Olympic-level doping program over there.

I've trained athletes a long time but some of these young LBs at Bama are putting on 15-25lbs of muscle in a year.
It's really hard for me to believe a kid gaining 15-25 pounds of muscle in one year given he has been in any lifting program prior for that matter without question whether he is for real on the juice! haha!

1) he’s going to fail
2) it won’t be his fault we don’t have that Bama roids
3) everyone will incorrectly blame him

Advertisement
I've actually been thinking about this a lot. I do wonder what Bama's doing and the degree to which they're doing it, and what other schools are doing. I'm not an expert on anabolic steroids but it would not surprise me in the least if Bama was running an Olympic-level doping program over there.

I've trained athletes a long time but some of these young LBs at Bama are putting on 15-25lbs of muscle in a year.
How old are the guys you coach? It’s not surprising to me to see guys put on 15-25 pounds from HS graduation to their sophomore year. Many have elite type 2 fiber and grew up eating dog ****. They get calories and work and it’s explosive growth.

How old are the guys you coach? It’s not surprising to me to see guys put on 15-25 pounds from HS graduation to their sophomore year. Many have elite type 2 fiber and grew up eating dog ****. They get calories and work and it’s explosive growth.
Most of my clients were high school although my internship was in college and I've privately trained several college athletes.

I'm not saying it's impossible; there are many, many variables at play and elite genetics are among them. I just think we all might be surprised how many athletes are using and how often, especially in the off-season. But it's pure speculation on my part so I won't go into further detail.

Most of my clients were high school although my internship was in college and I've privately trained several college athletes.

I'm not saying it's impossible; there are many, many variables at play and elite genetics are among them. I just think we all might be surprised how many athletes are using and how often, especially in the off-season. But it's pure speculation on my part so I won't go into further detail.
What I wonder is if any of these programs are getting dna swabs on kids am looking for sports genes ACTN3 and Ace. Pretty easy to do without kids noticing.

Advertisement
I agree, I think we should keep an eye on the injuries but I'm also optimistic.

I was aware of Turley at Stanford and always read good things about him, but did you see this? https://www.stanforddaily.com/2019/04/17/stanford-fires-award-winning-sports-performance-director/

Wonder what that was all about.

Oh wow I hadn’t seen that! Hmmm wonder what that was all about. I for one really appreciate these threads. I am currently in the NASM program while serving active duty Air Force. S&C has always been my passion and you’re right, the field has grown exponentially in the last ten years even.

Overview

Coach Aaron Feld will be brought on as the University of Miami’s Director of Strength & Conditioning (S&C) for football. Coach Feld has been talked about extensively lately and is no doubt quite a character, as most people will instantly notice his old-school handlebar mustache that he chooses to rock.

However, beyond his mustache, his arm size, his loudness, and his enthusiasm, I’m more concerned about the “meat and potatoes” if you will regarding how he implements S&C programs. Here’s what I’ve found.

The Good

As I wrote about in a previous thread, S&C has come a long way from the 80’s, 90’s and even early 00’s. It is important to me to see that any practicing S&C coach has a formal education in S&C or an allied association, i.e., Exercise Physiology or Athletic Training. Coach Feld has a Master’s in clinical exercise science which is a strong plus and the first thing I look for. I’ll admit this is actually a little surprising to me as clinical exercise science is a little more geared towards health promotion, dealing with patients who may have metabolic syndrome (patients who use exercise as a prescription to try and overcome pathological conditions like atherosclerosis, dyslipidemia, osteoporosis, etc.), but looking at the MSU catalog there may not be any Master’s programs with S&C specialization like there is at Miami (Class of ’13 🙌). Still, it shows that he has a strong understanding of the underlying systems that make up the human body and how they acutely and chronically respond to exercise.

He is also NSCA certified (CSCS I'm assuming) and CSCCa certified. Good stuff.

Talking GRIT: S1 E2 - Oregon Strength Coach Aaron Feld on Balancing Strength and Speed Training - YouTube

This was GREAT to hear about halfway through (2:10). He talks about how speed IS performance. And power is foundational to speed. And how strength is foundational to power. I was literally saying it out loud to my screen in agreement with him, because this means he strongly understands the concepts of linear periodization, which you can read about here if you feel inclined. Periodization is the backbone of a modern S&C coach. He says “grit” is foundational to strength – I’m splitting hairs a little here but most coaches would say it’s “intensity” which lays the foundation for strength, but I’m being overly picky, it’s the same thing. The typical model would look something like:

Neural Introductory / Mobility / Technique --> Metabolic Conditioning --> Strength --> Power --> Speed

And then if you really wanted to get picky some people even add “Power Endurance” at the very end, which is for how long can you be powerful? But I digress, this is all a very good sign in my opinion – the average “bro” S&C coach doesn’t know any of this ****.

Talking GRIT: S1 E2 - Oregon Strength Coach Aaron Feld on Mental Toughness - YouTube

I find that most fans of the sport put more emphasis on the mental toughness stuff than even the coaches do. I mean, yes, obviously that’s a huge aspect of designing these programs: your athletes need to suck it up and get done what you tell them to get done. But I always felt like that was the easiest part of coaching for me and nearly all good S&C coaches expect mental toughness out of their players. And you do not want to **** off your strength coach. So it’s good to see that he values mental toughness in his athletes, but any good strength coach does.

Talking GRIT: S1 E2 - Oregon Strength Coach Aaron Feld on Taking What Works - YouTube

Huge agreement from me here and I hope everyone here watches this video.

One reason you may have seen me on this forum be so passionate and critical about the way other S&C coaches run their programs is because I’m one too. I like to delve into various programs and see what they’re doing and think about what I would alter and why; taking out what doesn’t work and keeping what does. Also agree about what he said for bench pressing here.

I won’t go through all of his videos here but because it’s so difficult to obtain training programs from collegiate football programs like Oregon (I’m sure I won’t be able to find one), so I’m okay sort of listening to his philosophy here.

The Bad

Behind the Scenes with UO Strength Coach Aaron Feld (PT2)

It’s a little unfair of me to be critical of this video since he was clearly guiding a reporter around and on camera, but I hate BOSU balls. It made me chuckle that he talked about “football movements” and then said he can stand on a BOSU ball “all day,” like how is that applicable? Standing on a BOSU ball is fine for working on ankle proprioception, prehab/rehab, or throwing in a warm-up, but most research has shown that ground-based, loaded movements are more effective at recruiting motor units than balancing. As one of my professors put it, “We don’t play sports on unstable surfaces, so why should we train on them?”

The Ugly

Oregon had a LOT of injuries this year. A LOT. It is extremely difficult to get a database of how many players were injured, the degree of their injuries, and the cause of their injuries. I mentioned in the other thread that non-contact ACL tears / knee injuries are in many ways directly reflective of the S&C program. Overtraining certain movements like hip and knee extension while undertraining the hamstrings can lead to joint instability in the knee. Also, training in the sagittal plane only can be detrimental when athletes do not move in a single plane. It’s very, very difficult to attribute an “accident” to one person, but I’m very concerned with how many injuries Oregon suffered this year. The sign of a good S&C coach is that injury prevention is the primary priority, and often the “best” S&C coaches will have far fewer injuries than their competitors. This will be something we need to keep an eye on.

Speaking of competitors, this is why I find those “Top 50 Strength Coaches” pictures so stupid lol. What metrics are they using to rank them? Strength Coaches are not offensive coordinators. There’s no “yards/game” metrics. As Coach Feld said, the types of players are recruited by the coaches based on what they’re looking for, and the S&C coach has to develop those players that are then given to him. There’s nothing that makes Feld #1 verses Zach Duval at Nebraska #7 verses Noel Durfey at Duke #44.

Conclusion / Takeaway

I think he’s a little goofy lol. He’s got the mustache, he’s loud (trying to be like Scott Cochran or something?), but overall, I appreciate his enthusiasm and I’m warming up to him. It’s clear that this something he’s passionate about, and if his mustache and IG antics get the kids motivated to play for him, I’m all for it.

I think he has a very strong understanding on the principles that motivate and develop football players (although I’d like to see his programming to be sure, though that’ll never happen). I would say this is a good hire and I’m optimistic about seeing his results – let’s just keep an eye on the injuries.
Excellent writeup.

Yes. It sure looks like he practices what he preaches and Bama wanted him. What else do you need ?
Bama wanted him because he is familiar with running a high level doping program. When I tell you that I’ve been following names like Feld, Scott Cochran, Scott Sinclair, Alabama’s current staff of one David Ballou and one DR. Yes that’s right Dr. Matt Rhea and they all have a common theme of running S&C programs that utilize anabolics, HGH and SARMS. As much as I hate Saban that dude always looks towards the future and is big on innovation. There is a reason why he did not sulk over losing Cochran to Georgia.

Anyways..welcome to big boy college football boys and girls. Mario has been around it long enough to know what it looks like.

Personally I am not huge on Feld as I believe he is a slightly above average S&C who knows how to run anabolic protocols for athletes just like his protégés do. I am very impressed with the combo Bama has unfortunately.

Bama wanted him because he is familiar with running a high level doping program. When I tell you that I’ve been following names like Feld, Scott Cochran, Scott Sinclair, Alabama’s current staff of one David Ballou and one DR. Yes that’s right Dr. Matt Rhea and they all have a common theme of running S&C programs that utilize anabolics, HGH and SARMS. As much as I hate Saban that dude always looks towards the future and is big on innovation. There is a reason why he did not sulk over losing Cochran to Georgia.

Anyways..welcome to big boy college football boys and girls. Mario has been around it long enough to know what it looks like.

Personally I am not huge on Feld as I believe he is a slightly above average S&C who knows how to run anabolic protocols for athletes just like his protégés do. I am very impressed with the combo Bama has unfortunately.
I personally think it’s more about the athlete you bring in than the coach. I’m not saying it doesn’t matter, but elite athletes will always test better, perform better to make your S&C coach look that much better.

Advertisement
I’m reading a lot about injury concerns. I’ll be the first to point out that eighteen months of Covid CHANGED everything football across the country in college and professional. One of the biggest takeaways has been, no one has ever seen injuries everywhere and at all levels like this before. Maybe the OP can explain why and how that’s a thing. I’d guess from March of 2020 there was a lot less supervised training and recovery than there was traditionally after the onset of Covid protocols. Every football team I follow became a M.A.S.H. unit by seasons end. Food for thought.

GTFOH with this weak *** talk.

Miami just isn't committed to winning until we bring in Barry Bonds.

He's gonna bring the secret sauce!

I’m reading a lot about injury concerns. I’ll be the first to point out that eighteen months of Covid CHANGED everything football across the country in college and professional. One of the biggest takeaways has been, no one has ever seen injuries everywhere and at all levels like this before. Maybe the OP can explain why and how that’s a thing. I’d guess from March of 2020 there was a lot less supervised training and recovery than there was traditionally after the onset of Covid protocols. Every football team I follow became a M.A.S.H. unit by seasons end. Food for thought.
Bama had no soft tissue injuries until Metchie. Almost 2 full seasons, including CFBPO and COVID. They've played more games than anyone in that time.

Advertisement
Bama had no soft tissue injuries until Metchie. Almost 2 full seasons, including CFBPO and COVID. They've played more games than anyone in that time.

1. Metchie has a knee injury.
2. That is laughably false. Bama has had plenty of injuries, including actual soft tissue ones. Their fans have been pointing this out all year.

Bama has absurd depth, so injuries don't hurt them as much as somewhere like Miami

Use of anabolics by a whole program over a decade should/could have been leaked by some players who have been pushed out.

They could theoretically use SARMs +/-SERMs(Enclomiphene) in the supplements without the kids knowing. Run a 6-10 week cycle twice a year (prior to each camp)

That would be some shady ****.
SARMS can also be detected, if teams and the NCAA bothered to implement those tests.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back