Coaching Note from Mike Lombardi

Advertisement
Got to careful with Joe Brady. No HC experience and one year wonder at LSU. He got them to playing at a high level but he legit had a 1st round QB,RB, and two WR’s on the LSU team that is seeing success in the NFL. Haven’t been that great in the NFL which makes me wonder if he is really a great of a X’s & O’s guy.

He wasn't a first rounder until Joe got there. Likely undrafted with his pre-Brady resume

Got to careful with Joe Brady. No HC experience and one year wonder at LSU. He got them to playing at a high level but he legit had a 1st round QB,RB, and two WR’s on the LSU team that is seeing success in the NFL. Haven’t been that great in the NFL which makes me wonder if he is really a great of a X’s & O’s guy.
Opposing teams have been running the routes for our WRs the last two weeks and he's done nothing to counter the terrible Oline they've put infront of Darnold.

He needs to adjust quickly or he'll be run out of the NFL imo.

Advertisement
He wasn't a first rounder until Joe got there. Likely undrafted with his pre-Brady resume
True but it goes both ways. The success he is having in the NFL also shows that Burrow isn’t a product of Joe Brady system. Brady systems hasn’t been as productive when the talent is even in the NFL.

Advertisement
I see Brady as the kind of chance we just cant afford to take at this point.
It's a splash hire with a high failure probability. Why not hire someone like Napier, Clark or dare I say Kiffin, who have a lower failure probability and can give you a lot of the same stuff Brady can? Brady is the kind of "Win the press conference" hire that a poorly informed, irrational AD would make.

It's a splash hire with a high failure probability. Why not hire someone like Napier, Clark or dare I say Kiffin, who have a lower failure probability and can give you a lot of the same stuff Brady can? Brady is the kind of "Win the press conference" hire that a poorly informed, irrational AD would make.

So, 99.9% chance he's our next head coach then.

Advertisement
Isn’t he the guy who was strangely obsessed with Peterson? He’d crap on him any chance he could , it was weird
Not sure about him but he definitely did that with Malzahn. It was very weird, he was very aggressive about it.

I have been warming to Kiffin lately. Though, I highly doubt he would come here.

Exactly this guy had a NFL Offense in college! He never really faced adversity

Advertisement
To be fair, Darnold and Walker were horrendous today. I don't think Bill Walsh could have done anything with these 2 today.
Do you know why Darnold was bad today (Walker isn't an NFL QB)?

Because the NFL has worked Brady and his tendencies out and he's not accounting for our poor Oline at all with his play calling.

When the Vikings DBs were running the routes for our receivers a few weeks ago I knew the game was up for Brady. He's been found out at this level - he might want to be an Xs and Os coach, but the NFL is where the big boys play. Evidently he's not a big boy.

If I was in charge I'd fire him this evening.

I have been warming to Kiffin lately. Though, I highly doubt he would come here.
I would give Kiffin an interview, but he would be far down on my list. I would take at least 4-5 other guys BEFORE Kiffin. I would also protect myself in regards to Kiffin by insisting on a incentive heavy contract with an escalating buyout clause, provided he met certain benchmarks. I wouldn't spend top dollar for him. He's the kind of guy that is worth a shot, but you should also make sure that you aren't overpaying for him because if it goes sideways it will really go sideways.

I would also have a similar viewpoint on Freeze, I would make sure the school was protected by having strong morals clauses in case he does something that gets the program in trouble.

I would give Kiffin an interview, but he would be far down on my list. I would take at least 4-5 other guys BEFORE Kiffin. I would also protect myself in regards to Kiffin by insisting on a incentive heavy contract with an escalating buyout clause, provided he met certain benchmarks. I wouldn't spend top dollar for him. He's the kind of guy that is worth a shot, but you should also make sure that you aren't overpaying for him because if it goes sideways it will really go sideways.

I would also have a similar viewpoint on Freeze, I would make sure the school was protected by having strong morals clauses in case he does something that gets the program in trouble.
Great points. Who is at the top of your list?

Advertisement
Back