Coaching guru's - Do we tackle enough in practice?

k9cane

Senior
And yeah, you don't have to have been a college or pro coach to answer this - but I know with the emphasis on safety and health, that the days of the 'Junction Boys' and 2-a-days are long gone. But with all this 'thudding' going on during most practices now, has it affected Miami's tackling this season?( EDIT - as I re-read this, it should be : did we tackle enough during fall camp? I realize most teams ramp it down once the season starts)

To me, it's like boxing, if you don't have at least a certain amount of real sparring(which is done with headgear and bigger gloves) trainers will tell you it's impossible to really be prepared for a real fight. You need to get hit, feel a guy lean on you inside, etc, to really be ready for live action. You just can't work the mitts and heavy-bag.

I just look at our tackling this year and keep wondering if our guys didnt hit enough during camp. I see a lot of plays where even some of our best hitters( like Shaq) square guys up and they get run through and I don't recall that happening nearly as much as last season.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think this is a growing problem at all levels of football going forward. The whole CTE thing is sort of forcing teams to go thru the week with very little hitting. We are starting to see the differences in the game itself.

k9 - You're old enough to remember the stories of Jimmy Johnson's infamous Wednesday scrimmages. Many an old skool Cane football player would say that the Wednesday scrimmages were tougher than most of their games on Saturdays. I don't think we'll ever see that again.

I think this is a growing problem at all levels of football going forward. The whole CTE thing is sort of forcing teams to go thru the week with very little hitting. We are starting to see the differences in the game itself.

k9 - You're old enough to remember the stories of Jimmy Johnson's infamous Wednesday scrimmages. Many an old skool Cane football player would say that the Wednesday scrimmages were tougher than most of their games on Saturdays. I don't think we'll ever see that again.

This.

Hs, college and NFL tackling is atrocious. Nobody does it at practice anymore.

Growing up in the 90's we had tackling drills three days a week. Every pads day.

We actually had four stations , each on was situational tackling.

Last edited:
What I don t understand is how we got worse at tackling over last year. Last year we were a very good tackling team.

Advertisement
Paper thin depth at several positions has forced the coaches to ease up on the hitting going on in practice. Pretty obvious really.

Elite athletes at safety could change everything. Jobe and Hall can't get here soon enough

Elite athletes at safety could change everything. Jobe and Hall can't get here soon enough

I dont disagree with this but our LB's( who I thought were rock solid last year) really have struggled in this department. On Akers big run at the start of the 4th, McCloud basically catapulted him by not wrapping up properly

Jimmy was actually known for going full pads and not just shells deep into the season more than any other coach during his days in Dallas

But I just wonder if there has to be more of a middle ground reached during training camp. I really dont hear of any teams really hitting once the season starts unless it's a form of punishment from an upset coach

Advertisement
I'm not an advocate of full-padded practices during the season.

In this case the layoff may be affecting their tackling and the lack of a bye week to correct it sucks.

But tackling can be taught effectively (I think more effectively) without pads.

It just depends on the drills and whether or not Diaz is a coach who focuses on technique more than scheme.

Not sure cause I’m not there but I can tell you with all certainty we don’t tackle enough in the games...we are horrible at it

Advertisement
1. I think it's actually in the NCAA rules how many hours you can go full tackle or full pads in practice. It's not like it used to be and it's not even close. This has a lot to do with how you tackle in the game.
2. Our LBs suck this year getting the guy to the ground and actually being in the right spot at the right time. Really bad LB play is showing up with our tackling
3. Outside of Redwine vs Duke our Safety and secondary tackling has been below average. Young and Delaney are the only two i trust to wrap up and get the guy on the ground in space outside of our DL.

We were amazing at 2 and 3 last year. That is a huge difference

Listen, I see where this thread is going and I have to respectfully disagree. I don't see Bama having problems tackling. I didn't see FSU have any problems tackling yesterday. I don't see Wisconsin have problems tackling and I don't see the Seattle Seahawks, who use the THUD method, have this problem.

I'm going to blame lack of consistency. We played BCU, then had like 3 weeks off, then played Toledo, Duke, and now FSU. I'm going to assume that as the season progresses, as we become more consistent, we'll be better. If not, it's on coaching and technique. I'll reserve judgement once we get 4 games in a row under our belt.

Listen, I see where this thread is going and I have to respectfully disagree. I don't see Bama having problems tackling. I didn't see FSU have any problems tackling yesterday. I don't see Wisconsin have problems tackling and I don't see the Seattle Seahawks, who use the THUD method, have this problem.

I'm going to blame lack of consistency. We played BCU, then had like 3 weeks off, then played Toledo, Duke, and now FSU. I'm going to assume that as the season progresses, as we become more consistent, we'll be better. If not, it's on coaching and technique. I'll reserve judgement once we get 4 games in a row under our belt.

Tackling is very very little "technique" and more about mentality, willingness, heart and desire.

Advertisement

Tackling is very very little "technique" and more about mentality, willingness, heart and desire.

Technique matters too. Mentality and effort does too but just trying or wanting too is not enough.

I'm a firm believer in tackling and form.

The amount of times our LBs and Safeties tried to throw their shoulder into Akers and Patrick, rather than wrap them up, was ******* maddening.

Our first guy rarely made the tackle yesterday.

alot of shoulder tackles from every single linebacker that played, was so mad. To me Akers was the only guy we had to contain and then bumb *** Patrick got loose cause of containment failer by redwine and others

The amount of times our LBs and Safeties tried to throw their shoulder into Akers and Patrick, rather than wrap them up, was ****ing maddening.

Our first guy rarely made the tackle yesterday.

i was screaming at the tv cause i saw the same thing im like just wrap up and u got him, they were trying to make highlight hits like if they were sean taylor or some ****. A team with that type of talent u cant do that

Advertisement
Back