Coaching guru's - Do we tackle enough in practice?

Listen, I see where this thread is going and I have to respectfully disagree. I don't see Bama having problems tackling. I didn't see FSU have any problems tackling yesterday. I don't see Wisconsin have problems tackling and I don't see the Seattle Seahawks, who use the THUD method, have this problem.

I'm going to blame lack of consistency. We played BCU, then had like 3 weeks off, then played Toledo, Duke, and now FSU. I'm going to assume that as the season progresses, as we become more consistent, we'll be better. If not, it's on coaching and technique. I'll reserve judgement once we get 4 games in a row under our belt.

Tackling is very very little "technique" and more about mentality, willingness, heart and desire.

Oh it's technique too, my brother. We're not in the era of blowing up ppl anymore...so if a 200+ plus individual is coming at me, I have to know leverage, angle, and where to wrap in order to, not only slow him down, but bring him down w very little extended momentum.

Advertisement
Something is definitely wrong. We get to the qb we'll but both Duke and FSU drilled us on the ground with GT coming.

The amount of times our LBs and Safeties tried to throw their shoulder into Akers and Patrick, rather than wrap them up, was ****ing maddening.

Our first guy rarely made the tackle yesterday.

i was screaming at the tv cause i saw the same thing im like just wrap up and u got him, they were trying to make highlight hits like if they were sean taylor or some ****. A team with that type of talent u cant do that

This, gentlemen. That's been half the problems. They need to tackle through ppl. Wrap, lift up, slam....much more effective then trying to thump w a shoulder.

I think this is a growing problem at all levels of football going forward. The whole CTE thing is sort of forcing teams to go thru the week with very little hitting. We are starting to see the differences in the game itself.

k9 - You're old enough to remember the stories of Jimmy Johnson's infamous Wednesday scrimmages. Many an old skool Cane football player would say that the Wednesday scrimmages were tougher than most of their games on Saturdays. I don't think we'll ever see that again.

From youth on up, the governing agencies restrict contact, scrimmaging, etc. Here in Virginia youth follows Virginia High School League football rules which limits contact. VHSL follows the National organization. Most of it has to be thud work.

Advertisement
I'm not an advocate of full-padded practices during the season.

In this case the layoff may be affecting their tackling and the lack of a bye week to correct it sucks.

But tackling can be taught effectively (I think more effectively) without pads.

It just depends on the drills and whether or not Diaz is a coach who focuses on technique more than scheme.

Tuesdays should be MANDATORY full pad days with live tackling drills. No ifs, buts or dUh. After all, these guys are YOUNG and have three full days to recover until Saturday. hUh.

Tuesdays should be MANDATORY full pad days with live tackling drills. No ifs, buts or dUh. After all, these guys are YOUNG and have three full days to recover until Saturday. hUh.

It's not necessarily about "recovering" from the contact it's the cumulative affects over the season and the lingering injuries that can occur.

And it's just not necessary to be a good tackling team.

It's been proven time and time again at every level.

Find some good drills and work them each and every day in shells.

Though still a violent game, it's not what it used to be. As someone already mentioned, coming up in the 90s we did two a days and had tackling drills with full contact and Oklahoma on the regular. It was brutal but fun and effective. I may not remember where my *** is sometimes but I'd do it again a thousand times over.

That's where having a indoor practice facility comes in. Practice more times then it's allowed and practice with more intensity then is allowed. Like the only minor NCAA violations bama reports

Advertisement
Is the Thud technique different to the Hawk technique we were selling last year?

No Hawk technique is what the Seattle Seahawks started about 5 years ago. Tries to take the head out of play as much as possible. A lot of rugby-style tackling technique. Thud drills are full pads. Just don't take a player to the ground.

Miami's biggest problem from what I see is some of our kids are taking bad angles. Bad angles result in kids whiffing, or leaving their feet or hitting too high. Being out of position to tackle is never a good thing.

It did seem weird that we go stretches on D where it looks like we forget we are actually allowed to use arms to wrap a guy up... Whole bunch of plays left on the field because of it. Need to be better as the season progresses no excuses.

Listen, I see where this thread is going and I have to respectfully disagree. I don't see Bama having problems tackling. I didn't see FSU have any problems tackling yesterday. I don't see Wisconsin have problems tackling and I don't see the Seattle Seahawks, who use the THUD method, have this problem.

I'm going to blame lack of consistency. We played BCU, then had like 3 weeks off, then played Toledo, Duke, and now FSU. I'm going to assume that as the season progresses, as we become more consistent, we'll be better. If not, it's on coaching and technique. I'll reserve judgement once we get 4 games in a row under our belt.

Tackling is very very little "technique" and more about mentality, willingness, heart and desire.

Technique matters too. Mentality and effort does too but just trying or wanting too is not enough.

I'm a firm believer in tackling and form.

You're right i shouldn't have stated that technique doesn't matter cause it does, but they learn the technique with the "thud." You don't have to take people to the ground to have technique.

Oh it's technique too, my brother. We're not in the era of blowing up ppl anymore...so if a 200+ plus individual is coming at me, I have to know leverage, angle, and where to wrap in order to, not only slow him down, but bring him down w very little extended momentum.

And all of that can be accomplished with thud practices. Bottom line a lot of our problems is tackling when the opportunity is presented.

However iwth all of the bad they had half of their rushing yards on easily corrected things like not loafing, leverage, and wrapping up

Advertisement
Some of our tackling woes begin with our strength program. Our secondary has to be one of the smallest units in all of college football.

It's been a problem all season but it was obvious they were looking for blood in the FSU game.

Advertisement

Technique matters too. Mentality and effort does too but just trying or wanting too is not enough.

I'm a firm believer in tackling and form.

You're right i shouldn't have stated that technique doesn't matter cause it does, but they learn the technique with the "thud." You don't have to take people to the ground to have technique.

Gotcha

Advertisement
Back