Coaching & Development v. Star Whores

i think we need to stop hating on Coach O. USC was a mess, and as an interim coach he went 6-2; SC decided to go Helton instead of him, and SC’s boosters were ****ed.

He went 6-2 as an interim at LSU
Then 9-4
Then 10-3
Now 15-0

Again, we’re associating Ole **** w Ed. He’s not the same guy

his assistants are better. hes an elite recruiter. good for him tho as its been a lonnnngg journey for him to get here

Advertisement

According to this they had 7 blue chips on offense by your definition. Not to mention their defense is an embarrassment of riches.

They are great developers of talent, clearly, but to insinuate that they aren't stacked is just flat out wrong. You have to do both things very well to win at this level. We suck at both.

a team full of 3 stars isnt going to threaten for any sort of title. you need the elite dudes along with great coaching.

That's all Dabo had when he won the 1st Natty @ clemson.
Just went through the Clemson depth chart for the 2016 season.. they had 9 blue chip (4/5 stars) starters on offense and 9 on defense, including 3 total 5 stars.

While stars certainly aren't everything, they absolutely are a clear indicator for consistent success. As in life, it's all about balance. Bring in the right talent and have the right guys in place to develop them to reach their potential.

Advertisement
Just went through the Clemson depth chart for the 2016 season.. they had 9 blue chip (4/5 stars) starters on offense and 9 on defense, including 3 total 5 stars.

While stars certainly aren't everything, they absolutely are a clear indicator for consistent success. As in life, it's all about balance. Bring in the right talent and have the right guys in place to develop them to reach their potential.
Sorry, I guess I remembered that a little weird. But Swinney started at Clemson in 2008, which was 1 year after Saban started at Bama. It took him forever to get the program going. My point was mainly that Miami has had better recruiting than Clemson did up until 2015. And even then Clemson's recruiting classes went: 2015: #9, 2016: #11, 2017: #17 (Miami had the #12th class here). So it just shows it really is more about coaching than just pure talent. Look at Ole Miss, they had the #5 recruiting class in 2016, worse than Clemson, and look where that got em. Granted that was all that bag dropping IIRC.

Sorry, put me in the star ***** category. Nobody is winning now without hitting the blue chip ratio.

But, roster management, depth, coaching and evaluating players for your system all do matter.

LSU has mofitt we do not
the last time we had mofitt we had the greatest collection of talent in CFB history

Sorry, I guess I remembered that a little weird. But Swinney started at Clemson in 2008, which was 1 year after Saban started at Bama. It took him forever to get the program going. My point was mainly that Miami has had better recruiting than Clemson did up until 2015. And even then Clemson's recruiting classes went: 2015: #9, 2016: #11, 2017: #17 (Miami had the #12th class here). So it just shows it really is more about coaching than just pure talent. Look at Ole Miss, they had the #5 recruiting class in 2016, worse than Clemson, and look where that got em. Granted that was all that bag dropping IIRC.
Agreed completely. Before that championship, they were winning 10 and 11 games with high teen/twenties recruiting classes (#27, #20, #15, #16 from 2011-2014, all of which Miami had higher rated classes). But I guess my big point is, you can win 10 games with good/great coaching alone (which in turn leads to better recruiting; see our recruiting class in 2018), but you absolutely cannot win a national championship and have continued, consistent, high level success without getting high level talent and properly developing that talent.

Advertisement
Their S&C program is elite. Did you see that picture of their O line? Idc what they came in rated, those boys put in work.

Advertisement
Back