Coaching Carousel- Merged Coaching Musical Chairs Thread

Advertisement
I’m envious of Auburn being in a position to hire Clark but it’s funny that they’re going down a stupid path. It’s like something we’d do.

The bad part is that if they don’t hire Clark, and someone like Mullet leaves UiF, there’s a good candidate there. Not sure Mullet’s leaving or that they’d hire Clark.
Clark is the perfect candidate for Auburn, grew up just about an hour North of Auburn, went to Jacksonville State, coached at 4 different Alabama High schools, was DC at South Alabama, HC at Jacksonville State & just won his 2nd CUSA conference title at UAB with a 66% winning percentage.

By having so many stipulations on who the new HC can hire, they’re literally cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Clark is the perfect candidate for Auburn, grew up just about an hour North of Auburn, went to Jacksonville State, coached at 4 different Alabama High schools, was DC at South Alabama, HC at Jacksonville State & just won his 2nd CUSA conference title at UAB with a 66% winning percentage.

By having so many stipulations on who the new HC can hire, they’re literally cutting off their nose to spite their face.

When was the last great Auburn coaching hire? Shug Jordan before we were born? Help me out here.

When you think Auburn, historically, you don’t think great coaching hires. At least I don’t - I’m struggling with this one.

They don’t wanna lose any ground in recruiting, so they’re trying to keep their Aces on staff in guys like Kodi Burns & Cadillac Williams, but no new HC would ever agree to those terms.

They’ve backed themselves into a corner by doing that, no one but Steele can have the job if they’re not gonna allow these other candidates the ability to hire their own staff.

What an asinine decision on their part.
The best part is apparently TWill and Kevin Steele don't get along.... Candidates are free to let TWill walk.....

Advertisement

It’s his dream job

Sark never failed as a HC. He built up Washington and was winning at SC. I'd love for him to be at Miami. Dude was/is an alcoholic but has won where hes coached

Built up Washington to what exactly? They were 8-4 in his 5th season following a bunch of 7-6 seasons. Peterson had them in the playoffs his 3rd season

He wasn't any better at USC

Some coaches should stay coordinators

When was the last great Auburn coaching hire? Shug Jordan before we were born? Help me out here.

When you think Auburn, historically, you don’t think great coaching hires. At least I don’t - I’m struggling with this one.
Probably Tuberville, but **** I don’t think Malzahn was all that bad either, I mean he was 68-35 for his career with a 66% winning percentage, he couldn’t get over the hump, but expectations are probably unrealistic.

Terry Bowden was good for them too until his last season at AU, he had problems with recruiting & clashed with the AD & administration at AU so they axed him.

I just think AU’s problem is they live in Bama’s shadow & are constantly chasing an unattainable ladder of success by always comparing themselves to Bama.

bill clark is a **** good coach. Already in alabama he would be an excellent hire. His teams are always sound! UABs program was cut and they werent playing football. In 3 years he brought it back better than ever.

Advertisement
He was a falling down drunk with a lower winning percentage as a HC than Manny, didn’t win a single thing in 7 years, but otherwise a great success at his two P5 jobs.

Seriously, where do you guys come up with this shlt?

If you don’t pass the Manny bar, it’s a non starter.

He took a bottom dweller team in Washington that didn’t win a game before he was hired and set the groundwork for what the program is now. USC went 9-4 then got canned for drinking.

I wasn’t comparing him to Manny although i do think Sark would do better here but not by much. Manny didn’t have to build a program from nothing.

Advertisement
Probably Tuberville, but **** I don’t think Malzahn was all that bad either, I mean he was 68-35 for his career with a 66% winning percentage, he couldn’t get over the hump, but expectations are probably unrealistic.

Terry Bowden was good for them too until his last season at AU, he had problems with recruiting & clashed with the AD & administration at AU so they axed him.

I just think AU’s problem is they live in Bama’s shadow & are constantly chasing an unattainable ladder of success by always comparing themselves to Bama.

Which is where I was going with this. Is Malzahn all that bad? Are they going to hit a home run with this next hire or are they going to wish they had given Malzahn more support?

I’m guessing Malzahn lands on his feet somewhere else.

Advertisement

11686197._UY400_SS400_.jpg

Maybe..

..The little squirt who used to come on ESPN.. one of the Bowden kids who went 2 years unbeaten with bowl bans..
Yes that’s right. They needed to put a box under him he was so short.

Fun fact: his QB at Auburn was Pat Nix.

Tommy Bowden was his offensive coordinator.

Advertisement
Back