Coach to keep an eye on

Advertisement
I live about 1/2 mile from Siena’s campus. Had no idea he went there.

He must have played with Reggie Greene, a RB that finished his career in ‘98 as the all-time leading rusher in D1-AA.

Siena had a good football program but the school basically “hates” sports…abolished the team for cost cutting. Of course they love when the basketball team has a nice 2-3 year run each decade, and brings in a bunch of money. That gives the school a chance to get on their high horse and choose scholastics over sports. Refuse to give HC a raise, let him leave. Make an awful hire. Then the alumni get ****ed, no one goes to games…rinse and repeat.

Cool story: Rick Pitino is big into horses and has always been a regular at Saratoga Race Track (about 25 minutes from Siena). He went through back channels to express interest in the HC job. Had overwhelming support from alumni and Siena BOT. They voted and all were in favor of hiring him EXCEPT the school president. He was the only one to vote no. Their bylaws require unanimous BOT vote.

It’s amazing and frustrating at the same time how Siena’s holier than thou/virtuous approach to things mirrors UM. I know someone had a thread recently on whether a school really benefits from good sports or not. I just can’t see how successful sports programs don’t have benefits that outweigh the costs, when there are checks and balances in place.
**** thanks for the info man!

Siena. Haven’t they made a few appearances in the basketball tourney? I feel like they made a big upset or two

**** thanks for the info man!

Siena. Haven’t they made a few appearances in the basketball tourney? I feel like they made a big upset or two
They beat Stanford in 89 I believe which was the biggest upset in NCAA tourney history (by seed) at the time. They also had a really good run in 2008-2010 with Fran McCaffrey as HC (currently at Iowa).

Several times in their history they’ve had momentum and the administration always seems to squander it. Not to say they could be as big as Gonzaga is right now, but it goes to show what can be done, even at a small private university, if everyone is aligned with the same goals.

I live about 1/2 mile from Siena’s campus. Had no idea he went there.

He must have played with Reggie Greene, a RB that finished his career in ‘98 as the all-time leading rusher in D1-AA.

Siena had a good football program but the school basically “hates” sports…abolished the team for cost cutting. Of course they love when the basketball team has a nice 2-3 year run each decade, and brings in a bunch of money. That gives the school a chance to get on their high horse and choose scholastics over sports. Refuse to give HC a raise, let him leave. Make an awful hire. Then the alumni get ****ed, no one goes to games…rinse and repeat.

Cool story: Rick Pitino is big into horses and has always been a regular at Saratoga Race Track (about 25 minutes from Siena). He went through back channels to express interest in the HC job. Had overwhelming support from alumni and Siena BOT. They voted and all were in favor of hiring him EXCEPT the school president. He was the only one to vote no. Their bylaws require unanimous BOT vote.

It’s amazing and frustrating at the same time how Siena’s holier than thou/virtuous approach to things mirrors UM. I know someone had a thread recently on whether a school really benefits from good sports or not. I just can’t see how successful sports programs don’t have benefits that outweigh the costs, when there are checks and balances in place.
Would you want Rick Pitino associated with your school, especially if you were a religious institution? Exactly. Unfortunately, we live in a country where rational, sane people would look the other way at pedophilia, if it meant that the football team won games.

Siena would be best served finding a coach worth a **** without Pitino's baggage and paying him. Eventually, if he wins enough, he's going to leave anyway, because Siena has a ceiling. Then rinse and repeat. Problem is that it's difficult to string successful hires together. There's a reason why most blue blood schools, even with their resources have down periods, because all it takes is a couple of bad hires and you're in the dumps for a decade.

They beat Stanford in 89 I believe which was the biggest upset in NCAA tourney history (by seed) at the time. They also had a really good run in 2008-2010 with Fran McCaffrey as HC (currently at Iowa).

Several times in their history they’ve had momentum and the administration always seems to squander it. Not to say they could be as big as Gonzaga is right now, but it goes to show what can be done, even at a small private university, if everyone is aligned with the same goals.
Gonzaga shows what happens when you get a legendary coach that decides that they like it at a small school and is willing to stay for decades. UNLV had that with Tark. Once Few retires, or leaves, Gonzaga will go back to being a solid program that dominates their conference, but isn't nationally relevant.

Advertisement

Good stuff man. I know I recognize the school from basketball and they had a couple of wins

very cool

Advertisement
We need a big **** swinging country boy who speaks with a smooth drawl, ain’t afraid to quote scripture with a dip in, and makes the mammas’ panties wet.
Looks like you should be doing the prospecting and interviewing. You get my vote!

Advertisement
Luke Fickell would be nice
Fickle has never lived outside the state of Ohio. Not sure he would fit at Miami.

There’s a few up and coming guys I’m watching this year. Charles Huff at Marshall. Will Hall at Southern Miss (just lost his 1st game). The offensive coordinator at W Kentucky just came from FBS and brought half his squad with him. I watched some of their film (Houston Baptist) and this guy has major program pass game coordinator written all over him, maybe even OC.

Then the more established guys like Billy Napier, or to a lesser extent, Jeff Traylor at UTSA.

If and when Manny is let go, we need to hit lightning in a bottle with an up and comer.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back