**Coach Rumph recruiting**

337CaneNation

Sophomore
FROM TOS.....

Mike Rumph makes good impression on Chris Steele, family

Chris Steele still doesn’t have a date locked in for his first trip to Coral Gables, Fla. However, it’s not keeping Miami from being at the forefront of the 5-star cornerback’s recruitment.

Steele still says he plans to take his first unofficial visit to Miami during the coming weeks, but until then the Hurricanes are doing all they can to remain on the short list of favorites for the elite defensive back. Cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph is making a strong pitch to the entire Steele family.

“My dad and coach Rumph talk nearly every single day. He’s left a great impression not just on myself, but on my family, as well,” Steele told DieHards on Wednesday. “I’ll be out there very, very soon.”

Steele’s massive profile continues to rise this spring, which has made him a top priority for Miami even from three time zones away. The 247Sports composite rankings currently consider Steele the No. 3 cornerback and No. 31 overall player in the nation. After back-to-back defensive back MVPs at a Rivals 3 Stripe Camp in Glendora, Calif., on March 4 and The Opening Los Angeles regional Sunday in Costa Mesa, Calif., Steele might rise even more.

Of course, every team across the country wants to land Steele. For the Hurricanes, he could be a perfect fit.

Rumph’s personality, right now, is what stands out to Steele most. The 6-foot-1, 176-pound corner is drawn to Miami’s reputation for developing talent with swagger and the assistant coach embodies it.

“Who wouldn’t want to play for a coach like Coach Rumph? He played in the league, played at Miami,” Steele said. “He has the exact same mindset as me, he has that mindset to where — how can I word this? I was on the phone with him yesterday. I can’t say his exact words, but his words to me were basically, ‘We treat receivers like little girls.'”
Steele has been talking with just about the whole defensive staff since the Hurricanes offered Jan. 23. Safeties coach Ephraim Banda was the first to reach out to Steele and now Steele talks with defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, too.

Visit dates across the board are in flux for Steele. The product of St. John Bosco High School in Bellflower, Calif., still has an official visit locked in with Oklahoma for April 14, but other dates with Louisville, Florida and LSU are now up in the air. Alabama, Texas A&M, Texas, Southern California and Oregon will try to take advantage of openings.

Steele, however, says not to read too much into his eventual official visit schedule, which could bode well for Miami. The blue-chip prospect is set to commit Sept. 27, and since the Hurricanes don’t plan on hosting spring officials there won’t be much time to get Steele in before he makes his decision. Steele is taking enough unofficial visits to feel comfortable with his options.

“Whether I take an official or not to a certain school doesn’t really mean anything,” Steele said. “That’s not really going to mean too much in my recruitment.”

MY BAD, I JUST REALIZE THIS WAS TALKED ABOUT IN ANOTHER THREAD, MY BAD!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know some ppl will still have their feeling on Coach Rumph and that's perfectly fine with me, BUT this guy is really out here trying to get these recruits, HE'S JUST NOT SUCKING UP TO THEM--he's being real and straight forward and I guess some of these SoFla divas not feeling that!! I said this a while back (when a article came out about Rumph getting on Henderson's *** for something he did), Coach Rumph is from the time where Canes played football a different way then everyone else, and as a coach he brings that same old nasty attitude to the table, NO MATTER IF IT'S RECRUITING OR COACHING.. This is why this man is on the staff, we needed some faces from those old UM swag teams that can come here and show the new Canes how to play real Cane football!!

It just seems that Coach Rumph is not the type of recruiter/coach that is going to just tell you what you want to hear, he's going to tell it to you straight forward and it's up to you to like it or not!! I love it..

I love the fact that Coach Rumph is a no-nonsense type of guy; so is Coach Richt. He has that old school swag/vibe that many parents will undoubtedly fall in love with. However, ultimately, it is the players and not the parents that are making these decisions on where to sign.

Just like everything else in life, college football has evolved, and it a coaches adaptability to the evolution of the game that separates the good recruiters from the elite recruiters. Rumph just has to find a way to come across as relatable to these kids, while maintaining his old school swag.

Rumph isn't a salesman like Coley - which is good and bad in some cases. Rumph is a better coach by far than Coley, but Coley is a salesman and gets the 5 star kids (did with Campbell). I'm hoping that Rumph gets better in that aspect. If he pulls in Steele from USC country, then it would be a nice feather in his cap.

Advertisement
Rumph isn't a salesman like Coley - which is good and bad in some cases. Rumph is a better coach by far than Coley, but Coley is a salesman and gets the 5 star kids (did with Campbell). I'm hoping that Rumph gets better in that aspect. If he pulls in Steele from USC country, then it would be a nice feather in his cap.

UGA bought Campbell's services

Maybe getting Rumph out of South Florida to recruit will be a good thing. Coaching and development wise he's done a pretty good job. If he can pull this kid from Cali then perhaps he starts to lock down home grown talent as well. The CB's need take another step up and Rumph lands a big fish or two. That will make his recruiting failures of the past few years will sting less.

Sounds like Rumph is doing a great job with this kid. It's tough for me to like him ever since the Penn State game his Jr. year where I sat in a downpour at the OB only to see Chaffie Fields beat him on a go route for the winning TD. Yep, I hold grudges.

Advertisement
UGA bought Campbell's services
Don't think so. Classy kid, classy family according to all we hear. My question with him and with Surtain for that matter is was Rumph's long history with the families all the way from little league a thing that caused Rumph to lose his focus on what he's paid to do. In those previous roles he was their coach and advisor. You can bet he was a counselor to Michel and other players on his teams. Consider all you options etc. That's what he was paid to do. Now he's paid to represent one school and give reasons why all others are vastly inferior. Recruiting is hard sell. Hard to switch hats. Counting on recruiters with high school history has been a mixed bag for us. Ice at BTW, Gulliver, and Southridge are examples. This is just another Rumph theory of course. Steele will still be a good test.

Coley's sales skills mutve diminished in more humid conditions as he was getting his asss served here

Advertisement
I have heard it is extremely difficult for millionaire athletes to get attractive women.
Terry-Crews-WTF.gif

Advertisement

Ya the weird part about it is, most of us (myself) would probably respect a guy like Rumph's approach better...But 16-17 year olds fall for that salesman ish...Let's hope Rumph finds a nice medium.

Coley was hampered by Golden here. My friend coached two kids who i got there film to coley. he got one an offer, the other kid Golden wouldnt give an offer and the kid is rated a top 5 player at his position in this draft.

Its funny that people will hold on to the 'He can't recruit' rethoric for a 3rd year coach whose only 38 years old. IDK if anyone is paying attention but hes gotten better every year recruiting wise, and Micheal Jackson will let you know the man can coach. He's doing just fine and will only get better.

Advertisement
Back