Coach Richt on wqam today

I'd have prefered Butch to Mario, because Butch has actually won something. Butch had rebuilt Miami from ashes, so he'd done it before. Could he have done it again? I don't know. But trusting someone that has never done it, or won anything, wasn't a better option to me. See Randy and Al hires... Richt was, however, far and away the best out there. It's a shame he went to Georgia when he did, because he would have been the perfect guy for us when Davis left after the 2000 season. Think of all the crap we'd have saved ourselves the last 15 years had he not gone to Georgia and came to UM instead.
i do think butch could have won here? but for how long?

would he have been relevant in his 70's did we really just want a guy for 4 or 5 years (again?)

i believe we have a chance to keep richt for close to 10, which is awesome

Hey bro 72 is the new 68.

Advertisement
In all fairness, he was hurt most of last year, and came in injured his freshman year. I'll reserve judgement until I see him play injury free for more than half a season. Now, if he can't do THAT soon, I'll just label him as a guy that's hurt too much. :chuncky:
Sounds like richards and bruce are going to have the chance to play a ton right away. And just as I thought all along berrios just isn't that good.

I never imagined Berrios as anything more than a role player. Slot receiver, possession-type. There nothing wrong with this, those players have value, but Miami needs more first-line receivers.

In all fairness, he was hurt most of last year, and came in injured his freshman year. I'll reserve judgement until I see him play injury free for more than half a season. Now, if he can't do THAT soon, I'll just label him as a guy that's hurt too much. :chuncky:
Sounds like richards and bruce are going to have the chance to play a ton right away. And just as I thought all along berrios just isn't that good.

I never imagined Berrios as anything more than a role player. Slot receiver, possession-type. There nothing wrong with this, those players have value, but Miami needs more first-line receivers.

He isn't hurt now. Richt said there are no wr that scare defenses except 2. Those 2 are more than likely coley and cager.

Berrios didn't even play wr in high school and was getting hyped because he was a short white wr and everybody was quick to scream wes welker.

Golden sorry *** should have took mckenzie over him. At least he is one of the best kick returners in cfb.

Advertisement
I remember someone asking Richt about the Miami job mid-season and he didn't blow it off like he had in the recent past. That was a great sign at that point. And yes, there was real interest in the job this time around compared to 5 years ago. That is why I was so bothered by the Mario talk, and all his endorsements. Why bother even talking to a guy with his lack of success?
The relief I felt when Richt was named the head coach was two-fold. One, we got a great, experienced head coach. And two, we didn't hire Mario.
These must be very confusing interviews for ol' Joe Rose as it must seem like an alternate reality in which Mario Cristobal wasn't named our head coach.

it was the exact opposite of when we fired randy

other than gruden ( who we dont even know would have been a great college coach) there were NO good candidates , golden certainly wasnt the right hire, but its not exactly like we had alot to choose from

this time around two big jobs (USC and VT) had just been taken, when richt was fired, and we were the best jop open, plus we had began asking him about his interest in the job before, it worked out perfectly

I was all in on Mario vs butch or another coach mentioned, but when richt came up no way did I want anyone but richt. the guy is a great coach. has the best history of any coach Miami has hired. that said Mario to me was better then re hiring butch.

Lmaooh lawd

Willis a little light? All da posters be complaining he like Al and want to fatten em all up.

Actually, the hype was about his quickness, not his whiteness. I have a feeling a lot of the venom spewed towards him is because his skin color, though.

He isn't hurt now. Richt said there are no wr that scare defenses except 2. Those 2 are more than likely coley and cager.

Berrios didn't even play wr in high school and was getting hyped because he was a short white wr and everybody was quick to scream wes welker.

Golden sorry *** should have took mckenzie over him. At least he is one of the best kick returners in cfb.

Actually, the hype was about his quickness, not his whiteness. I have a feeling a lot of the venom spewed towards him is because his skin color, though.

Yeah, all the hype began when he posted a 3.83 shuttle time.

Advertisement

He may have been talking about Coley and Njoku.

I'd have prefered Butch to Mario, because Butch has actually won something. Butch had rebuilt Miami from ashes, so he'd done it before. Could he have done it again? I don't know. But trusting someone that has never done it, or won anything, wasn't a better option to me. See Randy and Al hires... Richt was, however, far and away the best out there. It's a shame he went to Georgia when he did, because he would have been the perfect guy for us when Davis left after the 2000 season. Think of all the crap we'd have saved ourselves the last 15 years had he not gone to Georgia and came to UM instead.

yes he did. but he is 64 has a history of ncaa violations following in his wake , even if he wasnt' involved and didn't do as well as north Carolina as he did at Miami, larry fedora has done better at n.carolina then butch.

no one who wasn't on butch bandwagon thinks he is a horrid coach. I just felt do to his age and 5 yrs out of college football Mario after years with saban was a better choice.

Yea coley and njoku is how I interpreted it. And I don't think he is insulting cager or berrios, just saying they aren't proven.

Yea coley and njoku is how I interpreted it. And I don't think he is insulting cager or berrios, just saying they aren't proven.
Absolutely. He is basically giving us an honest review as an outside coach. Cager looks like he has a ton of potential though.

Advertisement

He said wide receivers. He spoke separately about the tight ends. He talked about having three tight ends that are long and athletic.

He said wide receivers. He spoke separately about the tight ends. He talked about having three tight ends that are long and athletic.
Understood.

Hey if he is talking about Cager, I like it. He's such a big imposing kid even though hes got a lot of growing to do. Would be great if Richt already felt that way about him

Advertisement
any mention of the o-line. its the difference between a good year & a great one IMO.

-practice going well; had visiting coaches that were impressed with tempo
-kayaa: smart, dedicated, tall, can make all the throws when he sets his feet guess that's something they are working on)
-te: tall with long arms; nothing special mentioned
-wr: only have 2 that strike fear in opponents; need to improve that
Rb: have 3 good backs that can duo a little of everything
-OL: injuries; nothing good mentioned
DL: have a couple of good guys, need to increase the number to get guys in fresh that are fresh
-willis: little light but will get him up 5-10lbs by season start; athletic and lives football but thought he'd be bigger
-lb: tough position to play; want outside baskets that can cover for when we go against up tempo teqms
-defense: everyone will be blitzing but won't be every down, will be one gapping;
-coveragrs: we can't just be a team that does one thing(press bump); college coaches too smary,would pick us apart; NFL doesn't only play press but mixes it up to confuse offense; our guys will be learning various coverages

Wonder what WR he's referring to other than Coley? I really hope Searels can do something with this OL.

Advertisement
Back