Coach Richt on wqam today

Advertisement
These must be very confusing interviews for ol' Joe Rose as it must seem like an alternate reality in which Mario Cristobal wasn't named our head coach.

The relief I felt when Richt was named the head coach was two-fold. One, we got a great, experienced head coach. And two, we didn't hire Mario.
These must be very confusing interviews for ol' Joe Rose as it must seem like an alternate reality in which Mario Cristobal wasn't named our head coach.

Summary please.

Can't listen to anything with that **** Capt Curtis. Guy needs to drink bleach yesterday.

The relief I felt when Richt was named the head coach was two-fold. One, we got a great, experienced head coach. And two, we didn't hire Mario.

it was the exact opposite of when we fired randy

other than gruden ( who we dont even know would have been a great college coach) there were NO good candidates , golden certainly wasnt the right hire, but its not exactly like we had alot to choose from

this time around two big jobs (USC and VT) had just been taken, when richt was fired, and we were the best jop open, plus we had began asking him about his interest in the job before, it worked out perfectly

Advertisement
I remember someone asking Richt about the Miami job mid-season and he didn't blow it off like he had in the recent past. That was a great sign at that point. And yes, there was real interest in the job this time around compared to 5 years ago. That is why I was so bothered by the Mario talk, and all his endorsements. Why bother even talking to a guy with his lack of success?

other than gruden ( who we dont even know would have been a great college coach) there were NO good candidates , golden certainly wasnt the right hire, but its not exactly like we had alot to choose from

this time around two big jobs (USC and VT) had just been taken, when richt was fired, and we were the best jop open, plus we had began asking him about his interest in the job before, it worked out perfectly

I remember someone asking Richt about the Miami job mid-season and he didn't blow it off like he had in the recent past. That was a great sign at that point. And yes, there was real interest in the job this time around compared to 5 years ago. That is why I was so bothered by the Mario talk, and all his endorsements. Why bother even talking to a guy with his lack of success?

I was all in on Mario vs butch or another coach mentioned, but when richt came up no way did I want anyone but richt. the guy is a great coach. has the best history of any coach Miami has hired. that said Mario to me was better then re hiring butch.

I was all in on Mario vs butch or another coach mentioned, but when richt came up no way did I want anyone but richt. the guy is a great coach. has the best history of any coach Miami has hired. that said Mario to me was better then re hiring butch.

i agree, me and my buddy were talking coaching and when richt was down in miami interviewing we were going over the possible candidates and i told him
"you do realize if richt wants the job we have to give it to him right? we would be foolish to hire butch or anyone else with richt available"

i am glad we hired him, i am not being a homer when i say this

i truly believe miami presents richt with a better chance to win a national title than UGA

I'd have prefered Butch to Mario, because Butch has actually won something. Butch had rebuilt Miami from ashes, so he'd done it before. Could he have done it again? I don't know. But trusting someone that has never done it, or won anything, wasn't a better option to me. See Randy and Al hires... Richt was, however, far and away the best out there. It's a shame he went to Georgia when he did, because he would have been the perfect guy for us when Davis left after the 2000 season. Think of all the crap we'd have saved ourselves the last 15 years had he not gone to Georgia and came to UM instead.

Advertisement
I'd have prefered Butch to Mario, because Butch has actually won something. Butch had rebuilt Miami from ashes, so he'd done it before. Could he have done it again? I don't know. But trusting someone that has never done it, or won anything, wasn't a better option to me. See Randy and Al hires... Richt was, however, far and away the best out there. It's a shame he went to Georgia when he did, because he would have been the perfect guy for us when Davis left after the 2000 season. Think of all the crap we'd have saved ourselves the last 15 years had he not gone to Georgia and came to UM instead.
i do think butch could have won here? but for how long?

would he have been relevant in his 70's did we really just want a guy for 4 or 5 years (again?)

i believe we have a chance to keep richt for close to 10, which is awesome

I'm kinda relieved when I hear the coaches giving less than glowing reviews of some of our players/units. It at least tells me they know what a top team should look like and aren't going to BS us and tell us this team looks like one. We know they don't. It seemed like the previous staff used to sugarcoat things in front of the reporters. The plan was always in place and working, when it was fairly obvious to us all that it wasn't.

Butch could have coached another 10 years +. See Bill Snyder. I do see your point, though. My response to that would be this.. Would the program be better off in 5 years with Butch retiring, or 5 years of more failure? Hiring Mario could have been disastrous. Not just if he didn't get results, but because it would show the college football world that we aren't serious about winning, because we aren't serious about hiring a quality head coach. We quieted everyone in the media with the Richt hire. Even if Richt underperforms here, and I don't expect him to, at least we showed the world we're paying with the big boys to compete. Recruits notice that. Fans notice that. We go cheap with a hire, fans speak with their wallets and go cheap as well. Butch would have created a positive buzz amongst 90% of the fanbase. Richt scores even higher. Mario? Not even close.

would he have been relevant in his 70's did we really just want a guy for 4 or 5 years (again?)

Butch could have coached another 10 years +. See Bill Snyder. I do see your point, though. My response to that would be this.. Would the program be better off in 5 years with Butch retiring, or 5 years of more failure? Hiring Mario could have been disastrous. Not just if he didn't get results, but because it would show the college football world that we aren't serious about winning, because we aren't serious about hiring a quality head coach. We quieted everyone in the media with the Richt hire. Even if Richt underperforms here, and I don't expect him to, at least we showed the world we're paying with the big boys to compete. Recruits notice that. Fans notice that. We go cheap with a hire, fans speak with their wallets and go cheap as well. Butch would have created a positive buzz amongst 90% of the fanbase. Richt scores even higher. Mario? Not even close.

in all fairness to mario cristobal

im not going to say he COULDNT win at miami

i just believe the odds of us winning under richt or butch are greater

Advertisement
May you please kindly give me a summary of his interview since I am Deaf in real life? Much appreciated! :)

I agree with this. He very well may have. However, if he didn't, how many years does that set UM back?

in all fairness to mario cristobal

im not going to say he COULDNT win at miami

i just believe the odds of us winning under richt or butch are greater

-practice going well; had visiting coaches that were impressed with tempo
-kayaa: smart, dedicated, tall, can make all the throws when he sets his feet guess that's something they are working on)
-te: tall with long arms; nothing special mentioned
-wr: only have 2 that strike fear in opponents; need to improve that
Rb: have 3 good backs that can duo a little of everything
-OL: injuries; nothing good mentioned
DL: have a couple of good guys, need to increase the number to get guys in fresh that are fresh
-willis: little light but will get him up 5-10lbs by season start; athletic and lives football but thought he'd be bigger
-lb: tough position to play; want outside baskets that can cover for when we go against up tempo teqms
-defense: everyone will be blitzing but won't be every down, will be one gapping;
-coveragrs: we can't just be a team that does one thing(press bump); college coaches too smary,would pick us apart; NFL doesn't only play press but mixes it up to confuse offense; our guys will be learning various coverages

Advertisement
Sounds like richards and bruce are going to have the chance to play a ton right away. And just as I thought all along berrios just isn't that good.

Sounds like richards and bruce are going to have the chance to play a ton right away. And just as I thought all along berrios just isn't that good.

I never imagined Berrios as anything more than a role player. Slot receiver, possession-type. There nothing wrong with this, those players have value, but Miami needs more first-line receivers.

Advertisement
Back