Coach Larrañaga: This is a crazy business now

Advertisement
No one is stopping him from fixing it... owing up to what went wrong is the first step...
... and since you mentioned.. there were many games at the start of the season where even during blowouts, he refused to give significant minutes to the bench players. Those kinds of decisions affect player development, bench depth and attitude
I guess you missed his presser. Other than Nwoko, whom? None of us were at practice. We have no idea how they were practicing, what effort was given, how was their attitudes? Very clear Watson and Casey were given every opportunity to play more. Go back and look at the minutes. ****, these kids weren't even very good during minutes during blowouts.

Let's go back to the Virginia where Larranaga was outside the huddle on a timeout. As he stated, they draw up a play and then the kids would not execute it. How many times did we come out of a time out and we looked lost? This team was selfish and the kids mailed it in. Larranaga gave Watson and Casey ever opportunity to get more playing time. Sure, Nwoko should have gotten more time early but most of the time he was a defensively liability. Instead of working hard and earning a starting job next year, which is open, he is bailing. George played early and really struggled. Larranaga stayed with him. As soon as there was a sniff he could be an NBA pick his game started going south in a hurry. Where is Joseph going? Does he think he is getting more PT at a P4 school? He played a ton of minutes and quite frankly too much. It impacted his defense. Benz is a good kid and popular teammate but you think he would say to himself what a ****show I need to get this right. That's what Sam did and he was key to our Elite 8 run after 3 losing seasons.

I'll stand by that Larranaga appears to be relieved that a lot of these kids are exiting. Bring in 6 talented and hungry mid-tier players and set up a summer trip overseas again.

I think Bens is portaling because his role as a starter next year was not guaranteed.

Advertisement
L definitely didn’t want Bens to portal… he’s a championship level rotation player. But I think L was honest with Bens… hence Bens in portal looking for NIL and a feature role.
As a third guard you can do far worse but he wants to start

Two things can be true

1. Injuries hurt the season
2. Injuries hurt the season because we had no depth, which is the coaching staff's fault
Feels like a classic “no room for grey” turf war playing out here. This was a subpar year of coaching from L, who set himself up for failure with his roster construction. The team also quit on a level that goes beyond what a coach can reasonably overcome, did so quickly and repeatedly, to a degree that they should be personally embarrassed by their results.

The pendulum can swing in both directions as the clock falls apart.

Advertisement
Feels like a classic “no room for grey” turf war playing out here. This was a subpar year of coaching from L, who set himself up for failure with his roster construction. The team also quit on a level that goes beyond what a coach can reasonably overcome, did so quickly and repeatedly, to a degree that they should be personally embarrassed by their results.

The pendulum can swing in both directions as the clock falls apart.
The two biggest mistakes on the roster construction side were assuming Cleveland could fill the Miller void and not finding an adequate replacement for Wong. Having to move Bensley into the starting lineup completely killed our bench. Casey and Watson were safe bets as far as being able to functionally contribute and that further torpedoed depth.

In my opinion L quit on his team. His comments and body language told me he was disengaged, distant and not interested.

As the leader of our program that is never acceptable. Look the guy will be 75 before next season, so I understand his frustration if his guys weren't responding. However, even if your team, a team that he put together, is not responding you soldier on coaching your rear off.

If the leader quits, so will the team. Our two great years should have been a foundation to springboard to continued success. Unfortunately, it became a soft pillow full of excuses.

L definitely didn’t want Bens to portal… he’s a championship level rotation player. But I think L was honest with Bens… hence Bens in portal looking for NIL and a feature role.
Benz was one of the 8 last year who wanted to portal out. No P4 school is giving him a feature role. He would be better off working his *** off and improving his handle and 3-point shot and coming back. He folded way too much in crunch time. Might be fatigue but that was a huge issue with him. Likeable kid. Hate to see him go.

Advertisement
Benz was one of the 8 last year who wanted to portal out. No P4 school is giving him a feature role. He would be better off working his *** off and improving his handle and 3-point shot and coming back. He folded way too much in crunch time. Might be fatigue but that was a huge issue with him. Likeable kid. Hate to see him go.

I wouldn’t say that Bens wanted to portal out last year… he wanted a starting role. Things played out in a way that he ended up staying.

I think this year he saw that it would be unlikely for him to have a starting spot in 24-25.

I wouldn’t say that Bens wanted to portal out last year… he wanted a starting role. Things played out in a way that he ended up staying.

I think this year he saw that it would be unlikely for him to have a starting spot in 24-25.
Well, we don't have a point guard on the roster unless Pack is returning.

Advertisement
I wouldn't be surprised is Benz just wanted a fresh start. You guys are crazy if you don't think that Benz or his family and friends, possibly former coaches weren't aware of the brutal beating he took right here on this board. Seriously why would he stay? Would you tell your kid or some kid you coached to stick around when more than half the fanbase were screaming at the top of lungs that they never want to see him again? I wouldn't.

Thats not a criticism on anyone here but with the way kids can move around its almost a no brainer to go someplace and start all over again, even at a smaller school if your current fanbase hates you.

Probably Nwoko too.

In terms of Coach L's disdain for for portaling, I get it. Saban left for similar reasons. But UConn is right back near the top again, so coaches have figured out a formula. He needs to as well or he's going to get phased out.

Looks like we're going to have as many as 6 open spots or more so get to shopping Coach L. Buy yourself another winner. Stop thinking about growing freshmen to seniors. That era is done.

I wouldn't be surprised is Benz just wanted a fresh start. You guys are crazy if you don't think that Benz or his family and friends, possibly former coaches weren't aware of the brutal beating he took right here on this board. Seriously why would he stay? Would you tell your kid or some kid you coached to stick around when more than half the fanbase were screaming at the top of lungs that they never want to see him again? I wouldn't.

Thats not a criticism on anyone here but with the way kids can move around its almost a no brainer to go someplace and start all over again, even at a smaller school if your current fanbase hates you.

Probably Nwoko too.

In terms of Coach L's disdain for for portaling, I get it. Saban left for similar reasons. But UConn is right back near the top again, so coaches have figured out a formula. He needs to as well or he's going to get phased out.

Looks like we're going to have as many as 6 open spots or more so get to shopping Coach L. Buy yourself another winner. Stop thinking about growing freshmen to seniors. That era is done.
It's good to know that the 30 people who commented on this board the whole season made up half of the Miami fanbase

I sure hope Jim brings in a Much Needed Able PG... and I also sure hope that Jim decides who starts, not the Benz (or other player)
Well, that is guaranteed we are going portal diving for a guard. Of course, Jim decides. It is Bensley's job to make that decision easy. Wasn't that difficult this fall. Not a lot of options.

Advertisement
Back