Coach Larrañaga: This is a crazy business now

In my opinion, yes. I thought he had potential. But there must be another side to the story.
L discussed it during the press conference. You could tell he was frustrated about losing SOMEONE to the portal, and I bet you it was Nwoko. The others were extremely likely losses. Nwoko needs development time, the issue is that L and his staff can't be honest with him because this is exactly what happens. Honestly, Nwoko needs a redshirt, a year to learn how to play basketball, because it's obvious he's an athlete with little feel for the game. 15 years ago, it would have been perfectly acceptable to redshirt and develop. Now, if a freshman doesn't get starters minutes, most of them are hitting the portal.

I hate to say it, but to take advantage of the free transfer, you should have to spend at least 2 years at a school, unless the coach leaves or there's NCAA violations. If you leave before that, you have to sit a year. Freshmen bailing after one year, is beyond insane.

Advertisement
I wouldn't be surprised is Benz just wanted a fresh start. You guys are crazy if you don't think that Benz or his family and friends, possibly former coaches weren't aware of the brutal beating he took right here on this board. Seriously why would he stay? Would you tell your kid or some kid you coached to stick around when more than half the fanbase were screaming at the top of lungs that they never want to see him again? I wouldn't.

Thats not a criticism on anyone here but with the way kids can move around its almost a no brainer to go someplace and start all over again, even at a smaller school if your current fanbase hates you.

Probably Nwoko too.

In terms of Coach L's disdain for for portaling, I get it. Saban left for similar reasons. But UConn is right back near the top again, so coaches have figured out a formula. He needs to as well or he's going to get phased out.

Looks like we're going to have as many as 6 open spots or more so get to shopping Coach L. Buy yourself another winner. Stop thinking about growing freshmen to seniors. That era is done.

L's issue with the portal isn't that it exists(Like Saban), his issue is that honestly, the current system as it is set up hurts more kids than it helps. Young student athletes now are playing program hopscotch, if they don't get exactly what they want. L isn't digging in like Dabo Swinney, L isn't saying "I won't take portal kids", what he is saying is that there's no point in trying to develop guys, especially youngsters, because your program likely won't benefit, that is if the kid even bothers to stick around for development. Look at Favour Aire. He is back in the portal, he will play at 3 different schools in his career, how much has that hurt his development? Would he have been better served staying at Miami, learning more and working? Would he have been better served by giving a HOF quality coach more than 9 months to help him?

I'm a big supporter of player freedom, both financially and in regards to leaving, but the current system is hurting a lot of student athletes. There has to be a solid medium, to where players can move on if need be, but programs can have some certainty in who comes back, who they should work with.

L discussed it during the press conference. You could tell he was frustrated about losing SOMEONE to the portal, and I bet you it was Nwoko. The others were extremely likely losses. Nwoko needs development time, the issue is that L and his staff can't be honest with him because this is exactly what happens. Honestly, Nwoko needs a redshirt, a year to learn how to play basketball, because it's obvious he's an athlete with little feel for the game. 15 years ago, it would have been perfectly acceptable to redshirt and develop. Now, if a freshman doesn't get starters minutes, most of them are hitting the portal.

I hate to say it, but to take advantage of the free transfer, you should have to spend at least 2 years at a school, unless the coach leaves or there's NCAA violations. If you leave before that, you have to sit a year. Freshmen bailing after one year, is beyond insane.
Bens was attrition. Nwoko was a loss.

L said all he could say in the press conference about the situation.

I think Bens is portaling because his role as a starter next year was not guaranteed.
It's EXTREMELY unlikely Bens is starting if he returned to Miami. If Pack comes back(Which is very possible), Bens is on the bench, no way L lets him start over Bethea and that's before you get into any new portal guards. Bens is at his best off the bench, but I understand WHY he would be interested in wanting to start somewhere. Keep in mind, he's moving into his senior year, he can't afford to take the risk of his minutes being cut.

Last edited:
It's EXTREMELY unlikely Bens is starting if he returned to Miami. If Pack comes back(Which is very possible), Bens is on the bench, no way L lets him start over Bethea and that's before you get into any new portal guards. Bens is at his best off the bench, but I understand WHY he would be interested in wanting to start somewhere. Keep in mind, he's moving into his junior year, you don't want to be a one year rental for someone.
Bens is a great kid with a great family. He’s capable of being a great rotation player on an elite team.

Even if Pack doesn’t return I think your first sentence is right.

And I think L was honest with Bens.

Advertisement
Bens is a great kid with a great family. He’s capable of being a great rotation player on an elite team.

Even if Pack doesn’t return I think your first sentence is right.

And I think L was honest with Bens.
I think he was honest too. Bens is a glue guy that can play, but you can't have him as a starter on a top end team. He's either a starter on a mediocre team, or a key rotation piece on a potential top end team.

It's EXTREMELY unlikely Bens is starting if he returned to Miami. If Pack comes back(Which is very possible), Bens is on the bench, no way L lets him start over Bethea and that's before you get into any new portal guards. Bens is at his best off the bench, but I understand WHY he would be interested in wanting to start somewhere. Keep in mind, he's moving into his junior year, you don't want to be a one year rental for someone.
Are we sure he's a junior this upcoming season? He's played 3 seasons at Miami. None red shirted. He's a senior next season.

I wouldn't be surprised is Benz just wanted a fresh start. You guys are crazy if you don't think that Benz or his family and friends, possibly former coaches weren't aware of the brutal beating he took right here on this board. Seriously why would he stay? Would you tell your kid or some kid you coached to stick around when more than half the fanbase were screaming at the top of lungs that they never want to see him again? I wouldn't.

Thats not a criticism on anyone here but with the way kids can move around its almost a no brainer to go someplace and start all over again, even at a smaller school if your current fanbase hates you.

Probably Nwoko too.

In terms of Coach L's disdain for for portaling, I get it. Saban left for similar reasons. But UConn is right back near the top again, so coaches have figured out a formula. He needs to as well or he's going to get phased out.

Looks like we're going to have as many as 6 open spots or more so get to shopping Coach L. Buy yourself another winner. Stop thinking about growing freshmen to seniors. That era is done.
All 10 of us on the CIS board.

Jim has made his success at Miami hinged on transfers. I think what was new to him was 8 players a week after losing in the Final Four wanted to portal out. Instead of trying to run it back he had to convince half of them to stay. Casey and Watson couldn't even give us Beverly and Walker performances. At least Harland and Anthony always played with effort.

Again, pretty clear Jim understands the game has changed. He'll adjust.

Advertisement
Are we sure he's a junior this upcoming season? He's played 3 seasons at Miami. None red shirted. He's a senior next season.

I double checked, he is a junior, so he is a one year rental. Even more so a reason for him to transfer, you don't want to leave your last year to chance in regards to minutes if they aren't guaranteed.

Last edited:
Feels like a classic “no room for grey” turf war playing out here. This was a subpar year of coaching from L, who set himself up for failure with his roster construction. The team also quit on a level that goes beyond what a coach can reasonably overcome, did so quickly and repeatedly, to a degree that they should be personally embarrassed by their results.

The pendulum can swing in both directions as the clock falls apart.

I'm not in the fire or force him to retire now camp. I want to give him another year, but I'm also going to point out the problems.

Perhaps but that is the era that we we're in. Kids aren't just thinking about development anymore. They're considering playing time and maybe even NIL deals. Time on the court and or NIL trumps being developed by a paticular coach or attending a particular school.

The addition of NIL and the new transfer rules have given kids the same options as the coaches. Loyalty to programs is gone. Its all about them.

It's good to know that the 30 people who commented on this board the whole season made up half of the Miami fanbase
Like I said its not a critique on any individual, but if you followed this board because your son or brother played played here and saw how he got trashed every single game and when the season was over he asked you should he stay or should he go, would you really tell him to stay when he could go someplace else and hit the reset button? Kids can go to the NBA from almost any team in America.

In the old days you might say **** yes, don't lose that one year of eligibility but it makes no sense to endure that when you can just go elsewhere and start over without losing eligibility.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Like I said its not a critique on any individual, but if you followed this board because your son or brother played played here and saw how he got trashed every single game and when the season was over he asked you should he stay or should he go, would you really tell him to stay when he could go someplace else and hit the reset button? Kids can go to the NBA from almost any team in America.

In the old days you might say **** yes, don't lose that one year of eligibility but it makes no sense to endure that when you can just go elsewhere and start over without losing eligibility.
I never played any sport on the college level, I am not an NBA scout and have no experience with it.

However, I can confiedently say that there is not a single NBA team that will pick up Bensely Joesph no matter what team he plays for. Benz has capped out as a college player and that is a simple fact. Realisticaly speaking he has maxed out as a career backup. What the CIS board says about it wont change that. And I watched every game this year and can also confidently say that Benz had a ****-ton of boneheaded plays and turned the ball over way more then he ever did.

He tried to be something he wasnt and rightfully got critized for it. If you dont want people talking **** about you on message boards... dont play a sport that is nationally televised

I think he was honest too. Bens is a glue guy that can play, but you can't have him as a starter on a top end team. He's either a starter on a mediocre team, or a key rotation piece on a potential top end team.
Yep. Bens was adequate as a backup Guard in the ACC (something he can be proud of). We've known who he was and what his ceiling was for a couple years now. IMO, he played up to his potential and I can't kill him for that.

It'll be interesting to see where he lands and how he performs at his next stop.

Not disagreeing, but those who got trashed almost every game almost always deserved it. This is a fan commentary forum, not a fan club. Is anyone supposed to feel guilty? cmon, play better and toughen up, family too. Much less trashing if don't lose 10 in a row and next to last in the motley ACC this year. It's more a business than a sport or hobby more and more.

Advertisement
Not disagreeing, but those who got trashed almost every game almost always deserved it. This is a fan commentary forum, not a fan club. Is anyone supposed to feel guilty? cmon, play better and toughen up, family too. Much less trashing if don't lose 10 in a row and next to last in the motley ACC this year. It's more a business than a sport or hobby more and more.
Ths isn't a PSA on not trashing kids. Just an observation.

Fans will always speak their minds and I suppose that they should. But as to my question earlier, would you send your kid back here?

I'd tell mine to try his luck with a summer of hard work and a smaller school.

Last edited:
I never played any sport on the college level, I am not an NBA scout and have no experience with it.

However, I can confiedently say that there is not a single NBA team that will pick up Bensely Joesph no matter what team he plays for. Benz has capped out as a college player and that is a simple fact. Realisticaly speaking he has maxed out as a career backup. What the CIS board says about it wont change that. And I watched every game this year and can also confidently say that Benz had a ****-ton of boneheaded plays and turned the ball over way more then he ever did.

He tried to be something he wasnt and rightfully got critized for it. If you dont want people talking **** about you on message boards... dont play a sport that is nationally televised
Definitely not telling you what to do or that your critque of him is wrong. I've criticized him myself. It was just a theory into why he left amongst probably many reasons.

I don't think that he has any obligation to play for us anymore and if he had a choice, I don't see why he would.

He's obviously not being developed here.

Last edited:
Is there any prayer that Nwoko decides to pull out of the portal?

I am just so incredibly confused by his entry. There are no good/great programs that are going to guarantee him a starting spot - We (by all accounts) were going to do just that. L said it himself in a presser.

Just a very puzzling decision. He was set up for a lot of success here.

Is there any prayer that Nwoko decides to pull out of the portal?

I am just so incredibly confused by his entry. There are no good/great programs that are going to guarantee him a starting spot - We (by all accounts) were going to do just that. L said it himself in a presser.

Just a very puzzling decision. He was set up for a lot of success here.
The Five Reasons Sports Canes podcast summed it up pretty well on their pod from earlier this week - young players like Nwoko often get approached by other programs, regardless if they're perceived to be better programs or not, and get wooed, promised more prominent roles, etc.,

Nwoko clearly wants to step into a situation that appears to be more set up for him - regardless if that ends up actually being the case - rather than continuing to develop and actually have to earn it at the program he's at. I see another Favour Aire situation but that's just me.

Advertisement
Back