Coach L - Next Year is Key

cyrez8

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
For all the crap so many of you think about Coach L, this team just beat the potential #5 ACC team without Chris Lykes.

Yes, I agree he's talked about the FBI garbage too much and he failed to counter the negative effects from it.

But we've had some terrible luck and injuries this year and I'm very excited about next year.

Absolutely zero excuses to not get back to our NCAA Tourney ways next year. If we are miserable again or even miss the NCAA Tourney, I definitely think Coach L will look deep inside and start thinking about retiring from the game.

Advertisement
4 seniors likely starting next year. ZERO excuses.

PG/G - Chris Lykes (Sr.)
PG/G - Zay Wong (So.)
G/F - Kam McGusty (RSr.)
F - Sam Waardenburg (RSr.)
C - Nysier Brooks (RSr.)

First Rotation:
G - Harland Beverly (So.)
F - Anthony Walker (So.)
C - Rodney Miller (RSr.)

Deep Bench:
F - Matt Cross (Fr.)
F - Earl Timberlake (Fr.)
F - Deng Gak (RJr.)

Advertisement
I am not on the "Fire Coach L" bandwagon nor am I on the "extend Coach L's contract " bandwagon.
Next year should be a good season. My opinion of a good season is 25 wins, win the ACC regular season and/or ACC tournament plus reach the Sweet Sixteen and potentially the Final Four.
On paper, the team next season looks like 2013 and 2016 so that is the standard of a "good season" under Coach L.
The biggest problem during Coach L's tenure is sustained success or consecutive "good seasons".

If Whataburger isn’t coming off the bench next season coach L learned nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Coach L is what Coach L is so Lykes, McGusty, Sam and Rodney are guaranteed to start because they are seniors. In the world of Coach L and his love affair with older players, being a seniors guarantees a player a starting role and 20 plus minutes.
Even if Anthony Walker becomes Obi Toppin next season, Sam and Rodney will start and Brooks will be the first big off the bench.
This is what it is.

Advertisement

PG/G - Chris Lykes (Sr.)
PG/G - Zay Wong (So.)
G/F - Kam McGusty (RSr.)
C - Nysier Brooks (RSr.)

First Rotation:
F - Anthony Walker (So.)
C - Rodney Miller (RSr.)

Deep Bench:
F - Matt Cross (Fr.)
F - Deng Gak (RJr.)

I agree with you on the four seniors starting. Coach L would probably prefer to start all 5 seniors but Sam cannot play the 3.
It would be better for the team(IMO) of Earl Timberlake starts and Wong comes off the bench. Only because Earl will be the best defensive player on the team when he arrives on campus and he brings some toughness to an occasionally soft team.
Cross will bring some toughness to the 2nd unit.
My concern is Coach L will only play 7 players if Wong starts when he has a solid 10 man group.

For all the crap so many of you think about Coach L, this team just beat the potential #5 ACC team without Chris Lykes.

Yes, I agree he's talked about the FBI garbage too much and he failed to counter the negative effects from it.

But we've had some terrible luck and injuries this year and I'm very excited about next year.

Absolutely zero excuses to not get back to our NCAA Tourney ways next year. If we are miserable again or even miss the NCAA Tourney, I definitely think Coach L will look deep inside and start thinking about retiring from the game.

After any loss next season, Coach L will blame the FBI investigation as the reason because he does not have any juniors on the roster as they lost an entire recruiting class.
The media will print it and some fans will believe it.
Very few are smart enough to realize that Coach L failed to use the scholarships on grad transfers to continue winning and keep the momentum he had built about the basketball team.

Coach L is what Coach L is so Lykes, McGusty, Sam and Rodney are guaranteed to start because they are seniors. In the world of Coach L and his love affair with older players, being a seniors guarantees a player a starting role and 20 plus minutes.
Even if Anthony Walker becomes Obi Toppin next season, Sam and Rodney will start and Brooks will be the first big off the bench.
This is what it is.
Rodney is not starting over Nysier next year

I agree with you on the four seniors starting. Coach L would probably prefer to start all 5 seniors but Sam cannot play the 3.
It would be better for the team(IMO) of Earl Timberlake starts and Wong comes off the bench. Only because Earl will be the best defensive player on the team when he arrives on campus and he brings some toughness to an occasionally soft team.
Cross will bring some toughness to the 2nd unit.
My concern is Coach L will only play 7 players if Wong starts when he has a solid 10 man group.
Zero chance Wong isn't starting next year

Advertisement
Zero chance Wong isn't starting next year

If you want to get the best out of Isaiah Wong then he does not need to be on the court at the same time with Chris and Kam.
If you think about the best games and moments Isaiah has had this season, it comes when Lykes is not playing or Lykes is not on the floor.
Isaiah will not get many shot attempts in the ball screen offense when Lykes and McGusty dribble the ball 15 to 20 times each in the half court.
Also, the starting lineup needs a defensive stopper but the senior are going to start.
I am not saying it is right, I am saying this is what it is.

This coaching staff top to bottom has so much to prove to our fan base next season. The pieces are there I'm not convinced the coaching staff & philosophy on both ends of the court is.

Advertisement
Nysier alone will give us 4-5 plus wins instead of Rodney... we sorely need an athletic big. Rodney is an AAC player if that

PG/G - Chris Lykes (Sr.)
PG/G - Zay Wong (So.)
G/F - Kam McGusty (RSr.)
C - Nysier Brooks (RSr.)

First Rotation:
F - Anthony Walker (So.)
C - Rodney Miller (RSr.)

Deep Bench:
F - Matt Cross (Fr.)
F - Deng Gak (RJr.)
Sam needs to be deep on the bench

The biggest negative effect seems to have been on Coach L, personally. Like it really diminished his outlook and drive. Not sure he's yet returned to his previous level. At his age, not easy to deal with. Did nothing wrong yet, at the lowest point, was being painted as a cheater, negating his lifetime hoops legacy.

I've said this in several threads already so I'll keep it short: we need an entire overhaul to our offensive "strategy". The current one dimensional, stagnant ball screen offense relies on a lot of individual play making and "hero" ball. Unless you have superb athletes and/or amazing 3 point shooters, that is not a recipe for consistent success.

The "plays" we draw up out of timeouts are also some of the worst I've ever seen. L needs to do a critical evaluation of his coaching staff.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back