Coach L - Next Year is Key

Advertisement
Also, Brooks is not the answer inside. He's a depth guy on a good team. If we go into a third consecutive season without a quality ACC starting caliber big AND without a point guard, I give up. It's inexcusable.

I've said this in several threads already so I'll keep it short: we need an entire overhaul to our offensive "strategy". The current one dimensional, stagnant ball screen offense relies on a lot of individual play making and "hero" ball. Unless you have superb athletes and/or amazing 3 point shooters, that is not a recipe for consistent success.

The "plays" we draw up out of timeouts are also some of the worst I've ever seen. L needs to do a critical evaluation of his coaching staff.
You don't see many but when we do they usually are ineffective. For a team that is as scoring challenged as us you have to have a few sets that can get you an easy bucket or two a game. I have to go back to 2015-2016 to think of legit sets we ran that resulted in open looks.

For the last 4 seasons I have been screaming to stop the inbound play where we just chuck it other side of court and set up our ineffective high ball screen offense. Was pleased to see us get away from that this season thank god.

Advertisement
I've said this in several threads already so I'll keep it short: we need an entire overhaul to our offensive "strategy". The current one dimensional, stagnant ball screen offense relies on a lot of individual play making and "hero" ball. Unless you have superb athletes and/or amazing 3 point shooters, that is not a recipe for consistent success.

The "plays" we draw up out of timeouts are also some of the worst I've ever seen. L needs to do a critical evaluation of his coaching staff.
This team had no rebounders, defenders, leapers or just plain athletes inside this season. At all! That being the case, I don't think any "system" would've made us better. Put another way, I don't think this group of players under-performed. If anything, we maybe won more than I would've thought. The ACC, being so "down", helped.

Have you? Brooks averaged those numbers in less than 23 MPG. Brooks also averaged 1.5 BPG.

Rodney averages less in all 3 and plays more MPG. Rodney is also a tremendous defensive liability.

I have watched him and his highlights are in the Nysier Brooks thread. Good in the AAC is different from good in the ACC.
Not to defend Rodney's defensive ability because it is not great. Part of the problem is that he is the only big on the roster so he is probably saving himself on defense to try to stay in the game.
Let's have this discussion next season after 10 games.

Advertisement
I have watched him and his highlights are in the Nysier Brooks thread. Good in the AAC is different from good in the ACC.
Not to defend Rodney's defensive ability because it is not great. Part of the problem is that he is the only big on the roster so he is probably saving himself on defense to try to stay in the game.
Let's have this discussion next season after 10 games.

“Saving himself on defense”?

This team had no rebounders, defenders, leapers or just plain athletes inside this season. At all! That being the case, I don't think any "system" would've made us better. Put another way, I don't think this group of players under-performed. If anything, we maybe won more than I would've thought. The ACC, being so "down", helped.

They didn't under perform. 7 wins was right what I expected because the talent is lacking. We have the same caliber of marginal/flawed players that we had in the Clark and Haith years.

The claim to fame for L is he used to consistently get his teams to overachieve. When is the last season we truly overachieved?

Advertisement
Life would be a lot easier for Coach L if he would just get talent and achieve like other coaches.
Acquiring talent is a lot easier said than done. I think our backcourt is talented enough to have success in the ACC, although the lack of a true point guard kills us.

Our frontcourt, on the other hand, is barely mid major quality on a good day.

Bruce Pearl and Auburn is a perfect example of what can be achieved on the court at a "football school" that has no hoops heritage.

Advertisement
Acquiring talent is a lot easier said than done. I think our backcourt is talented enough to have success in the ACC, although the lack of a true point guard kills us.

You would then need to get a big who is 6'10 and around 220 lbs. Sign him and redshirt him for his 1st year on campus then gradually increase his role each year he is at the school. That is what Tony Bennett did Jay Huff. That is what the 12th and 13th scholarships should be used for each year.
It would also help a lot if the bigs were more involved in the offense other than setting screens and watching the guards dribble and shot.

You're way too kind to our frontcourt.

Advertisement
Back