Coach L Appreciation Thread

Advertisement
I was one of the people who picked us to win against USC and Auburn so no I didn’t write him off until this weekend. I’m just not one to claim nothing is his fault when the roster construction was a disaster, bc he couldn’t find a decent 5 man and left open scholarships.

Believe it or not you don’t have to only love or hate a coach. You can praise him and criticize him when needed.

It’s the people who are silent when the team is playing like garbage and then when they win, claim the people who were unhappy are ridiculous. It’s happens on here in every sport. Manny supporters were blind for 3 years. Gino supporters are still trying to make it seem like baseball is in a good place. Coach L is the first coach here in a while to right the ship after falling off the map.
I hear you loud and clear dude. At the end of the day we're all Canes fans and we want nothing more than to see the teams play well. Unfortunately in coach L's case, I think your criticism isn't warranted. Especially considering the circumstances with The FBI/Adidas scandal costing us suspensions and recruiting issues and sprinkle in a ton of injuries. That is what you would call a very unfortunate set of circumstances to deal with at the same time. John Wooden couldn't have done a better job under the same circumstances. But you go ahead and continue to try and justify your message board mantra that Coach L forgot how to run a program and a team during that unfortunate time period.

losing by double digits to davidson and 30 to bama deserves no heat. got it. move on son.
Did you listen to the coach when he addressed the first part of the season woes? Where he explained that the team was working on a new system and these guys were trying to figure out how to play together? Obviously you didn't.
So you go ahead and boo hoo about 2 bad losses at the begging of the season while we play in the sweet 16 with a chance to win a national title. Comical.

Advertisement
I never really had a huge problem with people who had issues w/ L's roster management and talent acquisition the last few years. I think a lot of it can be explained by the Adidas scandal but there was a worrisome mix of guys shuffling in and out of the program combined w/ a lower level of recruiting. I could see what people were looking at when it came to that stuff.

The argument I can never get on board with -- and which was still a prevalent complaint on this board as recently as the second half of the win over USC -- is this idea that Miami is poorly coached. L is an awesome basketball coach, and we're actually playing a pretty modern, pro-style of ball right now, going small and taking advantage of bigger teams by playing hard at the rim and fighting for rebounds on the glass and then using our speed and quickness to exploit the opponent's defense. What's really clear with this team is that they have an identity, they understand how they're supposed to play, and because of that they execute well, play with confidence, play hard, and believe in each other. To me that is a sign of a very well coached team. It was clear throughout a season where we made the tournament fairly comfortably -- we ran a lot of the same stuff against Auburn that we did against Duke -- and yet you would constantly read criticism of the coaching on this board.

People have come up with all sorts of reasons to say that L can't coach -- guys missing free throws, dealing with end of game leads, attacking zone defenses, all sorts of wild nonsense complaints about the offense. This stuff was always minor. You're never going to have a perfect team in college basketball, but it's clear in listening to L talk about basketball and watching his teams play that the guy can coach. I hope this run puts that question to bed.

I hear you loud and clear dude. At the end of the day we're all Canes fans and we want nothing more than to see the teams play well. Unfortunately in coach L's case, I think your criticism isn't warranted. Especially considering the circumstances with The FBI/Adidas scandal costing us suspensions and recruiting issues and sprinkle in a ton of injuries. That is what you would call a very unfortunate set of circumstances to deal with at the same time. John Wooden couldn't have done a better job under the same circumstances. But you go ahead and continue to try and justify your message board mantra that Coach L forgot how to run a program and a team during that unfortunate time period.
That scandal set the program a year I’ll give you that. But it didn’t set it back 3 years, his roster mismanagement did that. Injury bug hit hard I’ll give him a break there, but it still was a product of open scholarships and bad signings.

He’s the best coach this school has ever had, but he’s not above criticism.

The entire legend stays above criticism thing is exactly how the baseball program go to where it is today. Morris should’ve been let go 3-5 years earlier. One person cannot be put above the program.

Last edited:
That scandal set the program a year I’ll give you that. But it didn’t set it back 3 years, his roster mismanagement did that. Injury bug hit hard I’ll give him a break there, but it still was a product of open scholarships and bad signings.

He’s the best coach this school has ever had, but he’s not above criticism.

The entire legend stays above criticism thing is exactly how the baseball program go to where it is today. Morris should’ve been let go 3-5 years earlier. One person cannot be put above the program.
Yeah but when you're being critical of a coach just because you can, you look kind of silly. Especially in a case like this . Coach L's scenario is nothing like Gino's and absolutely nothing like Morris's or any other coach for that matter.. If you want to die on the sword of being able to be critical of a coach that got side swiped by a bogus FBI investigation and a plethora of injuries and now has his squad playing in the sweet 15, have at it dude.

Just a heads up dude... This is an appreciation thread for Coach L and fans like yourself can't help but find a way to criticize the man. There are a ton of anti L threads you can bump where you can join that tired *** pitty party but nooooooo, you just can't help yourself, can ya?. Even after after last night's win. Lol, Almost unbelievable. Almost!

Advertisement
I just don’t get why we’re still here doing this. Why is it so hard for Coach L slurpers to admit that maybe he hasn’t been perfect the last few years and could have done a better job managing the roster, even amidst the well documented turmoil. And on the other hand why is it so hard for Coach L haters to admit that he’s done amazing things at UM and proved many of us wrong this season that didn’t think he had the energy left to rebuild this thing to a winner. MORE THAN ONE THING CAN BE TRUE AT THE SAME TIME. They don’t have to be fundamentally exclusive of each other.

I just don’t get why we’re still here doing this. Why is it so hard for Coach L slurpers to admit that maybe he hasn’t been perfect the last few years and could have done a better job managing the roster, even amidst the well documented turmoil. And on the other hand why is it so hard for Coach L haters to admit that he’s done amazing things at UM and proved many of us wrong this season that didn’t think he had the energy left to rebuild this thing to a winner. MORE THAN ONE THING CAN BE TRUE AT THE SAME TIME. They don’t have to be fundamentally exclusive of each other.
This is my exact point. But CIS doesn’t have room for reasonable people.

Thank you for this appreciation thread! Coach L deserves it. Whether or not he deserved criticism of various types earlier in the season (and past seasons) seems to be a matter of substantial disagreement, and maybe there are better places to discuss that than in this special "complimentary" thread.

I would remind some however that even criticism "looking back" while applauding current performance and success does not disqualify one as a thoughtful and dedicated Canes fan. And I'm sure if there were (or are) "Criticize Coach L" threads, many would come in and offer contrary opinions (in them.) That is the nature of C.I.S. and a free society.

I respect and think as a courtesy we should refrain from any negativity (about Coach L) here, as you request. But it is a bit of a slippery slope, perhaps.

Advertisement
Did you listen to the coach when he addressed the first part of the season woes? Where he explained that the team was working on a new system and these guys were trying to figure out how to play together? Obviously you didn't.
So you go ahead and boo hoo about 2 bad losses at the begging of the season while we play in the sweet 16 with a chance to win a national title. Comical.
I love Coach L. I think most Canes fanes take him for granted. I agree 100% he had it rolling until that fbi bull****. Which only seemed to hurt Miami & nobody else. And Coach L did nothing wrong. God **** that was bull****! I appreciate your loyalty to him but I also think there is nothing wrong with some pushback after a couple bad losses or some questionable moves. I’m hoping with the new AD and the added resources a season like this can become the floor for this program. Btw I never understood not filling all the scollys.

Bama and Dayton weren't even "bad" losses. Bama beat Gonzaga by 9 points, in their home state. Also beat Tennessee. Dayton has a long rich hoops history and is always at or near the top of the A10. They won 24 games, including wins over Kansas and VT.

Advertisement
No team wins every game they are supposed to. Coach L is class, he is fun, and he is a GREAT coach. Only an imbecile would try to dispute any of that. I wish he could stay 70-something and we could give him a lifetime contract. I would rather have him than any other coach from any team.

And the FBI crap set us back MULTIPLE YEARS, while not harming the actual cheaters one bit. But what else is new in the world, in sports, and especially for Hurricane Sports.

Advertisement
Back