Coach Kul

None of us were. Him and art were just cokers scapegoats. Really was the beginning of the end

When Sol ripped Tyrone Moss for being outta shape and it was he that got reprimanded by Coker(not the player who was outta shape) I knew UM was cooked with him in charge. To me, that said everything about the culture and leadership in place. Sol is one of the best coaches this program has ever had

Advertisement
Kul came in as about the only named hire Mark made, but the jimmies and the joes who flowed have not been exciting. If we had lost Nesta this year, Kul’s stay would have been disaster. Without Miami level DTs coming in the door every year, it doesn’t matter how good he coaches the DEs. DT is the essential position at Miami, even Kul said as much. Mark needs to hire a top 4-3 dline coach who will recruit. That pair of freshmen coming in this year have the makings of old school Cane DTs, but Kul should have had two or three like them last year and a couple more this year. He got the low hanging fruit and got lucky in Duval County.

On a side note, something i havent seen mentioned in this yet, baez got a promotion. Hes no longer recruiting coordinator. Im interested to see the difference that will make having him more active in the field. george is an unstoppable force in recruiting these jits. Everyone loves him

I know Baez gets a lot of praise - just curious, what makes him so good on the trail?

Advertisement
Put Hartley on any of the kids he was recruiting and they'll be too scared to say no or flip.

My wild guess is that Kul took the Miami job thinking either 1) Miami and his reputation alone would land elite DLine prospects. Or 2) The expectations here were low enough that he could load up on 3stars projects, work his magic and no one would ask for more. Either way, I think he took this job believing it would be low work for a good payday until he could really cash in.

I like this move by Richt showing that will cut ties with anyone who is not all in on Miami

Advertisement
This was the first thing that popped into my mind when the news broke. He would be an absolute monster back in Miami. He's one of the best DL coached in the business.

Go Canes!

Not sure Orgeron would fit in with Richt. Dude was a wild man back in the day at Miami.

On a side note, something i havent seen mentioned in this yet, baez got a promotion. Hes no longer recruiting coordinator. Im interested to see the difference that will make having him more active in the field. george is an unstoppable force in recruiting these jits. Everyone loves him

Great he got a promotion but it seems he won’t have that same impact he used to. Maybe I’m reading it wrong. Am I?

Not sure Orgeron would fit in with Richt. Dude was a wild man back in the day at Miami.

He's been off the sauce for years. His wife Kelly has been a great influence. He is a much different guy than his younger wilder days. He might not be a fit as a head coach, but his time at USC shows he can recruit and developed DL with the best of them. In case it's not obvious I have met the man and have a very high opinion of him. Big fan.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
My wild guess is that Kul took the Miami job thinking either 1) Miami and his reputation alone would land elite DLine prospects. Or 2) The expectations here were low enough that he could load up on 3stars projects, work his magic and no one would ask for more. Either way, I think he took this job believing it would be low work for a good payday until he could really cash in.

I like this move by Richt showing that will cut ties with anyone who is not all in on Miami
Dont think that CMR cut ties with anyone Kuwl left us. He didnt get let go.

Great he got a promotion but it seems he won’t have that same impact he used to. Maybe I’m reading it wrong. Am I?

You're reading it wrong. Dee's saying he'll have a bigger impact now that he'll be able to be out in the field recruiting, instead of just on campus. How that works, I'm not entirely sure, since I thought you had to be a coach in order to recruit off campus.

Advertisement
I know Baez gets a lot of praise - just curious, what makes him so good on the trail?
Hes alot like richt in that he puts the parents at ease. He can relate to the kids but hes clear with families that he wants mom & dad knowing their kids wont have free run of miami without some morals and some discipline. Just like richt he wants people knowing were interested in these kids becoming good young men.

He's been off the sauce for years. His wife Kelly has been a great influence. He is a much different guy than his younger wilder days. He might not be a fit as a head coach, but his time at USC shows he can recruit and developed DL with the best of them. In case it's not obvious I have met the man and have a very high opinion of him. Big fan.

Go Canes!
I love ed to death. Wish he could be back here. He'd kill it down here. He gets a real bad rap off documented incidents from his past. That man is dead & gone to him.

If he really wants to be in the NFL, and he is as good as everyone seems to think he is, there would be one of 32 spots for him,

I personally think he is/was a bit over rated. Sure, Bama wants him so that of course makes him good, but there is a disconnect.

Advertisement
Back