Coach Ice

The one thing about the internet, people rewrite history to suit their arguments.

Malzan, the main reason everyone gave at the time for his hiring at Arkansas as the OC'we was to land one VERY BIG recruit. Recruitniks will remember the name Mitch Mustain. The plot worked, they got Mustain, and while neither were at Arkansas for more than a year, Mustain followed Gus out the door with him going to USC and Malzahn to Tulsa, the rest is history.

One's career flourished from that point, the other not so much. Without Mustain, Gus most likely doesn't get that opportunity. He didn't get along with Nutt due to philosophical differences and a friend hired him to come to Tulsa.

Arkansas fans were beside themselves when he was hired as we would've been in the same situation. Of course people now want to chalk the opportunity up to him being some offensive genius, but there's a lot of high school coaches out there with great minds who never get that kind of opportunity.

Advertisement
The one thing about the internet, people rewrite history to suit their arguments.

Malzan, the main reason everyone gave at the time for his hiring at Arkansas as the OC'we was to land one VERY BIG recruit. Recruitniks will remember the name Mitch Mustain. The plot worked, they got Mustain, and while neither were at Arkansas for more than a year, Mustain followed Gus out the door with him going to USC and Malzahn to Tulsa, the rest is history.

One's career flourished from that point, the other not so much. Without Mustain, Gus most likely doesn't get that opportunity. He didn't get along with Nutt due to philosophical differences and a friend hired him to come to Tulsa.

Arkansas fans were beside themselves when he was hired to be their OC as we would've been as well. There's a lot of sharp high school coaches out there who never get an opportunity like that. Considering how good Mustain looked under Gus, but never again, in hindsight while Arkansas wanted Mitch....Gus was the real winner

Wasn't Malzhan and Freeze HC in HS just a few years ago...and neither one had a National Title at that level...they were given a chance..

Score one for Shaqs pop. This is true. I think Art Briles came from the HS ranks too right?

No, score another inaccuracy for shaq's pops and piling on by idiots who didn't do the research, or haven't actually followed anything related to any of those coaches.

Freeze had a head coaching position (where he won 10 games and a conference championship) as well as several years as a college coach prior to his Ole Miss Job.

Malzahn of course was an SEC west champion Co-ordinator, co-ordinator and assistant head coach at tulsa, co-ordinator for auburn (national champion), head coach at arky state (conference champion) prior to his current gig.

You also quickly forgot art briles worked with mike leach at texas tech, then was the head coach at houston for years before getting the baylor job.

Ice harris is like 29-23 as support staff to a football team. He is hardly even playing the same sport as those other coaches, let alone the same ballpark.

WTF does this even mean? You can't attribute a head coach's W/L record to any one position coach. Coordinators are a different story, but unless your RBs score every single TD or every TD against you is a direct result of your RBs fumbling (as in returning fumble recoveries for TDs), you're talking nonsense. And you especially can't attribute to Ice any wins or losses that happened WHEN HE WASN'T PART OF THE COACHING STAFF. This was Ice's first year as a position coach...granted, the team went 6-7, but are you really gonna sit there and blame that record on the running backs? Also, support staff involved with recruiting have a tangential relationship to the team's on-field performance at the most. They aren't even authorized to offer players--that's something over which the head coach has sole discretion.

Like Golden, you're making an argument with ultimately meaningless statistics (his "total defense" is your "record as support staff"). And while I agree that Ice is nowhere near ready to be a D-1 head coach, he still knows Miami high school football like the back of his hand. It's not his fault that Golden went 6-7 this year, destroyed any semblance of progress made in the prior three seasons, and generally neglected the most fertile recruiting grounds in America.
No, you just can't see the point I am making. All of those coaches experienced success at the college level, as members of staff, coordinators and then head coaches at mid major schools prior to stepping up to the plate at a major conference as a head coach.

Ice has never done any meaningful coaching or decision making, and has never been a part of a successful program at the college level (regardless of what capacity). Just because he fits in with the black community in miami's lower socioeconomic area's does not mean he would win here.

And you clearly missed the part where I agreed that Ice isn't qualified to be our next HC. That doesn't mean he's not a worthwhile position coach or recruiter, especially considering that a) three of BTW's four top prospects in 2015 never played for him, and b) not even Ice can make chicken salad out of the chicken **** that was last season.

Arkansas fans were beside themselves when he was hired to be their OC as we would've been as well. There's a lot of sharp high school coaches out there who never get an opportunity like that. Considering how good Mustain looked under Gus, but never again, in hindsight while Arkansas wanted Mitch....Gus was the real winner

Arkansas fans may have been beside themselves, but there is a lot of evidence that Malzahn had a ton of substance even as a HS coach. When coaches cross state lines to ask for help on copying your offense, you're doing something effective. There aren't a lot of sharp HS coaches who have other top coaches visiting them for technical insight.

Ice has his strengths, but they are different from Malzahn's.

Advertisement

great post. Gus got lucky but proven his worth tenfold

great post. Gus got lucky but proven his worth tenfold

The same could be said for Hugh Freeze.........He rode into Ole Miss with Micheal Oher riding shotgun..

One other thing about Mustain, when I said very big recruit, that didn't do him justice. I'm still surprised to this day he didn't pan out. I know there were rumors that his father was an issue and he felt entitled so maybe that was it. Or maybe he was a Gus product, who knows. Him and Matthew Stafford, both since I've followed recruiting I figured were can't miss prospects.

Jeebus man. People just don't learn. "Oh he's local he knows the scene". Oh "he can relate to the players". Oh "hes a winner".

Because he was a high school HC? Do you realize how many successful High School HCs have fallen flat on their faces at the next level? **** most assistants in college football have been HS HCs at some point.

Same argument that was used with Randy.

Its bull****. He's not qualified to be the HC at a major Division I program like UM. Being a High School coach, in Miami, at a school in the biggest hot bed of talent in the South Florida area, and where no one is really paying attention to what goes on with kids being recruited to play at different schools, is TOTALLY different than having to comete in the NCAA.

What pedigree does Ice have? What assistant coaches can he tap to come in? What sophisticated offense or defense does he excel at that will work at the highest levels of Division I football? He hasn't even been a coordinator in college ball, and people are ready to have him take over as HC?

And please stop using Golden as the measuring stick. Golden is a dead man walking. The alternative to Ice is not Golden, its a universe of smaller program Head Coaches, with experience, top level coordinators that know the game, successful systems, have coached under great coaches, know how to recruit, etc.... NFL coordinators that have deep coaching contacts and know their Xs and Os. Etc.

Just because the guy was a good High School coach, in a high school where he had the best talent in So Fla at his disposal, doesn't mean he knows D*CK about being an HC at this level.

Advertisement
Ice Harris is more qualified to be our HC and would produce a better product on the field than anyone else on this staph.

Arkansas fans may have been beside themselves, but there is a lot of evidence that Malzahn had a ton of substance even as a HS coach. When coaches cross state lines to ask for help on copying your offense, you're doing something effective. There aren't a lot of sharp HS coaches who have other top coaches visiting them for technical insight.

How would you list them? Other than the obvious, Local Pull.

I wouldn't say Ice is better than Malzahn right now but he is surely better than any of the joizy retards that are currently employed by UM.

Malzahn was a very successful coordinator at the college level before he became a head coach.

Lets see ICE calls some plays at the college level before we anoint him the savior.

Exactly the reason we cannot hire Cristobal. The guy has never coordinated am offense or defense in his life.

Advertisement

I don't know him, but from kids and people close to the program, he's a legitimately great communicator. Players buy into what he says and he gets the best from them. That's often undervalued.

Sometimes I can't tell if people on this board are pulling my leg or not (re: Ice as HC). Not sure if srs

So true. There's some statements in this thread that just make you shake your head if the poster is even close to being serious.

Its just more evidence of the mass delusion on this site. I mean seriously you could come on here and bark (loudly) that Sebastian was the most qualified candidate for our DL coach and he was only skipped over because of a Golden conspiracy and half the posters on this site would take it as the gospel.

Ice would be the first to tell you he is currently not qualified to be the head coach of Miami. Lets let him coach and recruit the RBs up... certainly not impressed with the RBs who decomitted from this class. I mean we literally have starting spot open for any kid who is man enough to come in here and take it and the only RB we get is from BTW.

I loved the Ice hire and i think he is ONE guy that will stand the test of time on this staff but he has not exceeded my expectations on any level. I thought this guy was the god father of South Florida. So far not clearly seeing the benefits, but feel like we should be stoked with him as an investment.

Most ppl on this board are sheep. One big time.posters says something and the sheep will follow. They keep bring up Freeze or Malzahn then saying "good coaches are good coaches" lol. Anybody with any sense knows Harris isnt ready to be a college HC.

Advertisement
I see none of you brought up Chad Morris, if I were to really do some digging I'm sure there are more examples to be found. The one common theme here is that all of the guys who went from high school to college ran Spread Offenses. Ice hasn't been given the opportunity to showcase his ability as an OC yet and run his system. With the huge amount of success he's had in highschool which is even greater than Gus, Freeze, Morris and others, its pretty safe to say that his system would translate over to the college ranks just like the others did. I do believe that he's being held back because of race though, if Miami had a HC who wanted to run spread, Ice should be given that OC job.

And as far as recruiting, kids arent coming here just because he's here, he doesn't have a significant enough position to get them to follow, if he were the OC, you would see nearly all of the offensive kids down here sign with UM to play in his system, fact. I've seen numerous big name kids get turned away from Booker T who tried to transfer in to play in that system, they can't take everybody.

I don't know him, but from kids and people close to the program, he's a legitimately great communicator. Players buy into what he says and he gets the best from them. That's often undervalued.

Aside from choosing a great staff and letting them coach, what you mentioned is the most important thing a HC can do. Parcells called it the HCs number one job.

Advertisement
Back