Coach Ice

Sometimes I can't tell if people on this board are pulling my leg or not (re: Ice as HC). Not sure if srs

Do you really think any experienced football coach could do worse than 6 wins at UM given our feeble schedule? The team could coach themselves to 5 or 6 wins, and I'm not exaggerating at all.

I wouldn't hire Ice as HC, but I can guarantee he'd win more than Folden.

Advertisement
When/If Al gets fired, he is one of the few coaches who I hope gets retained. (Kehoe, HBrown, LScott)

He can have a bright future. Not sure if he hitched his horse to the right wagon though.

Sometimes I can't tell if people on this board are pulling my leg or not (re: Ice as HC). Not sure if srs

So true. There's some statements in this thread that just make you shake your head if the poster is even close to being serious.

Advertisement

So true. There's some statements in this thread that just make you shake your head if the poster is even close to being serious.

Its just more evidence of the mass delusion on this site. I mean seriously you could come on here and bark (loudly) that Sebastian was the most qualified candidate for our DL coach and he was only skipped over because of a Golden conspiracy and half the posters on this site would take it as the gospel.

Ice would be the first to tell you he is currently not qualified to be the head coach of Miami. Lets let him coach and recruit the RBs up... certainly not impressed with the RBs who decomitted from this class. I mean we literally have starting spot open for any kid who is man enough to come in here and take it and the only RB we get is from BTW.

I loved the Ice hire and i think he is ONE guy that will stand the test of time on this staff but he has not exceeded my expectations on any level. I thought this guy was the god father of South Florida. So far not clearly seeing the benefits, but feel like we should be stoked with him as an investment.

Its just more evidence of the mass delusion on this site. I mean seriously you could come on here and bark (loudly) that Sebastian was the most qualified candidate for our DL coach and he was only skipped over because of a Golden conspiracy and half the posters on this site would take it as the gospel.

Ice would be the first to tell you he is currently not qualified to be the head coach of Miami. Lets let him coach and recruit the RBs up... certainly not impressed with the RBs who decomitted from this class. I mean we literally have starting spot open for any kid who is man enough to come in here and take it and the only RB we get is from BTW.

I loved the Ice hire and i think he is ONE guy that will stand the test of time on this staff but he has not exceeded my expectations on any level. I thought this guy was the god father of South Florida. So far not clearly seeing the benefits, but feel like we should be stoked with him as an investment.

I hope Ice and every other slug on this staff is canned immediately.

However, Al Golden is a known entity. He sucks, and will continue to do that.

Ice may suck as a HC, but that leaves us with what we have now anyway. If we're going to waste a year or 5 in The Arena, we mine as well waste them on experiments.

Not sure why he is here.

Only landed 1 of 3 kids from BTW this year.

Lost Scarlett and Williams.

However, it is really hard to sell Al Golden these days.

Advertisement
I think Ice has a bright future in college football but he's still green in the college ranks. Maybe he can be the next Gus Malzahn

Thats a reach, Malzahn is getting big time.... more like Hugh Freeze, needs a lil more seasoning and he will be really good

It's hilarious that people keep bring up Malzahn and Freeze. They worked their way up and were actually a HC. They didnt wake up one day and magically became a HC. Same with people constantly saying "they started from somewhere" referring to a high school coach being the head guy of Miami.
Funny how people wanna golden with a project, one problem with another. lol. Give me a true college HC, not an inexperience high school coach that some big time poster gave his approval.

Wasn't Malzhan and Freeze HC in HS just a few years ago...and neither one had a National Title at that level...they were given a chance..

I think Ice has a bright future in college football but he's still green in the college ranks. Maybe he can be the next Gus Malzahn

Thats a reach, Malzahn is getting big time.... more like Hugh Freeze, needs a lil more seasoning and he will be really good

It's hilarious that people keep bring up Malzahn and Freeze. They worked their way up and were actually a HC. They didnt wake up one day and magically became a HC. Same with people constantly saying "they started from somewhere" referring to a high school coach being the head guy of Miami.
Funny how people wanna golden with a project, one problem with another. lol. Give me a true college HC, not an inexperience high school coach that some big time poster gave his approval.

Wasn't Malzhan and Freeze HC in HS just a few years ago...and neither one had a National Title at that level...they were given a chance..

Score one for Shaqs pop. This is true. I think Art Briles came from the HS ranks too right?

Advertisement
Ice played DB in college so he could probably coach DBs. However, he has like 20+ years experience running offenses.

Eventually, he'll get opportunities to be an OC and some day, a CEO.

Score one for Shaqs pop. This is true. I think Art Briles came from the HS ranks too right?

No, score another inaccuracy for shaq's pops and piling on by idiots who didn't do the research, or haven't actually followed anything related to any of those coaches.

Freeze had a head coaching position (where he won 10 games and a conference championship) as well as several years as a college coach prior to his Ole Miss Job.

Malzahn of course was an SEC west champion Co-ordinator, co-ordinator and assistant head coach at tulsa, co-ordinator for auburn (national champion), head coach at arky state (conference champion) prior to his current gig.

You also quickly forgot art briles worked with mike leach at texas tech, then was the head coach at houston for years before getting the baylor job.

Ice harris is like 29-23 as support staff to a football team. He is hardly even playing the same sport as those other coaches, let alone the same ballpark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ice is still unqualified to be a head coach, and would still get more wins every year than Golden out of the talent on this roster.

Advertisement

No, score another inaccuracy for shaq's pops and piling on by idiots who didn't do the research, or haven't actually followed anything related to any of those coaches.

Freeze had a head coaching position (where he won 10 games and a conference championship) as well as several years as a college coach prior to his Ole Miss Job.

Malzahn of course was an SEC west champion Co-ordinator, co-ordinator and assistant head coach at tulsa, co-ordinator for auburn (national champion), head coach at arky state (conference champion) prior to his current gig.

You also quickly forgot art briles worked with mike leach at texas tech, then was the head coach at houston for years before getting the baylor job.

Ice harris is like 29-23 as support staff to a football team. He is hardly even playing the same sport as those other coaches, let alone the same ballpark.

Gus Malzahn jumped straight from High School to a formerly bad college offensive team and won team 10 games as its new Coordinator in the SEC!

They were. I don't know much about Freeze's career, but Maz was an instant impact when he started with Arkansas. The guy was know for his offensive acumen. Same kind of trajectory with Briles - offensive mastermind that translated well to the college level...instantly. I don't think Ice has a comparable skillset. Yes, he is a winner but I don't think he's done it with schemes.

WTF does this even mean? You can't attribute a head coach's W/L record to any one position coach. Coordinators are a different story, but unless your RBs score every single TD or every TD against you is a direct result of your RBs fumbling (as in returning fumble recoveries for TDs), you're talking nonsense. And you especially can't attribute to Ice any wins or losses that happened WHEN HE WASN'T PART OF THE COACHING STAFF. This was Ice's first year as a position coach...granted, the team went 6-7, but are you really gonna sit there and blame that record on the running backs? Also, support staff involved with recruiting have a tangential relationship to the team's on-field performance at the most. They aren't even authorized to offer players--that's something over which the head coach has sole discretion.

Like Golden, you're making an argument with ultimately meaningless statistics (his "total defense" is your "record as support staff"). And while I agree that Ice is nowhere near ready to be a D-1 head coach, he still knows Miami high school football like the back of his hand. It's not his fault that Golden went 6-7 this year, destroyed any semblance of progress made in the prior three seasons, and generally neglected the most fertile recruiting grounds in America.

WTF does this even mean? You can't attribute a head coach's W/L record to any one position coach. Coordinators are a different story, but unless your RBs score every single TD or every TD against you is a direct result of your RBs fumbling (as in returning fumble recoveries for TDs), you're talking nonsense. And you especially can't attribute to Ice any wins or losses that happened WHEN HE WASN'T PART OF THE COACHING STAFF. This was Ice's first year as a position coach...granted, the team went 6-7, but are you really gonna sit there and blame that record on the running backs? Also, support staff involved with recruiting have a tangential relationship to the team's on-field performance at the most. They aren't even authorized to offer players--that's something over which the head coach has sole discretion.

Like Golden, you're making an argument with ultimately meaningless statistics (his "total defense" is your "record as support staff"). And while I agree that Ice is nowhere near ready to be a D-1 head coach, he still knows Miami high school football like the back of his hand. It's not his fault that Golden went 6-7 this year, destroyed any semblance of progress made in the prior three seasons, and generally neglected the most fertile recruiting grounds in America.
No, you just can't see the point I am making. All of those coaches experienced success at the college level, as members of staff, coordinators and then head coaches at mid major schools prior to stepping up to the plate at a major conference as a head coach.

Ice has never done any meaningful coaching or decision making, and has never been a part of a successful program at the college level (regardless of what capacity). Just because he fits in with the black community in miami's lower socioeconomic area's does not mean he would win here.

Advertisement
Back