Coach Hayes Show

Creating a football only position is dumb imo. The BOT and admin are cheap as ****, why create another position that requires a ton of money when that could go to a better AD, assistants, or head coach? They need to quit trying to reinvent the wheel. Clean out the entire athletic department (secretaries and all) and go get a competent AD and let them do their thing. It's really that simple.
This right here is the answer. It’s simple and straightforward. These recommendations that the players make might sound great for now, but you’re creating an organizational nightmare in the long term. It’s dumb. Clean house and hire a real AD and everything else falls into place.

Advertisement
Why do all players want former players at these roles? That **** aint work at USC and *im not a fan of friends taking care of friends.* Did not listen to it so I dont know the context of it but I want a real AD with big ties to the SEC, same as a HC candidate. Thats just my opinion on it. Thats basically how I would hire. If u want to get back to winning, and if u have to fire people it wont be difficult cause its not friends firing friends or waiting to pull back the trigger because of friendships.
Preach.
This ain't a mom and pop shop, this is big business, fvck this buddy buddy sh*t. Hire people that have been learning under the best or been overperforming on the place they are now and get this thing right.
Doesn't Alabama/Ohio State/Clemson/UGA have assistant/understudy that has learned how they've been doing this and can be lured by the AD title?

While it's clear Diaz doesn't fit the bill (we all knew that) my takeaway is that the UM scene is a complex animal to understand and administrate. A reputable search firm selected Richt after an expensive and thorough look, but they didn't understand the UM scene, and missed the boat. The Diaz hire? Argggh!

A disciplinarian and football genius sounds good, but isn't fully spot on. The Miami scene involves guys that naturally say "gotch ya" NOT "yes sir" so a respected HC and staff has to accurately play the audience, not just bust balls. A great scheme that is too complicated for the crew to perform it, not well taught, and not even written down in full at times, is not enough on its own merits. Adjustments, Adjustments, Practice, Practice!

Besides thinking it might be a good way to make the NFL, many "potential stars" come here because they are attracted by the Miami lifestyle and perks. NIL has made that worse. In a Tuscaloosa with fewer distractions and different values, watching films, extra conditioning and practice, learning the play book, and supporting the team output more than 100% is far easier to manage. Coaches and maybe recruiters need to consider this more somehow. (Not easy.)

To the above point, Alabama dedicates much more staff (per player, with over 100 "assistants") to player management, development, and support. 3 to 1 versus maybe 8 to 1. They rigorously enforce the film watching, the serious training and attitude, be there for the personal problems every kid facing challenges encounters, and more. Whatever funds the BOT dedicates to UM football would be well-placed if they furthered this meritorious objective.

Would a Director of Football or other change in the current AD concept help here? Maybe.

Certainly allowing, even encouraging past proven players to be involved on the sidelines and otherwise is a great idea here, which ofc Manny goes the opposite direction on. Kids need to actively respect and admire someone to whom they seek approval and encouragement from, ask for tips, and otherwise serve as a mentor and comparatives. No wonder after an awful loss they post their one catch on social media... they are seeking approval and NIL rewards and fame and fortune and can get away with that crap NOW,HERE that many know is simply that: "crap".

Only when the AD or search committee understand all this ( a lot better than I do) and seek staffing remedies in accord, will we flourish in a town where there is much more to do than support a mediocre team.

While it's clear Diaz doesn't fit the bill (we all knew that) my takeaway is that the UM scene is a complex animal to understand and administrate. A reputable search firm selected Richt after an expensive and thorough look, but they didn't understand the UM scene, and missed the boat. The Diaz hire? Argggh!

A disciplinarian and football genius sounds good, but isn't fully spot on. The Miami scene involves guys that naturally say "gotch ya" NOT "yes sir" so a respected HC and staff has to accurately play the audience, not just bust balls. A great scheme that is too complicated for the crew to perform it, not well taught, and not even written down in full at times, is not enough on its own merits. Adjustments, Adjustments, Practice, Practice!

Besides thinking it might be a good way to make the NFL, many "potential stars" come here because they are attracted by the Miami lifestyle and perks. NIL has made that worse. In a Tuscaloosa with fewer distractions and different values, watching films, extra conditioning and practice, learning the play book, and supporting the team output more than 100% is far easier to manage. Coaches and maybe recruiters need to consider this more somehow. (Not easy.)

To the above point, Alabama dedicates much more staff (per player, with over 100 "assistants") to player management, development, and support. 3 to 1 versus maybe 8 to 1. They rigorously enforce the film watching, the serious training and attitude, be there for the personal problems every kid facing challenges encounters, and more. Whatever funds the BOT dedicates to UM football would be well-placed if they furthered this meritorious objective.

Would a Director of Football or other change in the current AD concept help here? Maybe.

Certainly allowing, even encouraging past proven players to be involved on the sidelines and otherwise is a great idea here, which ofc Manny goes the opposite direction on. Kids need to actively respect and admire someone to whom they seek approval and encouragement from, ask for tips, and otherwise serve as a mentor and comparatives. No wonder after an awful loss they post their one catch on social media... they are seeking approval and NIL rewards and fame and fortune and can get away with that crap NOW,HERE that many know is simply that: "crap".

Only when the AD or search committee understand all this ( a lot better than I do) and seek staffing remedies in accord, will we flourish in a town where there is much more to do than support a mediocre team.
Did you accidentally type Richt instead of Golden there or are you just mistaken about a search firm being involved? No firm was involved whatsoever with the Richt hire. It being our best post Butch hire also should tell you all you need to know about those firms too.

Preach.
This ain't a mom and pop shop, this is big business, fvck this buddy buddy sh*t. Hire people that have been learning under the best or been overperforming on the place they are now and get this thing right.
Doesn't Alabama/Ohio State/Clemson/UGA have assistant/understudy that has learned how they've been doing this and can be lured by the AD title?

Advertisement
But I'm saying when he first came to UM he wasn't like a UM guy. He became a UM guy on the job is what I'm saying. He got hired as an outsider when he was with JJ. That's my point. U can hire an outsider and win it's possible. We tried the "UM" guy in Manny that's what everyone said but now that he's failed he's a Nole. He was as UM as UM gets and we few knew it was an epic bad hire. Yall can rewind and check my posts I thought it was a worse hire than Golden. I wasn't trying to be right I was stating what I knew would become facts. I believed that it was bad just like I think Kiffin would be a disaster.
Why don’t you like Kiffin?

Did you accidentally type Richt instead of Golden there or are you just mistaken about a search firm being involved? No firm was involved whatsoever with the Richt hire. It being our best post Butch hire also should tell you all you need to know about those firms too.
I have read that several places several times including an analysis of the effort which was actually highly regarded (not counting results, lol) here is just one example:
1633744148789.png

These players almost talk like part of the delusional fan base. NFL GM and AD jobs are completely different animals. They sound like the bring Dorsey to HC or OC with Ray Lewis linebacker coach. Sorry to break it to u delusional fans that **** won't work. It would be a monumental disaster of epic proportion ruining our legacy of players because of fan negative feedback (I would be leading that charge of course)

Bring me SEC type experience at AD and HC....alpha's who do all and anything to win and give them the budget to make any move they please. Gut the hiring committee and hire goons....no more Vilma trying to hire Strong or Richt.....bring in guys that are good at those jobs and have work under successful SEC guys. It's that fuqin simple yet UM seems to be stuck in the mud along with numerous fan who drool like Diaz.
I’d estimate we are about 60m a year (and administrative desire) short at the moment. There are dreams and then there is reality.

I have read that several places several times including an analysis of the effort which was actually highly regarded (not counting results, lol) here is just one example:
View attachment 157375
I get where there might be confusion but Richt fell into our lap AFTER we wasted the money on the search firm. Any previous input they may or may not have had was completely irrelevant to that hire.

Advertisement
Why don’t you like Kiffin?
I seen him at Tenn Oakland USC...with similar talent as everyone else no thanks. I just feel he's a fraud I know he is.....his FAU teams were more talented than the rest of that conference at all times. They got the premiere transfers in that conference all the time. His offense looked amazing cause he was at Bama.

I get where there might be confusion but Richt fell into our lap AFTER we wasted the money on the search firm. Any previous input they may or may not have had was completely irrelevant to that hire.
OK Thanks for the info. Point (by me) still is that these searches for a UM HC might need some dimension not previously incorporated into the proceedings because they didn't or don't understand the complex UM "situation" - as was sorta fleshed out last night on the Hayes show. Ie; not simply a proven leader OR football genius or Knute Rockne but much more in a way.

(Edit... they gave a great example... gruff n tuff Joe Paterno in State College, PA (and his tie which Golden sadly tried to mimic) which is a Far different place AND CULTURE than UM or MIAMI.)

Last edited:
I seen him at Tenn Oakland USC...with similar talent as everyone else no thanks. I just feel he's a fraud I know he is.....his FAU teams were more talented than the rest of that conference at all times. They got the premiere transfers in that conference all the time
This is all I need to know coming from Dwins. I’m now decommitting from Lane Kiffin and 110% committed to Hugh Freeze.

I’ll still take my visits with Mario Cristobal and other candidates that’s showing me love.

Respect. My. Decision.

View attachment 157375
This highlights how bad this program is at assessment of its needs and search criteria, let alone assessing candidates against those needs and criteria.

Advertisement
This is all I need to know coming from Dwins. I’m now decommitting from Lane Kiffin and 110% committed to Hugh Freeze.

I’ll still take my visits with Mario Cristobal and other candidates that’s showing me love.

Respect. My. Decision.
Freeze has no friends here and our AD shouldn't have any friends either. They should be gangstas with no ties to the program to change the culture

I hired a search firm to find me a new wife. At the top of the list: hot, ****, proven virgin, nice, great motherhood qualities, great cook, likes to eat out, great entertainer, can handle her liquor, never drinks, fit, likes ice cream, knows her way around a garden hose, never watered a lawn.

For those saying the school isn’t committed to football, wouldn’t adding a sole leader of the football program such as a GM/Director be a step towards committing to football?

Last edited:
Advertisement
What's becoming clearer and clearer is that the current HC, AD, Prez, and maybe others in power saying stuff and acting like "all is well" (or close to it,) is just another example of how out of touch they are. It's not just a disgruntled fan base any more (with better things to do in South Florida than watch a mediocre team) or groups like C-I_S... it's former players and coaches, sports media, and others joining the chorus quite a bit now.

Love Zo and would be fine with him as AD if that's what he wants but a football "GM" is a terrible idea.
Why is it a terrible idea and why can't some of you wrap your head around a simple concept?

Indiana has an AD and then Thad Motta in charge of everything basketball.

Miami has Toretta as all sports AD and Highsmithin in charge of everything football.

What is so ******* hard to understand?

Last edited:
Why is it a terrible idea and why can't some of you wrap your head around a simple concept?

Indiana has an AD and then Thad Motta in charge of everything basketball.

Miami has Toretta as all sports AD and Highsmithin charge of everything football.

What is so ******* hard to understand?
Do they actually want these jobs or is it just talk here?

This right here is the answer. It’s simple and straightforward. These recommendations that the players make might sound great for now, but you’re creating an organizational nightmare in the long term. It’s dumb. Clean house and hire a real AD and everything else falls into place.
LOL. What's dumb is you think one guy in charge of 15-20 sports teams is a better idea than a football mind as Football AD solely focused on football?

PS: the dopes who cry "what football coach would want this arrangement"? 98% of football coaches in the world would crawl across broken glass with no pants on to take a P5 job and practically every single NFL coach works under this arrangement.

Advertisement
Back