Coach Hayes Show

Salt

"Assigned species at birth"
Was very interesting and entertaining last night. Alonzo, Bratton, and Lamar were on as guests. Alonzo had some interesting things to say about what he would like to see happen to get the program back on track and Mel weighed in as to who he would like to see as AD. He seems to favor a new AD and a "GM" type role just for football. Brought up a Toretta/Zo combination (his personal opinion). Zo never really confirmed or denied interest in the "GM" role. Lamar was just Lamar . Some funny banter back and forth.

Advertisement
Was very interesting and entertaining last night. Alonzo, Bratton, and Lamar were on as guests. Alonzo had some interesting things to say about what he would like to see happen to get the program back on track and Mel weighed in as to who he would like to see as AD. He seems to favor a new AD and a "GM" type role just for football. Brought up a Toretta/Zo combination (his personal opinion). Zo never really confirmed or denied interest in the "GM" role. Lamar was just Lamar . Some funny banter back and forth.

Makes sense that Highsmith is going to advocate for a structure he is familiar with/successful in.... NFL front office...

Will definitely take a listen. Did they give a sense that their ideas had any chance of coming to fruition or just wishful thinking?

Advertisement
The more i think about it, the more it makes sense. Miami is a private school. It should take advantage of that by organizing and structuring things as they see fit. Why NOT treat football at Miami like a pro team in terms of management in that regard? You dont have to worry about any restrictions that may come with being a State funded institution. General Manager (GM) over football operations. Responsible for handling the money, hiring and firing etc. and independent of the AD.

Love all these guys but it's a flawed concept. A real AD wouldn't need and absolutely wouldn't want a "Football GM".

I think Zo is in the mindset of an NFL team structure with a GM, President of Football Operations, etc. I don't think that translates at all to a whole college athletics department. The "Football GM" could exist as an Associate AD but there would still need to be the hierarchy where the actual AD is above him on the organizational flow chart. Otherwise who would the "Football GM" answer to? Random boosters? Frenk? Football alum?

Will definitely take a listen. Did they give a sense that their ideas had any chance of coming to fruition or just wishful thinking?
Great question, if not does it sound like the 33 page thread on the flight where no solutions are in sight?

Love all these guys but it's a flawed concept. A real AD wouldn't need and absolutely wouldn't want a "Football GM".

I think Zo is in the mindset of an NFL team structure with a GM, President of Football Operations, etc. I don't think that translates at all to a whole college athletics department. The "Football GM" could exist as an Associate AD but there would still need to be the hierarchy where the actual AD is above him on the organizational flow chart. Otherwise who would the "Football GM" answer to? Random boosters? Frenk? Football alum?
Needs to be some type of organized structure of clear accountability.

Advertisement
Needs to be some type of organized structure of clear accountability.
For sure and I'm allllll for as many bright football (and sports in general) minds being around this program. I just think you have to be careful to not try to solve today's problem (Manny & Blake) with something that could be a problem itself if you ever actually begin to right the ship here.

I mentioned a competent AD hire that might be adverse to a "Football GM" but I also think a competent head coach would be too. Ideally you'd actually want the head coach to be successful enough to essentially fulfill that role and kinda oversee/control the football program as almost an independent entity in the athletics program. I think we all hoped that's what would've happened with Richt.

Not sure. i think they were careful about that. What I did get the sense is that Zo has advocated for a structural change involving football specifically to the admin. and this probably came from his contact last season when they were flirting with the idea of bringing him in. I am sure the admin is aware of his vision for the program.

He wants to have a more professional structure similar to how an NFL front office is run, or even how Saban is currently running the program at Alabama. Saban pretty much runs the football dept. not the AD.

He feels UM is in a unique situation compared to other schools, we are in a very competitive sports/entertainment market competing for dollars so need a different approach. Also need someone that understands the culture at Miami and city. Not necessarily a home grown guy as that has not necessarily worked (e.g. Shannon, Diaz). Brought up JJ as a good example of an outsider that understood the culture and embraced it.

Who does Blake currently answer to?

Completely agree, a true AD would never go for that, nor should anyone expect him to.
I was watching the Wisconsin game last week and couldn't help but think how different things would have been had Alvarez been hired as a coach and then transitioned to AD here. They showed some crowd shots from Wisky before he got hired and talked about the state of their program...I had no clue it was that bad.

Advertisement
Completely agree, a true AD would never go for that, nor should anyone expect him to.
I was watching the Wisconsin game last week and couldn't help but think how different things would have been had Alvarez been hired as a coach and then transitioned to AD here. They showed some crowd shots from Wisky before he got hired and talked about the state of their program...I had no clue it was that bad.

Ok i get all of that but who says or why do we need to be like everyone else? What if having an AD and a separate GM over football works? What if other schools follow suit? Why not try it? If the values if the football program align more with a pro model then would a TRUE AD really know how to operate if they don't have that kind of experience?

Why do all players want former players at these roles? That **** aint work at USC and im not a fan of friends taking care of friends. Did not listen to it so I dont know the context of it but I want a real AD with big ties to the SEC, same as a HC candidate. Thats just my opinion on it. Thats basically how I would hire. If u want to get back to winning, and if u have to fire people it wont be difficult cause its not friends firing friends or waiting to pull back the trigger because of friendships.

Ok i get all of that but who says or why do we need to be like everyone else? What if having an AD and a separate GM over football works? What if other schools follow suit? Why not try it? If the values if the football program align more with a pro model then would a TRUE AD really know how to operate if they don't have that kind of experience?
I don't disagree with that. The key word is "true" AD, that's the real missing piece. A football "GM" would be great if Blake is retained, putting a true AD in place would eliminate the need for that. Another miss was Dan Radakovich(sp) he left Miami and went to GT then Clemson and we see what happened to that program.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Saw this last night…awesome show!!

Creating a football only position is dumb imo. The BOT and admin are cheap as ****, why create another position that requires a ton of money when that could go to a better AD, assistants, or head coach? They need to quit trying to reinvent the wheel. Clean out the entire athletic department (secretaries and all) and go get a competent AD and let them do their thing. It's really that simple.

So my guess is Zo or Toretta want to be GM of football under James? Only way that works is if they call all the shots on hiring and firing. Otherwise we have another mascot like Reed just to appease people.
If a Torretta/Zo combination come in James is out it would seem to me. He can still have some fund raising role though. Torretta would fill the AD role and Zo be heading up football. Maybe as an "asst. AD" for football. Lamar brought up the example of the Louisville Athletic dept. having an AD and various asst. ADs for each sport. So the model is not unique.

Zo said it all in his last answer before he had to leave the podcast.

The AD at the U has to demand excellence from every single individual in the athletic department from the second that he steps foot in that door on a daily basis.

He also added what many of us have said countless times, if your goal is to win the “Coastal” every year, that’s a huge problem right there. It’s a losers mentality. The goal has to be National Championship and nothing less. That’s why our legendary teams were so great. They demanded excellence and held each other accountable, while out working every other team in the nation.

Advertisement
Back