Coach Hayes (Good, Bad, Ugly)

They insist on pounding it up the middle when it's been made clear to everyone that we can't do that against any team not named Bethune.
While I know they won't stop trying to run , I think this past weekend showed that pounding it up the middle isn't happening..... Add the injuries to Clark and Justice....... Not so sure personally that Denis adds much to the OL either......

Advertisement
Makes me think that maybe steeles system worked at auburn cause he was there four years and maybe just in general had better players. I know the DL was better. And he sent a couple corners to the league

To be fair, all defenses tend to do better the more familiar you are with them. There are always going to be breakdowns, even the top teams have them. The point of an offense is to not only exploit weaknesses, but design plays to pressure the defense into making one.

It's no different anywhere, our TD"s or plays are due to design right call against the right coverage, and we've found a hole or forced a mistake. Football isn't played in a vaccum where we just call a play and it miraculously works.

Overall, the defense did very well against what has been a prolific offense to this point. Breakdowns happened and we suffered for it. They've got things to work on and they'll still make mistakes in the future.

As poor as the D played at times, they forced 2 turnovers and only gave up 27 points to one of the top offenses in the country. That should have been enough to win this game.
Especially after being down 14-0 pretty quickly and not looking very good doing it

Kind of sums up our season when one of our most reliable players the last year or so (Kam) picks this game to do some inexplicable things

Let’s stop with this UNC juggernaut offense. They played one okay team, Notre Dame. Look at the box score. ND was in complete control. Led 45-20 with 10 minutes left. UNC scored two meaningless td’s. And ND was on the road.

UNC came out fast and punched the Canes in the mouth leading the whole way. Converted 50% on 3rd downs and 67% on 4th downs. Terrible performance.

Advertisement
While I know they won't stop trying to run , I think this past weekend showed that pounding it up the middle isn't happening..... Add the injuries to Clark and Justice....... Not so sure personally that Denis adds much to the OL either......
Definitely not sure what Denis will bring but Olawusen being out is no doubt addition by subtraction

All good points here, I think the heart of the issue (besides the current schemes are not suitable to this roster) is that the juniors and seniors are not able to help teach and pass down scheme and techniques to the younger players. Every program with rare exception suffers the same during the first year of a coaching change. Nick did, Kirby did (almost lost to Nichols St at home), Jimmy did, etc. You must have a program where the older players are able to help the younger guys adapt and learn the system.

Here, Mario has none of that. Older players are barely understanding what is going on, and are in no position to provide help in that regard. You have so little time as a staff to implement new schemes and practice (per NCAA rules), you really need your leaders to augment the process. Here we have kids who were recruited by Manny, played under that ****amamie defense and barely have any idea what they are doing schematically. Watching our safeties and linebackers basically looks like rec league defense, with guys just wandering and meandering. They only know man and blitz techniques (barely) and are helpless in any zone coverage. Just a car crash to watch on tape.

On offense, TVD has Lashlee's system in his brain and this Gattis power spread stuff slow paced grind and pound is something he can't manage. Further, his lack of mobility and moments of inaccuracy are not helpful. Oline play simply blows, and it is a waste of effort to try and make 3 and 4 yr olineman who have been schooled on finese offense for 3-4 yrs to now be a BIG 10 power mauler-type line. Won't happen and can't happen.

This is a 2-3 yr rebuild until Mario has his structure and guys in place. The current upper classmen are good kids, but I doubt any play on Sundays.

Simple breakdown: Offense made some adjustments & showed signs of life. Defense tightened up in the second half vs. UNC, but early game breakdowns in the secondary are beyond inexcusable. What is that now, 5 or 6 either blow assignments or corners getting beat for long TDs? That's ridiculous & ultimately falls on the defensive coaches. By this point, need some tough love - if get beat or blow a coverage, then take a seat & next man up. If not, then lose any sense of accountability & coaches talking tough is pure BS.

Go back and look at all our great DBs, the light for most comes on in year 3. This group, the lights are not on. Kam and JW alone lost the game.

Advertisement
As poor as the D played at times, they forced 2 turnovers and only gave up 27 points to one of the top offenses in the country. That should have been enough to win this game.
And the 4 downs inside the 2 and no points, a fumble inside the 20, missed field goal, though it wasn’t a chip shot. All that changes the complexion of the game.

We make far too many self inflicted mistakes to win games. Knew we had some talent gaps but thought Mario may had fixed some of these glaring issues.

Definitely not sure what Denis will bring but Olawusen being out is no doubt addition by subtraction

All good points here, I think the heart of the issue (besides the current schemes are not suitable to this roster) is that the juniors and seniors are not able to help teach and pass down scheme and techniques to the younger players. Every program with rare exception suffers the same during the first year of a coaching change. Nick did, Kirby did (almost lost to Nichols St at home), Jimmy did, etc. You must have a program where the older players are able to help the younger guys adapt and learn the system.

Here, Mario has none of that. Older players are barely understanding what is going on, and are in no position to provide help in that regard. You have so little time as a staff to implement new schemes and practice (per NCAA rules), you really need your leaders to augment the process. Here we have kids who were recruited by Manny, played under that ****amamie defense and barely have any idea what they are doing schematically. Watching our safeties and linebackers basically looks like rec league defense, with guys just wandering and meandering. They only know man and blitz techniques (barely) and are helpless in any zone coverage. Just a car crash to watch on tape.

On offense, TVD has Lashlee's system in his brain and this Gattis power spread stuff slow paced grind and pound is something he can't manage. Further, his lack of mobility and moments of inaccuracy are not helpful. Oline play simply blows, and it is a waste of effort to try and make 3 and 4 yr olineman who have been schooled on finese offense for 3-4 yrs to now be a BIG 10 power mauler-type line. Won't happen and can't happen.

This is a 2-3 yr rebuild until Mario has his structure and guys in place. The current upper classmen are good kids, but I doubt any play on Sundays.
Really good points! Kudos on a strong first post!

Advertisement
Especially after being down 14-0 pretty quickly and not looking very good doing it

Kind of sums up our season when one of our most reliable players the last year or so (Kam) picks this game to do some inexplicable things
MTSU game too. He's been responsible for 4 LONG pass plays resulting in TDs in the last two games.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Love Coach Hayes.Great breakdown!!!

I have to agree with him on staying positive and backing our players. We're all frustrated. I know I am and was very displeased during the game.

We need our guys to continue to improve. Let's keep the big picture in mind including myself. Support the team and continue to show up on Saturdays.

James Williams meager attempt at a tackle 3yds in the backfield on the 1st series was the precursor to the horrible safety play.
absolutely, we should have been off the field> long TD doesn't happen:
Also, as bad as we are take the points, I don't care if we are at the half foot line, I don't trust these guys to not f it up:
Going for it a mid-field to me big mistake, you can't shorten the field against NC, Time out at start of 4th quarter another killer.
Always get the points, take the F.G., every game it comes back to bite us in the butt.
Why isn't Keyshawn Smith out there more,
The disappointment this, season our studs are letting us down, Stevenson burned every game, Van Dyke hot and cold, Mallory key drops and missed blocks, Jaylon fumbles dropped passes, Williams missed tackles, Kinchen blown assignments. Which everyone had Parrish, and Harvey's motor

Facts. The trend of SoFla athletes having low football IQ is getting tougher to ignore.
Yall kill me with this bruh lmao there’s players all over the country making low iq bad plays but south Florida kids who are more successful than anywhere else gets a low iq label lmfaoo

Advertisement
Back