Coach Fisch on Duke Johnson:

He added of Johnson that "He has to touch the football … we're counting on Duke to make an impact immediately. He is a playmaker. There's no question about it. You can't do what he did in high school and not think that most of it or some of it can correlate to college football. It's not going to look like that every game when you play Florida State, Virginia Tech, Kansas State and Boston College and whatnot. I don't expect him to average 276 yards a game. But I do expect him to be someone that's a playmaker. We do have to game plan and scheme for him to get some touches.

From another Canes site,not sure if posting the link/entire article is cool here.:neonu:

Advertisement
Have to temper enthusiasm. He'll be a true freshman. And he's undersized right now.

I'm not worried about him being undersized. As long as we don't overexert him, he should be fine.

DeAnthony Thomas was like 145lbs and he did fine. Duke can too.

Kid is going to be dynamic for us, and we need his burst and speed with the departure of L. Miller.

I guess some of you guys where right in the fact that they would have a game plan/scheme to get the ball. Lol at people saying that's not how it works.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The kid is 5'9 and currently is a solid 185lbs, he is not undersized. He's never going to be the work horse. You use him much like USC did with Reggie Bush. In the slot, out of the back field, let him touch the ball 10-15 times, find the mismatches.

The kid is 5'9 and currently is a solid 185lbs, he is not undersized. He's never going to be the work horse. You use him much like USC did with Reggie Bush. In the slot, out of the back field, let him touch the ball 10-15 times, find the mismatches.

This...he's as big as LaMichael James was until last year

Just like the guy above me, this. What is this obsession people have with weight? Don't get me wrong weight is important, but remember when you start bputting on weight a little not much of that speed/athleticism/flexibility MAY go away. Not much, but possibly a little bit.

Advertisement
If used correctly Duke Johnson could be the most dynamic back in cfb. Apure football player with elite speed and hands. can catch passes out of the back field, return punts and kicks and could prolly play defense. I'd like to see Miami use it's best players on both sides of the ball if said player is dynamic enough like gamble, baily or woodson.

Advertisement
If used correctly Duke Johnson could be the most dynamic back in cfb. Apure football player with elite speed and hands. can catch passes out of the back field, return punts and kicks and could prolly play defense. I'd like to see Miami use it's best players on both sides of the ball if said player is dynamic enough like gamble, baily or woodson.

Sounds like you're already setting the table for a criticism of the current staff. First game where the true freshman phenom doesn't get enough touches, you're going to trash Golden, right?

He's going to have the ball a lot from go. He is our best offensive player, the day he steps on the field.

Advertisement
It's unfair to compare him to backs in Oregon's wide-open spread offense.

I think we are setting some very unrealistic expectations of a true freshman RB that has yet to spend a minute in our weight training program/regimen. His body composition can and needs to improve.

I hope he is everything as advertised, but let's not pin next season on Duke's performance.

Sounds like you're already setting the table for a criticism of the current staff. First game where the true freshman phenom doesn't get enough touches, you're going to trash Golden, right?

yep

Advertisement
Back