Coach dugans on the new receiver additions

brock

All-American
Miami Hurricanes excited about speed, depth upgrade at wide receiver | Canes Watch

"Dugans said he has no worries about Thomas’ academics, an issue that hampered his recruitment (and was even mentioned by ESPNU’s broadcast team during Thomas’ televised commitment ceremony"

Big thing to take from this is that dugans state he has no worries over jeff Thomas's academics which is great for us. I mean we knew it already but feels great to get another confirmation

Advertisement
This theory that Dallas is playing WR this spring because of numbers is bogus. It's where they think he can help us the most.

I like what he said about Mullins too. It's a breath of fresh air to have a professional staff in place.

Dugans on Mullins (5-10, 190), who played sparingly last year and recorded zero catches:

“The kid hadn’t played football in two years” because of academic issues in high school,” he said. “We knew it was going to be an uphill battle to get him on the field. We wanted him on the field. I saw him with his shirt off the other day and I said, ‘Oh, wow. Hope he’s not getting too big.’

“Now you want to see him go through the offseason mat drills he hasn’t gone through. He’s still learning how to be a pro. Got to keep teaching him that. Teaching him the ‘how to play the next play’ mentality. He’s coming along the way I thought he would.”

The thing about Mullins that really stands out to me is just how much he always looks like he's having a blast here. I mean, it's obvious that he LOVES being here at Miami.

Those are the kids that will work their asses off. I think he has a bright future.

Advertisement
I'm pulling for Mullins also.

But read what coach Dugans had to say closely. You don't even really have to read between the lines, he's almost saying it outright.

He's definitely talking about him still having maturity issues. When you put together his academic issues, the fact Dugans said DM needs to be a "pro" and the fact that he needs to "play the next play" means that he has trouble with focus and basic discipline on the field.

He's 21 years old.

I'm far from a negative Nancy, but I have to say if these are still issues in his second year, for a 21-year-old, if he doesn't straighten up, he may never see the field as a regular wide receiver.

But read what coach Dugans had to say closely. You don't even really have to read between the lines, he's almost saying it outright.

He's definitely talking about him still having maturity issues. When you put together his academic issues, the fact Dugans said DM needs to be a "pro" and the fact that he needs to "play the next play" means that he has trouble with focus and basic discipline on the field.

He's 21 years old.

I'm far from a negative Nancy, but I have to say if these are still issues in his second year, for a 21-year-old, if he doesn't straighten up, he may never see the field as a regular wide receiver.

Not everyone starts... you need quality backups as well

If the kid can't do everything to start I just hope he pushes his teammates both in offense and defense to be better

He's 21 years old.

Chill.... he said Stacy coley need to learn to be a pro last year too...

Advertisement
I don't see how Thomas doesn't start from Day 1. I think Berrios will be #3 .

If Mullins is only #4 on the depth chart - that means he beat out Cager/Harris/Harley/Dallas, which is a positive sign for him and his future.

What I take he was emphasizing was that we now have multiple guys that can take the roof off. He said there where too many possession receivers. We now have Richards, Dallas, Thomas, Harley, Mullins and yes Njoku. He may not be as fast as the others but the big kid can get up field, similar to Blacknall of Penn State IMO.

He's 21 years old.

**** you got all that from Dugans? Try just reading each line it will be a little less confusing.

What I take he was emphasizing was that we now have multiple guys that can take the roof off. He said there where too many possession receivers. We now have Richards, Dallas, Thomas, Harley, Mullins and yes Njoku. He may not be as fast as the others but the big kid can get up field, similar to Blacknall of Penn State IMO.

Njoku is plenty fast..He was teams KO and Punt return man...Look up on Hudl and see some speed for a big guy...Brother said he was faster...

Advertisement
I was hyped for Mullins coming here and i hope he makes the next step cause some dogs are coming.

He's 21 years old.

**** you got all that from Dugans? Try just reading each line it will be a little less confusing.

+1. Dugans doesn't strike me as the faqqy Golden type who loves to use cryptic talk.

His criticism of him seems pretty cut and dried:

Two years without football
First spring with the team
Needs to continue to develop mentally

Don't see anything alluding to more serious issues from those straightforward comments.

Miami Hurricanes excited about speed, depth upgrade at wide receiver | Canes Watch

"Dugans said he has no worries about Thomas’ academics, an issue that hampered his recruitment (and was even mentioned by ESPNU’s broadcast team during Thomas’ televised commitment ceremony"

Big thing to take from this is that dugans state he has no worries over jeff Thomas's academics which is great for us. I mean we knew it already but feels great to get another confirmation

Another thing they said right after mentioning his academic and off field issues and getting kicked off the UA team is he had to earn his way back on after proving he was serious about getting to business. The plays he made were great but that was what sold me. Kid wants it. He's ready.

Advertisement
I'm with OCC on the Mullins alert. I love this kid's talent. He would have been a high 4-star just like Richards if he hadn't sat out his final year in HS. If he can turn it on, he's the logical #2 after Richards.

But Dugans was being straight that Mullins needs to mature. Brock, was Dugans wrong about Stacy? Coley should be a 1st or 2nd rounder but has had some maturity problems that have held him back. And Coley was a true freshman AA, so Mullins is a little behind.

He's 21 years old.

Chill.... he said Stacy coley need to learn to be a pro last year too...

This. I agree with OCCC that there probably are still maturity issues, but I wouldn't read into it too much considering he got in so late last fall. He didn't really have the same opportunities as even the guys who got in late summer, as well as the whole issue of having not played for two years. I'm not sure how much he'll contribute this year, but the kid has huge potential.

lol why do people always say they are pulling for this guy or that guy? How about we pull for all the WR's so it makes the team better

Advertisement
Back