Coach Diaz & more... Post Practice Presser 8/25/17

MJ starting is great news in my eyes. That means players are hungry, fighting, and competing **** near every rep for PT.

The more Jacksons, Mike Smith, Darrell Langhams, Robert Knowles, Hayden Mahoneys on this team that can give good depth the better off we're going to be this year.

Advertisement
So we can chalk up J. Dean as a bust?! Dude is behind everybody.
A bust before he's even played a single snap in regular season game, that sounds reasonable.

Man I tell ya, Canes fans never waste time lol smh

I like Diaz talking about how ideally he wants to have SAM's that are flexible enough to leave on the field vs 3 WR sets.

He's got big brass ones.

Kills me that Jamien Sherwood is being stubborn about playing safety in college. He would be the PERFECT Sam in this defense

I think Dean will have a big year next season. JUCOs are tough. He's obviously got the speed and he's put on some size but he still looks like he's just scratching the surface physically.

I think we see him come on strong later in the year and bust out next season.

Advertisement
Michael Jackson is the starter on the outside with Dee Delaney. Coach Diaz said hes had a better camp then Malek Young. Can't wait to see his progress on the field.

Did not see that one coming; expected it to be Young or Dean

Got to be able to tackle and lock down those short passes (like Corn last year), Jackson probably did better at that during camp.

Yep. Diaz puts a big premium on CBs who can tackle well and support run defense. MJ could have very easily excelled in these areas.

So we can chalk up J. Dean as a bust?! Dude is behind everybody.
200w (19).gif

MJ starting is a good sign for the secondary. There is a very real chance that this defense leads us to 11 wins.

Advertisement
Me thinks the old man gave #87 a talking to and he listened very intently. Huge opportunity here for him. Back-up Herndon for a year and the be the man at TE U. That 1st round $$ smells awfully good. He still has some work to do physically, but all the other tools are there.

Go Canes!

While there may be some athleticism drop-off from Njoku>Herndon>Irvin; the skillset gets better.

Advertisement
Nobody talks about tackling and coming up for run support when needed, but that goes into consideration when talking about CB's, and you can bet that's part of the reason those guys are our starters for now.

Sounds like Jon Ford is going to play a lot this year. Coaches seem very excited about him.

Advertisement
I mentioned in another thread that Diaz has said in the past that he likes CB's who can tackle. From the reports, that seems to be an area where Dean has struggled. That certainly does not mean he is a bust. He could could end up being a DVD type corner for us. Fast and good in coverage.

I love his answer about the DE rotation. They are all gonna play. Deep, deep rotation

Our scout team D-line will downright murder people late in games. God, I wouldn't want to face those guys in the 4th quarter. Especially in known passing situations.

Advertisement
Back