Coach Dameon Jones Discusses State Championship Run, Franklin Commitment, And More

View as article

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
Ever since coach Dameon Jones took over as the head coach as Chaminade-Madonna Prep, the Lions have become one of the top high school football programs in South Florida. Last December, rhe Lions won their 3rd straight state championship. What has allowed for so much continued success?

“Just the consistency, having good people around me and the program, and having the support of the community.”

One of the changes Coach Jones has made at Chaminade is raising the level of competition by scheduling big regular season matchups.

“At the end of the day, you want to play those types of games to get better, but also you love competition. Playing little cupcake schools and being undefeated at the end of the regular season, that doesn't get you better. At the end of the day, I’m happy with competition and I love playing big games.”

These high-profile games for Chaminade are not going away anytime soon. Next fall, the Lions will face off against Miami Central, Carol City, and Miami Northwestern.

One of the biggest reasons Chaminade cruised to a 3rd straight state championship was their highly ranked running back, Thad Franklin, who recommitted to Miami on Tuesday night.

“They are getting a tremendous athlete, an all-around athlete, an athlete that can do multiple things. When it comes to running style, he is a powerful runner. He has good vision. He played quarterback coming up through little league so he could do a lot.”

Coach Jones also gave some insight into what kind of player Franklin is at practice and in the locker room.

“He practices very hard. He’s a great teammate. Thad is one of the ones that everybody kind of flocks to. He does not say much. He is a real soft spoken and humble kid.”

Franklin joins Keontra Smith, Te’Cory Couch, Cam Williams, and Andre Borregales as players in the recent Chaminade to Miami pipeline. The biggest reason Miami has had such success recruiting at Chaminade recently is the relationship Miami’s staff has with Chaminade’s staff.

“I’ve known Manny Diaz for like 15 years now, way back to his days of being at Middle Tennessee, so me and Manny have a great relationship. We have a good relationship with coach (Mike) Rumph and (Eric) Hickson. Those guys I've known for a long time. They know they can tell me anything and I can tell them anything. That relationship and honesty is there.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Ever since coach Dameon Jones took over as the head coach as Chaminade-Madonna Prep, the Lions have become one of the top high school football programs in South Florida. Last December, rhe Lions won their 3rd straight state championship. What has allowed for so much continued success?

“Just the consistency, having good people around me and the program, and having the support of the community.”

One of the changes Coach Jones has made at Chaminade is raising the level of competition by scheduling big regular season matchups.

“At the end of the day, you want to play those types of games to get better, but also you love competition. Playing little cupcake schools and being undefeated at the end of the regular season, that doesn't get you better. At the end of the day, I’m happy with competition and I love playing big games.”

These high-profile games for Chaminade are not going away anytime soon. Next fall, the Lions will face off against Miami Central, Carol City, and Miami Northwestern.

One of the biggest reasons Chaminade cruised to a 3rd straight state championship was their highly ranked running back, Thad Franklin, who recommitted to Miami on Tuesday night.

“They are getting a tremendous athlete, an all-around athlete, an athlete that can do multiple things. When it comes to running style, he is a powerful runner. He has good vision. He played quarterback coming up through little league so he could do a lot.”

Coach Jones also gave some insight into what kind of player Franklin is at practice and in the locker room.

“He practices very hard. He’s a great teammate. Thad is one of the ones that everybody kind of flocks to. He does not say much. He is a real soft spoken and humble kid.”

Franklin joins Keontra Smith, Te’Cory Couch, Cam Williams, and Andre Borregales as players in the recent Chaminade to Miami pipeline. The biggest reason Miami has had such success recruiting at Chaminade recently is the relationship Miami’s staff has with Chaminade’s staff.

“I’ve known Manny Diaz for like 15 years now, way back to his days of being at Middle Tennessee, so me and Manny have a great relationship. We have a good relationship with coach (Mike) Rumph and (Eric) Hickson. Those guys I've known for a long time. They know they can tell me anything and I can tell them anything. That relationship and honesty is there.”
Look at the the new coaches that have been hired starting with COS Ed Reed, Coach Lockette and Coach Hypolite -in addition to the new offensive staff members that have Canes excited. Former head coaches, both college and high school, that are also known for building good relationships.

We seem to already notice the more positve vibes generated throughout the program. Looking forward to things continuing on this upward direction for TNM.

Advertisement
I would seriously consider hiring Dame Jones on staff next season as an analyst...

He's the BEST recruiter in Broward & he would be an absolute weapon for us in this program.

He's not even the best recruiter on his coaching staff lol. A few guys before he got there started building that up and they are still on staff.

Advertisement
It was just a few years ago that Chaminade was considering dropping their football program. Private schools need to generate their own athletic budgets and Chaminade Madonna doesn't have the enrollment of a STA or American Heritage. I'm glad they didn't because they've become one of the state's top programs and a nice little pipeline for Miami. I keep telling myself to get out to one of their games one day since they've always got a ton of talent and I live like 5 minutes away.

Advertisement
Chaminade is a school of morals and ethics unlike the other catholic schools in Broward county.
Williams barely qualified and Moise probably wont. I find that really troubling and a huge disservice to the youngmen. Now they also have Lewis, that comes with a troubled past. Idk how good their morals and ethics are but their standards are suspect.

I wonder if we get more kids if he stays at Chaminade as opposed to him coming to us.

But that does leave open the possibility of another school poaching him I guess.

Williams barely qualified and Moise probably wont. I find that really troubling and a huge disservice to the youngmen. Now they also have Lewis, that comes with a troubled past. Idk how good their morals and ethics are but their standards are suspect.

I can't speak to the resources at Chaminade Madonna but where I live, these private, parochial schools are not known to be strong providers of services for kids who need anything extra. That includes reading resources, writing, etc. Those types of students do much better in public school unless the family can pay for tutors, etc. It's even more challenging if no one monitors the student, etc This could be part of the problem with Williams, and now Moise. Not all parents can help their kids.

I can't speak to the resources at Chaminade Madonna but where I live, these private, parochial schools are not known to be strong providers of services for kids who need anything extra. That includes reading resources, writing, etc. Those types of students do much better in public school unless the family can pay for tutors, etc. It's even more challenging if no one monitors the student, etc This could be part of the problem with Williams, and now Moise. Not all parents can help their kids.
I know nothing about this type of stuff but I was under the impression that private schools provided a huge umbrella that provided every bit of help there students need. You would think these kids would have tutors and every instrument at their finger tips.

Advertisement
Back