Coach D @ Norland

CaneCounty

Senior
D'Onofrio visits Norland, talks with LB Keith Brown

UM coaches have been on the recruiting prowl throughout Dade and Broward County since the end of the season.

Tonight I bumped into defensive coordinator Mark D'Onofrio during his visit to Miami Norland. D'Onofrio spoke with the father of offensive tackle Ereck Flowers for a while as I met and spoke with various Norland players as they prepare for their big playoff game against Glades Central Friday.

But once practice ended it was clear what D'Onofrio was there for -- a conversation with All-American linebacker and former commitment Keith Brown. The two spoke for roughly 20 minutes before D'Onofrio left. His message to Brown: "They still want me," Brown said.

The issue? UM doesn't have room in this class for Brown and his brother, Norland starting weakside linebacker Lamar Atkins. That's the reason Brown decommitted from UM and accepted a scholarship to Illinois. But now that Ron Zook is out Brown said he's looking again and considering UM along with Ohio State (he'll probably visit there after this coming weekend) and LSU.

"Everything was perfect with Illinois," Brown said. "But now that this happened with Coach Zook, everything is up in the air. Coach D just wanted me to know they still want me and are willing to take me. We're sort of starting all over."

Brown, who plans to enroll in January, said he remains committed to Illinois, but if another school is willing to take his brother on a scholarship (Ohio, Bowling Green and FIU have shown interest) then he said he will free himself up to go wherever he wants.

"If he gets a scholarship at the end of the year, then my job is done," Brown said. "He's a good player. The thing is he's only been here for a year. He was playing up in New Jersey, nobody really saw him up there. Miami can't take him because they've got 27 commitments and 30 scholarships total. So, they're limited."

Brown said the Canes have always been "the No. 1 team in my heart," but adds that he felt UM coaches sort of took him for granted. Brown claims he didn't hear from any coaches for two months at the start of the season. That, coupled with the fact he's trying to land his brother a scholarship made him open up to other schools who kept showing interest.

"I don't care where he goes, I just want to him to get a scholarship," Brown said of his brother. "Coach D just wanted me to know I had things with them all wrong and that they still want me to come in and be a part of this class."

Brown said if he had to handicap the situation he said he'll still probably end up at Illinois with his brother. But he's still going to weigh his options and see if his brother can land a scholarship elsewhere.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umia...-talks-with-lb-keith-brown.html#ixzz1fFAXObYe

Advertisement
I actually can appreciate what Brown is trying to do. It's obvious he wants to be at Miami, but he's putting his personal feelings aside for family.

Can't fault Brown at all for what he's trying to do for his brother

But we only have 30 spots available, interesting with all the big name players coming in during the upcoming weeks

Last edited:
It sounds like he's willing to play at sub-BCS level to get his brother a scholly. If I was Kevin Sumlin or June Jones or Chris Petersen I'd have offered him and his brother already.

Advertisement
It sounds like he's willing to play at sub-BCS level to get his brother a scholly. If I was Kevin Sumlin or June Jones or Chris Petersen I'd have offered him and his brother already.

Definetly. What a get that would be for Boise.

Bakas regularly also whacks himself in the head with a frying pan. I would take whatever he says with a tub of salt

I was ok with Brown up until this:

"Brown said the Canes have always been "the No. 1 team in my heart," but adds that he felt UM coaches sort of took him for granted. Brown claims he didn't hear from any coaches for two months at the start of the season."

That's a diva-esque type of comment. You didn't hear Duke or Flowers whining like a female like that. We don't need any more Diva's and JaGaga clones to pollute this program.

"***** we got games to play"

we dont have anymore games to play. they visit. stop *****in.

Advertisement
Every scholarship cant be wasted, especially if we get hit with scholarship reductions.

I wonder how other players feel about his brother on the Illi team? I would be ****ed.

"Brown said the Canes have always been "the No. 1 team in my heart," but adds that he felt UM coaches sort of took him for granted. Brown claims he didn't hear from any coaches for two months at the start of the season."

That's a diva-esque type of comment. You didn't hear Duke or Flowers whining like a female like that. We don't need any more Diva's and JaGaga clones to pollute this program.

Did he not hear what was happening here in the first two months of our season ?

Would someone please ask Mario to offer his brother over at FIU? It's not that they want to play together...they just want a free education for the brother. Get him a ride to FIU, both stay in Miami. Case closed.

Would someone please ask Mario to offer his brother over at FIU? It's not that they want to play together...they just want a free education for the brother. Get him a ride to FIU, both stay in Miami. Case closed.
Prays that this can happen, and all parties go home happy.

Advertisement
looks like his bro has the interest or offer from fiu, bowling green,and ohio...but guess he wants the bigger name schools...

kid should just head to fiu and be a 3 year starter.

Eh, I wouldnt read too much into that single comment. The kid's prolly trying to harden his heart towards UM a little in order to make the move to Illinois.

Why is it all on Brown? If I were his brother I would feel like **** if I was costing my brother the chance to play at his dream school bc my parents were laying the guilt trip on him. There are plenty of options for going to school. **** being a minority alone is a ******* scholarship, a minority with minimal income is a full ride. Pell grants would take care of everything. Dude needs to be a man a live his life. I'm all about family, but it's a two way street. His mother should tell him to do what makes him happy.

Advertisement
Why is it all on Brown? If I were his brother I would feel like **** if I was costing my brother the chance to play at his dream school bc my parents were laying the guilt trip on him. There are plenty of options for going to school. **** being a minority alone is a ******* scholarship, a minority with minimal income is a full ride. Pell grants would take care of everything. Dude needs to be a man a live his life. I'm all about family, but it's a two way street. His mother should tell him to do what makes him happy.
Was thinking the same thing.

Hate seeing the used car salesman Urban Meyer getting in here, could see him take both and then cut his brother a year later.

In the end I see Brown ending up at UM, but could also see a school like USF taking both.

Advertisement
Back