Clock Managment

canetomm

Recruit
Why are we in such a hurry with 4 minutes to go. I used to hate it when Folden would shut it down and try to run clock off the clock. BUT THAT WAS BECAUSE HE WOULD DO IT WITH 4 MINUTES LEFT IN THE 3RD QUARTER!!!. We should have slowed it down. We left them with 2:48. There should have been :48 seconds left. I know, nitpick, nitpick, but crap, that is when we should be slowing it down. Anyways, venting over. 6-0 and Onto NC. Go Canes

Advertisement
At that point, you do what you think is going to work. The clock will take care of itself. We were up 1 point. If you can score, you score when it is available. Getting cute gives them a shot to win it with a FG.

I assume it's because Malik and the offense are so much better when they are in a 2 minute offense type of rhythm.

Rather play to win than not to lose. Rosier plays in better rhythm with the hurry up.

I was screaming in the stands. Why was he snapping the ball with 25 seconds left on the play clock. Richt has to tell him to slow that **** down. It was frustrating as **** to watch.

Advertisement
I was screaming in the stands. Why was he snapping the ball with 25 seconds left on the play clock. Richt has to tell him to slow that **** down. It was frustrating as **** to watch.

I get it. And ultimately you're right, but this team isn't built the way we want it to be - yet...but despite what should be done, the team plays better when it's in a bit of a hurry. And the reality is, we're better off when they're playing well at what they're good at rather than trying to do something they struggle with.

Agree agree agree agree the clock management was worse than high school coaching. We should have run at least another 2 minutes off the clock. Take the rhythm theory to fantasy land. That was simply BAD COACHING

I was totally in agreement with playing fast in that situation. Our O was fresher than their D. We went 85 yards and scored the game winning TD on that drive.

Richt played to win, not not-to-lose

Advertisement
Everyone in our box was going nuts over snapping the **** ball with 25 sec when there was 3 min or so and Syracuse was running through our huffing and puffing defense. Made no sense mane. Most of that last drive where they got inside the red zone to possibly tie with a 2 pt conversion, wouldn't have happened.

Are we seriously complaining that we didn't run the world famous Al Golden prevent offense? ***** that score and worry about the clock later.

Are we seriously complaining that we didn't run the world famous Al Golden prevent offense? ***** that score and worry about the clock later.

No you bleed the clock and then score. Defense needed more rest and offense was having their way running. Should've been about 48 sec for their last drive.

Advertisement
Golden would’ve try to run the clock but go 3 and out. Richt said **** it just score. Savage

No you bleed the clock and then score. Defense needed more rest and offense was having their way running. Should've been about 48 sec for their last drive.

This only makes sense if you can score at will. What about this game made you think that?

Advertisement
We scored so easily precisely because we didn't slow it down. Syracuse's defense wanted nothing more than to get off that field, and we wouldn't let them sub.

I have plenty of reservations about Richt's offensive design/playcalling, however, I have ZERO issues with the way we handled that last drive.

We didn't have a two score lead here guys. We were up 1 g**** point.

I swear we have a bunch of clock bleeding pussies for fans. Foot on the throat.

This only makes sense if you can score at will. What about this game made you think that?
Well we did score and even if not, we got in field goal range while still snapping the ball immediately. At that point, bleed the clock and try to score, if not, a fg would've still made them have to score a TD with a lot less time. I'm happy we won, I just disagree with that specific situation.

I was totally in agreement with playing fast in that situation. Our O was fresher than their D. We went 85 yards and scored the game winning TD on that drive.

Richt played to win, not not-to-lose

Exactly. I was initially pretty worried with leaving that much time on the play clock but the O was in rhythm. Take the faster tempo and TD over trying to milk the clock.

Advertisement
Back