Clint Hurtt: Promoted to DC for the Seattle Seahawks

Advertisement
Really wanted that dude nowhere near the program.
Definitely not good enough to be the Miami hurricanes DC. Hasn’t called plays and he doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Still has a lot of growing to do as a coach so settling for a job in the NFL as DC for Seattle is about the best he could’ve done. That’s a step down from Miami

Congrats to both him and Dorsey, but to those saying “good enough for the NFL but not UM”, keep in mind they’re pretty much staying where they are to keep the previous system in place.

Both seem deserving, but regardless of UM not being a professional team, it’s still a lot different to maintain a system in place versus bringing a philosophy and installing it in a different organization.

There’s also the layer of recruiting. It’s entirely possible that they were qualified for the promotions they got, but did not fit the criteria to be a coordinator at UM.
Keep your rational thoughts to yourself. There’s no place for that on this board.

Congrats to both him and Dorsey, but to those saying “good enough for the NFL but not UM”, keep in mind they’re pretty much staying where they are to keep the previous system in place.

Both seem deserving, but regardless of UM not being a professional team, it’s still a lot different to maintain a system in place versus bringing a philosophy and installing it in a different organization.

There’s also the layer of recruiting. It’s entirely possible that they were qualified for the promotions they got, but did not fit the criteria to be a coordinator at UM.
Smart! You’re totally right. All those pro coaches on bamas staff don’t know how to recruit. Having played at the school, selling the pros and being coached by pro coaches (that can prep you for that game) is meaningless to these high level recruits!

To hard of a sell! Thank God Dorsey and Hurtt didn’t come to Miami and ruin the program with all that “pro experience”!

Advertisement
Because being an NFL coordinator guarantees success at the collegiate level. People think the NFL is some super factory for the development of offenses when in fact college is usually were trends begin and eventually migrate to the NFL if they are successful. Spread offenses, pass happy play-calling, running QB’s. The current meta in the NFL has been going on in college for many years before it showed up on Sundays.

Advertisement
Because being an NFL coordinator guarantees success at the collegiate level. People think the NFL is some super factory for the development of offenses when in fact college is usually were trends begin and eventually migrate to the NFL if they are successful. Spread offenses, pass happy play-calling, running QB’s. The current meta in the NFL has been going on in college for many years before it showed up on Sundays.
LMAO

I just have to be really honest here: Some of you have no ******* clue about football.

1. Just because someone is hired as a NFL OC or DC does not mean he would do well as a NCAA OC or DC and vice versa. It blows my mind that I even have to say this. There are so many example of this out there...

2. Hurtt was an average to below average assistant in the NFL. The list time he applied to a DC job, he was passed over for Notron Jr., who completely sucked at his job. Carroll is not hiring an elite DC here, he is hiring his guy to save his butt from very likely running Russell Wilson out of town, the best QB Seattle has ever had and probably will have for the next 10-15 years. Seattle fans are going nuts about this hire because everyone knows what Carroll did (again). Instead of trying to change his ideas, he (again) hired someone being supportive of his ideas and his ideas only. Hurtts position group hasnt produced a Pro Bowl or All-Pro player since Michael Bennett in 2017 and that guy was a different cat.

3. Just because someone is being hired as an OC or DC in the NFL does not mean that he is good, let me be absolutely clear about that. The Panthers hired Ben McAdoo, does anyone in here think he should have been hired as the OC for the Miami Hurricanes? Or Jason Garrett, when he was hired by the Giants? Really? Is this the logic now?

I get making that argument for Dorsey, because Dorsey was an elite QB coach both for the Panthers and the Bills, developing Cam Newton into a MVP campaign and Josh Allen from a very likely bust into of the top QBs in pro football (and no, dont even start with "Josh Allen was a good prospect in the first place". He wasnt.). Hurtt was hired as the DL coach by Seattle in 2017 and that group has been unimpressive to downright awful to this day.

Last edited:
I just have to be really honest here: Some of you have no ******* clue about football.

1. Just because someone is hired as a NFL OC or DC does not mean he would do well as a NCAA OC or DC and vice versa. It blows my mind that I even have to say this. There are so many example of this out there...

2. Hurtt was an average to below average assistant in the NFL. The list time he applied to a DC job, he was passed over for Notron Jr., who completely sucked at his job. Carroll is not hiring an elite DC here, he is hiring his guy to save his butt from very likely running Russell Wilson out of town, the best QB Seattle has ever had and probably will have for the next 10-15 years. Seattle fans are going nuts about this hire because everyone knows what Carroll did (again). Instead of trying to change his ideas, he (again) hired someone being supportive of his ideas and his ideas only. Hurtts position group hasnt produced a Pro Bowl or All-Pro player since Michael Bennett in 2017 and that guy was a different cat.

3. Just because someone is being hired as an OC or DC in the NFL does not mean that he is good, let me be absolutely clear about that. The Panthers hired Ben McAdoo, does anyone in here think he should have been hired as the OC for the Miami Hurricanes? Or Jason Garrett, when he was hired by the Giants? Really? Is this the logic now?

I get making that argument for Dorsey, because Dorsey was an elite QB coach both for the Panthers and the Bills, developing Cam Newton into a MVP campaign and Josh Allen from a very likely bust into of the top QBs in pro football (and no, dont even start with "Josh Allen was a good prospect in the first place". He wasnt.). Hurtt was hired as the DL coach by Seattle in 2017 and that group has been unimpressive to downright awful to this day.
Hurtt stinks! He’s been in the NFL for 8 years, and the only thing he’s good at is getting promoted at every job he takes. Seattle promoted him to DC to keep from ruining their DL even further. No better than a HS coach!

And he’s certainly too terrible and not good enough to coach for the Canes or the college game. Thank God we didn’t hire him

Advertisement
Getting an NFL job automatically means you’re a great coach now? Cool. Let’s go hire Adam Gase as our OC! That dude has not only been an OC in the NFL, he’s been a head coach! Twice! NFL GMs always make the best hires and any guy who’s ever gotten an NFL coaching job will assuredly crush any college coaching position.

The “hot shot” NFL offensive minds are just implementing what’s been used in college for decades.

There’s a reason the “pro style” offense is considered ancient in college football. Those guys are 10 years behind the real innovation

I'm happy for Clint but for those posters on here throwing that move in the face of others, let's be honest
- Hurtt interviewed for DC in Seattle before and was passed over, given the AHC title instead of DC.
- Pete appears to be on his way out. If so, why would he move on from "his guys" on his way out? Seems like he's been a Clint fan for a while, even with underperforming Dlines for years. Coaching is just as much about relationships as it is results.

This signing does nothing to show Hurtt would have been a slam dunk hire for Miami. If he does well, he'll have plenty of opportunities to continue proving himself in the pro or college game post-Carroll.

Advertisement
Hurtt stinks! He’s been in the NFL for 8 years, and the only thing he’s good at is getting promoted at every job he takes. Seattle promoted him to DC to keep from ruining their DL even further. No better than a HS coach!

And he’s certainly too terrible and not good enough to coach for the Canes or the college game. Thank God we didn’t hire him
You are a ******* idiot. Thanks for confirming.

Did you fire your DC because his defense was terrible? I’ve got an idea, just promote a guy from his staff to be your new DC! We should have just fired Manny after 2020 and promoted Blake Baker to be head coach in 2021.

****. ****** we missed him. Everyone knows that if you get a coordinator job in the league, you’re absolutely a Lombardi/Halas clone and there’s no chance at all that you’ll be anything less than stellar. Thats why there’s never any coaching movement in the NFL. When you get a job, you’re great at it and stay there until you die. It’s much like a Supreme Court Justice. Very similar roles.

Advertisement
Back