Clint Hurtt as DC??

There's this weird fascination with NFL coaches like they automatically have a leg up on any college coach just because they had a job in the league. The NFL is full of garbage coaches who I would never hire. Adam Gase was an NFL OC and TWO TIME HEAD COACH in the NFL and I wouldn't hire that guy to coach a high school team. Failed NFL coach =/= quality college coach.
if anyone had seen value in him as a DC, he'd have been one. if Manny had made Hurt DC, y'all would rip him a new one. gotta call it like it is. Hurtt as a DC is absolutely underwhelming

Advertisement
Anyone who coached DL for 7 years in the NFL would make a great DC in college? There are NFL head coaches, coordinators and position coaches that have been complete flops in college all through history.
As there have been good college coaches that stink in the nfl.

Anyone who coached DL for 7 years in the NFL would make a great DC in college? There are NFL head coaches, coordinators and position coaches that have been complete flops in college all through history.
There's a case both ways, don't be biased, thats just naïve

Wait a sec. To play devil's advocate, why is Hurtt a bad choice but Schulman who is co-DC but what I understand is, he hasn't called plays either, ok?
That's fair. I guess I'm jaded from the how his last stint here went....it was not good.
Having said that it was a long time ago so I probably shouldn't be.

Advertisement
As there have been good college coaches that stink in the nfl.
OF course but that's not the topic. We're not on an NFL team message board discussing whether or not they should hire a college coach.

Schumann doesn't Call plays either. Look at Georgia's coaching staft if we hired any of those guys to be our coaches before Georgia did our fans would be ****ed. Same goes for Michigan. Not saying I want hurtt but I'm not expecting a big name. Just need a good DC that can develope players and Mario's recruiting will take care of the rest.

Advertisement
2 things. Schumann has more recent experience being around an elite collegiate defense which is why people tend to rank him more highly. Also Hurtt, like Dorsey, suffers from Miami bias. The very reason he'd be in consideration for the position here is the reason people dismiss him. I'd be uncomfortable if he were the pick but the emotional vitriol against him is probably an overreaction.

Schumann is also a co-DC and plays a very active role in developing Georgia’s defensive game plan.
Schumann doesn't Call plays either. Look at Georgia's coaching staft if we hired any of those guys to be our coaches before Georgia did our fans would be ****ed. Same goes for Michigan. Not saying I want hurtt but I'm not expecting a big name. Just need a good DC that can develope players and Mario's recruiting will take care of the rest.
No Schumann doesn’t call plays. But he does help develop the defensive game plan and is known for being a very strong X’s and O’s coach. Hurtt is not known for any of that.

Exactly. I don't get this whole...."He coached in the NFL" argument.
There are coaches in the NFL who suck as coaches. Coaching in the NFL doesn't guarantee that you will be successful at the college level.... especially if you SUCK in the NFL.

Exactly. I don't get this whole...."He coached in the NFL" argument.
There are coaches in the NFL who suck as coaches. Coaching in the NFL doesn't guarantee that you will be successful at the college level.... especially if you SUCK in the NFL.
Thank you!!!! There are college coaches that would coach circles around some nfl coaches if they came back to college.

“Restore his rep” I strongly feel would be the absolute last reason he would come back.

If he’s a sane normal mature adult, he could care three fūcks about his “rep“, which you know is based on message board banter. The show cause is long over and nobody gives a shlt.

I'm not talking about message board reputation, more of an after-the-fact derecognition and dismissal of his college career as being based on Nevin's money. Which it was not. No matter what we now think of Coker, he was the one who predicted that Hurtt would have a bright future as a coach, and this was well before Nevin started giving other people's money to UM.

That is all.

Advertisement
It shouldn't be that **** new....

So now Germans use Melanated urban American slang?

Yeah ok buddy.

How do you know he's not half Black/half German, like half the US Men's National Soccer Team is?

I mean, I'm not saying he is, but he could be.

He’s in Germany.

I learned the word Cap on Cansinsight along with CoRch, PoRster and dime. I now have integrated all of this into my vocabulary and I’m old, white, ****** and in California. I have CIS to thank for helping me to keep up with the times. I’m not sure why borders should prevent others from participating in this wonderful cultural experience. We should be more welcoming to others.

Maybe we should require @Bender to put an umlaut on "cap" when he uses it?

Advertisement
Kirby announced Schumann and Muschamp as CO-DCs starting next year once Lanning leaves for Oregon.

Don't know if they increased his salary, but $1.5 Million and sole autonomy of the defense here might be intriguing.
If Muschamp is Co Glenny ain’t calling plays

How do you know he's not half Black/half German, like half the US Men's National Soccer Team is?

I mean, I'm not saying he is, but he could be.
What is black?

I understand half German but black isn't a nation, tribe, heritage, race, or culture.

Besides that just because a person's skin is melanin rich doesn't mean ****.

There are melanated people in India with straight hair as black as an ace of spade.

Doesn't give them a pass to start culture appropriation

Schumann is also a co-DC and plays a very active role in developing Georgia’s defensive game plan.

No Schumann doesn’t call plays. But he does help develop the defensive game plan and is known for being a very strong X’s and O’s coach. Hurtt is not known for any of that.

The only difference between the two are perception because the truth is no one knows what Hurtt does. They are both risks in my eyes. I'd take Zack Arnett over both of them

What do I need to tell? It's just simple facts. Nevin only gave money to the Athletic Department. The infamous picture of him giving an oversized check to Donna was at an Athletic Department fundraiser at a bowling alley, and Donna had no expectation of receiving such an ostentatious and obnoxious display, hence the surprised look on her face.

There was no "started with Donna and trickled down to the Athletic Department" nonsense. That is factually untrue. The relatively small amount of unbounced-check money that Nevin gave to UM was not given to Donna and the Momentum Campaign, it was given to our various Athletic Directors and their penny ante fund-raising efforts.

Those are just facts.

Advertisement
Back