Cleveland Reed hits the Portal

This was a kid we were clamoring for, but now he’s trash? Could it possibly be our player development hasn’t been up to snuff? We were happy w this portal situation, but now this chit is coming back on us.
I didn't say he was trash, I just said we're not the only team that loses kids to the portal. Kids transferring out, especially after a coaching change isn't anything new.

We've been able to develop the guys that passed him up on the depth chart so that doesn't seem to be a problem.

They will have to put a concerned effort into signing a couple of linemen this season. Maybe we can take transfer from somewhere else? It's college football in 2019 and rosters are more fluid than ever. The old ways of redshirting and developing a guy for three years before playing him are over for the most part. With the amount of turnover on coaching staffs, it only makes things even more fluid. Guy gets recruited by coach A. Coach A gets fired or moves on to another job. Coach B takes over. Has his own idea of the type of player he wants and all of the sudden the kid that got all kinds of love from the former coach, is the odd man out. Might as well get used to this whole thing because kids are going to be coming and going a lot.

Advertisement
I mean an ijury to a guard wouldnt even put him in the game. Last week Donaldson lost his helmet and they slid Scaife inside and put Campbell at tackle. So he is at least 2 injuries away from playing time.

My real problem is the underlying attrition problem we’ve been experiencing for a while now. What’s really going on, here. It can’t just b playing time.

Exactly man. Have to wonder if this isn't more of the culture clean-up Diaz has been talking about. Depth is sh*t though!

Advertisement
All the more dumb for a kid to announce the portal midseason.
Kids are making decisions based on emotion. He is not a QB where only one guy plays. Redshirt freshman OL transferring already instead of staying and fighting for a spot. He can go somewhere else and get passed up their too. Kids have to think before they jump.

You can't be 4 deep at every spot. It's impossible. Even if you use all 85 scholarships, you'll never be able to have quality depth at every position. Why? because quality players aren't willing to just sit the bench and wait anymore. It's a constant scramble. You can sign a bunch of horrible players who don't belong here and maybe they'll be willing to be emergency depth but does terrible depth actually count as depth at all?

My real problem is the underlying attrition problem we’ve been experiencing for a while now. What’s really going on, here. It can’t just b playing time.
The other part of that problem has been under-recruiting every year. Attrition is to some extent a part of the game, especially now in the portal era. I keep going back to Malek Young's injury and him being the only CB we landed. When we lost him that was it for that class. And he's the kind of 3* talent that grows on trees in SoFL. Now we have no SR CBs, and only 1 JR CB. Times that by every position on the team and real issues start to emerge. I keep saying we should really think about every guy we recruit here in terms of 3 years. Some guys play as FR, then bounce as JRs, and then some even stay as a SR. Some guys redshirt, but they have got to show they are taking their position on the team seriously by the end of their 3rd year, or theyve got to be phased off the roster. Every single class of recruits needs to be thinking about 3 years down the road, who's in & who's out. I still dont see enough OTs being recruited.

Advertisement
Kids are making decisions based on emotion. He is not a QB where only one guy plays. Redshirt freshman OL transferring already instead of staying and fighting for a spot. He can go somewhere else and get passed up their too. Kids have to think before they jump.
100% It would be much smarter to stay, but we never know whats going on. They could be pushing him out too. This hurts depth down the road, but at least we dont seem to have trouble bringing in G types.

I don’t know. The transfer portal is hitting everybody pretty hard right now. But coupling that with our roster imbalance hurts us much more.

You can't be 4 deep at every spot. It's impossible. Even if you use all 85 scholarships, you'll never be able to have quality depth at every position. Why? because quality players aren't willing to just sit the bench and wait anymore. It's a constant scramble. You can sign a bunch of horrible players who don't belong here and maybe they'll be willing to be emergency depth but does terrible depth actually count as depth at all?

We can’t be 4 deep. Agreed. But at OL you need to be two deep. Or at the very least you need your 3rd guard and 3rd tackle to be pretty good. Due to our roster imbalance we don’t have that right now.

Intersting tweet. Referencing Bowman? Reed transferred from Fort Meade to Lakeland and then back to Fort Meade. Now Reed Sunshine Pumps Clemson. Anyone one want to wager on Clemson giving a scholarship to a guy that could not start at UM and is looking at not being eligible to play till 2021? Somehow, I think Dabo will find a better option.

Advertisement
I didn't say he was trash, I just said we're not the only team that loses kids to the portal. Kids transferring out, especially after a coaching change isn't anything new.

“We've been able to develop the guys that passed him up on the depth chart so that doesn't seem to be a problem.”

They will have to put a concerned effort into signing a couple of linemen this season. Maybe we can take transfer from somewhere else? It's college football in 2019 and rosters are more fluid than ever. The old ways of redshirting and developing a guy for three years before playing him are over for the most part. With the amount of turnover on coaching staffs, it only makes things even more fluid. Guy gets recruited by coach A. Coach A gets fired or moves on to another job. Coach B takes over. Has his own idea of the type of player he wants and all of the sudden the kid that got all kinds of love from the former coach, is the odd man out. Might as well get used to this whole thing because kids are going to be coming and going a lot.

How r we sure that we’ve “developed” guys ahead of him? Campbell just got busted wide open, and so has Zion. We’re trying to go max protect now, against a team like BCC.

Listen, I’m not going to pretend to be some insider as to y he transferred, but I can tell you that no team has had attrition like us, and I’m pretty sure at this point, it’s not simply playing time. JT bounced, and he was a starter. Pope was a true Frosh and had to be talked off the ledge. Smith was two deep and just bounced.

Again, I’m not sure what’s going on, but this underlying problem of attrition is getting tiresome, especially if our recruiting evals haven’t been on point.

So we have 1 of 3 or problems here:

1. Our recruiting evals are flat terrible
2. Our recruiting evals are great, but player development is terrible
3. Our recruiting evals are great, our player development is great, but the program sucks.

Pick & choose what’s going on and regardless, it’s a problem.

The other part of that problem has been under-recruiting every year. Attrition is to some extent a part of the game, especially now in the portal era. I keep going back to Malek Young's injury and him being the only CB we landed. When we lost him that was it for that class. And he's the kind of 3* talent that grows on trees in SoFL. Now we have no SR CBs, and only 1 JR CB. Times that by every position on the team and real issues start to emerge. I keep saying we should really think about every guy we recruit here in terms of 3 years. Some guys play as FR, then bounce as JRs, and then some even stay as a SR. Some guys redshirt, but they have got to show they are taking their position on the team seriously by the end of their 3rd year, or theyve got to be phased off the roster. Every single class of recruits needs to be thinking about 3 years down the road, who's in & who's out. I still dont see enough OTs being recruited.
I say this because we arent exactly getting the choice cuts in recruiting as we all know, and the 3* guys and OL/DL typically take a couple of seasons to really be impact players. But if we had a roster of:
SR: Young
JR: Bandy, Henderson
SO: Blades, Ivey
FR: Couch, Williams
and put that depth across the board, youre dealing with a seasoned group of talented football players & depth & leadership.

Advertisement

100% agree w u.

I don’t know. The transfer portal is hitting everybody pretty hard right now. But coupling that with our roster imbalance hurts us much more.

The portal has not hit teams like it has us. Teams are losing one to maybe two guys. They are losing graduate transfers. We’ve now lost:
1. Asa Martin
2. Cade Weldon (not tripping off of him)
3. Lawrence Cager
4. Marquez Ezzard
5. Derrick Smith
6. Nigel Bethel
7. Cleveland Reed

That’s all in 2019. Now some of these guys are whatever, but optically its a bad look just simply due to our attrition rate since 2010. We’ve lost more players from recruiting classes than any other school by a far & wide margin. So what’s the problem?

He did play the least amount of snaps last week besides Kennedy who didn’t even play. Seems like we have moved Campbell inside to guard and Toraroe or whatever his name are ahead of him. He saw the firing in the wall instead of sticking around to fight for a spot he quit.

Guessing he is only ahead of Dykstra and Kennedy on our roster. Pretty amazing seeing as he was a high school all American.

Advertisement
Back