Cleveland Reed hits the Portal

The portal has not hit teams like it has us. Teams are losing one to maybe two guys. They are losing graduate transfers. We’ve now lost:
1. Asa Martin
2. Cade Weldon (not tripping off of him)
3. Lawrence Cager
4. Marquez Ezzard
5. Derrick Smith
6. Nigel Bethel
7. Cleveland Reed

That’s all in 2019. Now some of these guys are whatever, but optically its a bad look just simply due to our attrition rate since 2010. We’ve lost more players from recruiting classes than any other school by a far & wide margin. So what’s the problem?

UCLA lost like 15 players. Virginia Tech lost about that much as well

Advertisement
The other part of that problem has been under-recruiting every year. Attrition is to some extent a part of the game, especially now in the portal era. I keep going back to Malek Young's injury and him being the only CB we landed. When we lost him that was it for that class. And he's the kind of 3* talent that grows on trees in SoFL. Now we have no SR CBs, and only 1 JR CB. Times that by every position on the team and real issues start to emerge. I keep saying we should really think about every guy we recruit here in terms of 3 years. Some guys play as FR, then bounce as JRs, and then some even stay as a SR. Some guys redshirt, but they have got to show they are taking their position on the team seriously by the end of their 3rd year, or theyve got to be phased off the roster. Every single class of recruits needs to be thinking about 3 years down the road, who's in & who's out. I still dont see enough OTs being recruited.
I think you've just got to get the most competitive kids and best available talent. Competitive kids will flush out the less Competitive kids.

The Diaz era is still new.

Maybe he just never really “bought in”. Add that to others having better skills and being a better fit to Butch Barry’s. vision for the OLine and you have an unhappy player.

Wasnt Reed the last player to sign his LOI during the early signing period? On the 2nd or final day? I seem to remember him initially not planning on signing until Feb and then deciding to sign in December. Could just be a situation where the fit wasn’t right for either party.

Advertisement
UCLA lost like 15 players. Virginia Tech lost about that much as well

Lol; UCLA should fold it’s football program, honestly.

But what’s the commonality between those two programs? It’s # 3. Schools don’t just bleed players off the rip.

The portal has not hit teams like it has us. Teams are losing one to maybe two guys. They are losing graduate transfers. We’ve now lost:
1. Asa Martin
3. Lawrence Cager
4. Marquez Ezzard
5. Derrick Smith
6. Nigel Bethel
7. Cleveland Reed

That’s all in 2019. Now some of these guys are whatever, but optically its a bad look just simply due to our attrition rate since 2010. We’ve lost more players from recruiting classes than any other school by a far & wide margin. So what’s the problem?
We have lost some but others teams are losing just as much if not more. Problem is we have had a bad attrition rate in the golden years in the richt years as well

Don't think this is a lack of talent issue think he got caught in the middle of a philosophy change between Oline coaches. Berry values athleticism over power.

Advertisement
Clark is eventually the C after Gaynor leaves. Miami should probably take 3 to 4 Gs and at least 3 Ts this cycle. Thats a minimum of 6 OL & we have 3 currently committed.

Advertisement
Don't think this is a lack of talent issue think he got caught in the middle of a philosophy change between Oline coaches. Berry values athleticism over power.
I think coaches value both and constantly train their guys in both. All the top teams have huge, athletic OLs. We are very far from them in that regard.

Hope he reconsiders. I know most just want kids that want to be at Miami but we will never get to 85 with 5-10 kids leaving via the portal.

Advertisement
1. Asa Martin
3. Lawrence Cager
4. Marquez Ezzard
5. Derrick Smith
6. Nigel Bethel
7. Cleveland Reed

Teams typically lose guys when a new HC comes in though. So this isn't a fair characterization of this situation in my opinion. You're going to see turnover when a new HC is brought in. A school like VT with their coach in place for a few years is much more alarming.

How r we sure that we’ve “developed” guys ahead of him? Campbell just got busted wide open, and so has Zion. We’re trying to go max protect now, against a team like BCC.

Listen, I’m not going to pretend to be some insider as to y he transferred, but I can tell you that no team has had attrition like us, and I’m pretty sure at this point, it’s not simply playing time. JT bounced, and he was a starter. Pope was a true Frosh and had to be talked off the ledge. Smith was two deep and just bounced.

Again, I’m not sure what’s going on, but this underlying problem of attrition is getting tiresome, especially if our recruiting evals haven’t been on point.

So we have 1 of 3 or problems here:

1. Our recruiting evals are flat terrible
2. Our recruiting evals are great, but player development is terrible
3. Our recruiting evals are great, our player development is great, but the program sucks.

Pick & choose what’s going on and regardless, it’s a problem.
Pope and Jeff Thomas wanted out because they didn't want to play in the 115th ranked passing offense in the nation. Those coaches are all gone now. Smith left because he kept getting bumped in the depth chart. That's going to happen. Reed is leaving because???? As far as development and or evaluations, there isn't a single member of our offensive staff that's been here over 7 months. Maybe it's a bit early to jump off a cliff regarding their evals and/or development.

Guys leave. Especially when a new staff takes over and doesn't think as highly of them as the old coaches did. There isn't some conspiracy for players to have some kind of exodus. The only thing odd about Reed transferring is that he's doing it right now when it doesn't benefit him. Had he transferred after the season, nobody would have thought much about it.

I think coaches value both and constantly train their guys in both. All the top teams have huge, athletic OLs. We are very far from them in that regard.
True but schools like Clemson recruit long tough athletes them develop there bodies. Usually take 6'4 to 6'6 lineman at 260 280 then develop them over a few years to fill in for the grads. Bama takes them ready to go. 4 or 5 star guys who already have the size and weight.

When we flirted with Campbell at tackle - who from watching during spring had no shot at handling it - just to move Scaife to guard I thought we had nothing with Hillary and Reed. When a frosh came and stole their lunch right away I KNEW we had nothing. I think what Lance mentioned about his athleticism is true. Sloppy, overweight, slow footed linemen are getting eaten up now days.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back