Cleveland making me proud

AkronCane

Recruit
Premium
Cleveland is a **** embarrassment! Not Canes recruiting, but I thought that the board might find it interesting. Has anyone heard of anything like this happening anywhere else? I remember reading a story where Saban claimed to be in a bar in town where he was visiting a prospect and the bar got robbed, but he was so allegedly locked into what he was there for that he didn’t notice the holdup taking place. I call BS on that tale, but Saban claims that it happened.

Advertisement
Cleveland is a **** embarrassment! Not Canes recruiting, but I thought that the board might find it interesting. Has anyone heard of anything like this happening anywhere else? I remember reading a story where Saban claimed to be in a bar in town where he was visiting a prospect and the bar got robbed, but he was so allegedly locked into what he was there for that he didn’t notice the holdup taking place. I call BS on that tale, but Saban claims that it happened.

Cleveland isn't an embarrassment. The 4 people that did the crime are the embarrassment. It even happened in a low crime rate area. There is no reason to blame an entire city. It could happen anywhere.

Naw it's in Ohio. **** Cleveland.
My nephew plays for Glenville, they just won their second straight D-IV state championship. He doesn't go to the 'Ville, he attends Ginn Academy, lives in a nice suburb called Mentor where Mitch Trubiski is from. Glenville is in the hood, for real...Like Thuggish Ruggish Bone, E. 99th level hood. I'm disappointed that it happened, but not at all surprised.

Advertisement
Naw it's in Ohio. **** Cleveland.
There are a couple of kids at Glenville and Cleveland Hts that we'll be looking in on. This kid Marquise Davis from Heights is legit. He's been offered by Mario and pretty much everyone else in the country. He's the best RB in the state and got robbed for Mr. Football a few weeks ago worse than anyone I've ever seen. Mario and company better come strapped when they go up there to check those kids out.

Every place has a d block near you
Hold On Reaction GIF by Desus & Mero

Advertisement
There's only one sure thing that I know:
I've got to get out of Ohio!

I live in DC and despite what some people will tell you, it is a very nice city (there are certainly parts that aren't as nice as others). That said, the carjacking - even in the nice areas - hasn't gotten out of control with close to 1,000 this year (they setup a webpage just so people could track it).

The truly crazy part of it is that the majority (60%+) of the carjackings have been kids... and I don't mean 16 or 17 year olds (although they did arrest ten 18 and 19 year olds who were juveniles at the time just yesterday); it's primarily kids 13-15 years old and as young as 10. A lot of the times they pull a gun on someone, take the car, drive for a few blocks and then just abandon the car (sometimes due to crashing, but frequently not). It's like it has become the cool fun thing to do.

And no one has a good answer for how to stop it as 1) what are you going to do, throw a 13 year old in jail for the rest of their life and 2) even if you do believe that is the answer, the juvenile detention centers are already over capacity.

Advertisement
I live in DC and despite what some people will tell you, it is a very nice city (there are certainly parts that aren't as nice as others). That said, the carjacking - even in the nice areas - hasn't gotten out of control with close to 1,000 this year (they setup a webpage just so people could track it).

The truly crazy part of it is that the majority (60%+) of the carjackings have been kids... and I don't mean 16 or 17 year olds (although they did arrest ten 18 and 19 year olds who were juveniles at the time just yesterday); it's primarily kids 13-15 years old and as young as 10. A lot of the times they pull a gun on someone, take the car, drive for a few blocks and then just abandon the car (sometimes due to crashing, but frequently not). It's like it has become the cool fun thing to do.

And no one has a good answer for how to stop it as 1) what are you going to do, throw a 13 year old in jail for the rest of their life and 2) even if you do believe that is the answer, the juvenile detention centers are already over capacity.

“And no one has a good answer for how to stop it as 1) what are you going to do, throw a 13 year old in jail for the rest of their life and 2) even if you do believe that is the answer, the juvenile detention centers are already over capacity.”

My boy is a P.O for the juvenile system. The reason these kids are running rampant across the country is due to:

1. Social Media Clout Chasing. They absolutely love putting what they do out there b/c

2. There’s no consequences. Many get a slap on the wrist b/c the detention centers are primarily reserved for juveniles who commit violent crimes (which the criteria has now changed/been redefined)

3. No parental structure. So many parents r too busy trying to be kids themselves and have become more friends than disciplinarians.

“And no one has a good answer for how to stop it as 1) what are you going to do, throw a 13 year old in jail for the rest of their life and 2) even if you do believe that is the answer, the juvenile detention centers are already over capacity.”

My boy is a P.O for the juvenile system. The reason these kids are running rampant across the country is due to:

1. Social Media Clout Chasing. They absolutely love putting what they do out there b/c

2. There’s no consequences. Many get a slap on the wrist b/c the detention centers are primarily reserved for juveniles who commit violent crimes (which the criteria has now changed/been redefined)

3. No parental structure. So many parents r too busy trying to be kids themselves and have become more friends than disciplinarians.

1. Clout chasing - the one good thing about this is that they make it easier to find them

2. Consequences - I have mixed feelings on this; obviously there has to be some type of punishment to deter the behavior but also don't think that a kid should have the rest of their life ruined b/c they were hanging with the wrong crowd/being influenced as a 12 year old (clearly this is dependent on the severity of what happened and their involvement). Obviously there has to be a middle ground between letting them off and setting them up for failure for the rest of their life (and slapping the on the wrist would likely do the latter anyway).

3. Parents - I am not a parent nor someone who has the background that a lot of these kids are coming from so I don't think it is fair for me to say whether this is due to parents being too friendly, apathetic, unable to pay attention b/c they are working multiple jobs, etc but clearly there is an issue here when 12 years are doing this.

The other thing about DC crime that I should add and is unique to DC... DC crimes are not prosecuted by DC prosecutors, but rather federal prosecutors. This has lead to tension as the prosecutors are not elected by DC residents or appointed by the DC gov't so they are not always in line with DC residents/the gov't. They often drop charges or reduce the charges when DC would not have. They are also understaffed and there is a huge backlog (probably one of the reasons they drop/let off with minimal punishment) so a lot of these cases take forever to get to trial and they don't want to keep the kids in jail for 2 years awaiting trial. They typically have homes that would house these kids, but they are overcrowded so a lot of the kids are being let out on supervision while waiting for trial. Several of the kids that have been arrested have been found to be in this situation and wearing ankle braces at the time of the carjacking 🤦‍♂️

Also, I forgot about this gem (assuming that is true) where what appear to be very young teens and/or pre-teens are debating whether they would get more jail time for carjacking someone or murder...

Advertisement
Cleveland isn't an embarrassment. The 4 people that did the crime are the embarrassment. It even happened in a low crime rate area. There is no reason to blame an entire city. It could happen anywhere.
Buddy I live in Cleveland. This happened in the worst area of the entire city lolol. But the city of Cleveland is much better than the state of Ohio as a whole. But Ginn academy is in glenville which is the worst neighborhood in the state

Buddy I live in Cleveland. This happened in the worst area of the entire city lolol. But the city of Cleveland is much better than the state of Ohio as a whole. But Ginn academy is in glenville which is the worst neighborhood in the state
My nephew goes to Ginn and plays at Glenville, but lives in Mentor. By chance are you familiar with Kim’s Wings?

Advertisement
Back