Clemson OL coaching

Advertisement
Is game week and we have posters starting threads sucking off Bama and Clemson.
Seems like a dry run in case we lose to Bama they'll come out in droves.
No what you prefer than substantial points with facts is talking about which current player is like a 2001 Cane and how great we are and then how our players suck if we lose. See unlike you. I know this is a process, and i wanna see how other good teams have done it. Sue me

So he just magically fixed all his deficiencies at UNC?
I didnt say that either. Searles was not good at Miami. That’s my statement, which everyone knows

Why are two different posters putting words in my mouth and going off in different directions?

I didnt say that either. Searles was not good at Miami. That’s my statement, which everyone knows

Why are two different posters putting words in my mouth and going off in different directions?
Searles, like most coaches has looked good when he had a really talented team to work with and looked pretty poor when working with lesser offenses. He's been a bit of a journeyman but has made some good connections. He worked with Richt in Georgia and at MIami. Before that he was at LSU under Les Miles. He got a ring there but their offenses were generally average to below average. He had a nice run at Texas before heading to Viriginia Tech under Frank Beamer and generally getting very little production. North Carolina put up really good offensive numbers last year despite finishing tied for 102nd in sacks allowed per game. (worse than Miami btw) I guess you could say they were better run blockers than pass blockers?

They weren't duds. Just didn't work out here. I find it funny how people are suddenly saying Stacy Searels has UNC offensive line humming just cuz they let our DLine run themselves out of position all game long.
That game was 100% on poor defensive line play. It's not like they were blowing guys off the ball and shoving dudes over. They would let Miami's linemen rush wildly upfield with no gap responsibilities and just run through the giant holes they left.

Advertisement

Just asking a question friend.

I don't believe Searles was as bad here as people blame. I think he just had very little to work with regarding the total OL group and he wasn't able to coach 110% out of them.

Their OL coach Robbie Caldwell is a Grey beard...been around for years and is highly-regarded with deep roots in the Carolinas and from the Furman coaching tree, a program that has won for years....OP is right, coaching matters.
Robbie Caldwell was the interim Head Coach at Vanderbilt for a year back a few years ago. He spoke at the SEC Media Days about a week after he got the interim job. It's HILARIOUS!!!! It's a great watch on YouTube if anyone needs a laugh..

Advertisement
Searles, like most coaches has looked good when he had a really talented team to work with and looked pretty poor when working with lesser offenses. He's been a bit of a journeyman but has made some good connections. He worked with Richt in Georgia and at MIami. Before that he was at LSU under Les Miles. He got a ring there but their offenses were generally average to below average. He had a nice run at Texas before heading to Viriginia Tech under Frank Beamer and generally getting very little production. North Carolina put up really good offensive numbers last year despite finishing tied for 102nd in sacks allowed per game. (worse than Miami btw) I guess you could say they were better run blockers than pass blockers?

he is definitely a coach that has worked at well known schools under well known coaches, but you’d be hard pressed to reference key metrics that his OL’s have achieved under him, or even giant recruiting wins

Right... but one matters more than the other.

Coaching matters more.

Chess player> chess pieces
If I had to pick one I’d go players. You’ve had Chizik and Orgeron have titles but no team the last few decades hasn’t been loaded with talent.

Orgeron did have Brady, and Malzahn+Newtan was a perfect match. It’s from somewhere around 55-60% players the rest coaching, and if you don’t have both you have no shot.

Advertisement
If I had to pick one I’d go players. You’ve had Chizik and Orgeron have titles but no team the last few decades hasn’t been loaded with talent.

Orgeron did have Brady, and Malzahn+Newtan was a perfect match. It’s from somewhere around 55-60% players the rest coaching, and if you don’t have both you have no shot.
Im going with the coaching because they can coach up potential as well as talent thats NFL quality. Makes recruiting easier.

Advertisement
Yes but that is coaching lol. Identifying players ability and project them is a talent. Also yes u can coach up players ability to diagnose plays,Recognize keys based on what the OL does, alignment etc. Things they will not have done to a high level in high school. So yes its all coaching.

It's not coaching at all,...but it is ON the coaches.

Yes but let's not sit and pretend like Clemson's last 6-7 years never happened due to a bad night vs. a Top 5 team. The initial point is still up for discussion.

Advertisement
Back