Clemson OL coaching

Advertisement
the last two OL coaches we had before Justice were complete duds… it’s a surprise we’ve built it up this quickly. The future is bright

They weren't duds. Just didn't work out here. I find it funny how people are suddenly saying Stacy Searels has UNC offensive line humming just cuz they let our DLine run themselves out of position all game long.

And last year their offense was all about misdirection. Like you said they don't try to play bully, they play to their strengths.
They run a majority screen offense and work off what opens up when teams try to play to beat the screen game. They've done this for years at this point, all the way back till when Chad Morris was the OC around 2012.

They weren't duds. Just didn't work out here. I find it funny how people are suddenly saying Stacy Searels has UNC offensive line humming just cuz they let our DLine run themselves out of position all game long.
I did t say anything about Searles at UNC. Many players had disparaging things to say about him and he couldn’t recruit to save his life here

Because being fast at linebacker doesn't matter if you have no instincts. You can coach a guy until you're blue in the face but if he doesn't have that nose for the ball, he'll never be a good linebacker. Our most awarded defensive player in team history was recruited as a running back and moved to linebacker as a freshman and immediately became a starter and impact player. Coaching isn't the issue. Identifying and targeting the right players has been.
Huh, I honestly did not know that and I feel like I am a pretty well versed Canes fan. And have been relatively in the know for a long time. Maybe Morgan was before I really started following you guys who give me all the recruiting info. It’s Morgan correct? Had no clue he came in is a back. Thanks for that info, never knew that was the case. How did I not know that? I am feeling a bit of shame at the moment.

Advertisement
OL function as a group, Clemson may have only had five guys, but they've had some groups that played very well together and that allows the great RB or running QB to reach their full potential. Sometimes its football IQ - I mean how many times have you seen our OL looking one way that needs no help, as a LB stunted from another direction and goes by him without even having a hand laid on him. Go watch LSU or UF games.

When you get a guy heading to the NFL, it could just be his ability, and it alone often can't lift the play of the other guys, up as a unit.

LOL only have 5 offensive linemen drafted in 13 years tells me that Clemson doesn't recruit or develop very well in that area, but yeah... coaching 😅

Searles was somewhere in the middle. Richts scheme was making him look worse and Longo’s is making him look better than he is. Regardless of scheme we saw a lot of things that smelt like poor o line coaching, and his evaluations were horrible.

Advertisement
the last two OL coaches we had before Justice were complete duds… it’s a surprise we’ve built it up this quickly. The future is bright
OL coach is one of the more important position coaches because linemen are almost never plug and play. They all need to be developed. It’s also a position that has a relatively high bust rate so identifying player types is a major skill

Some of yall have on blinders. Clemson doesn't physically dominate ACC teams. They play a highly disciplined and properly schemed defense, and a screen based offense with great receivers that can and will take you deep if you try to sit on the short routes. Their OL don't give gaping holes for their RBs. In fact, when we played them last year, it was ridiculous how many times Travis turned a negative play into a 7+ yard gain. Equally respectable is the ability for all their QBs to get the fck up outta there when they need to...additionally how effecient their rollout plays are.

Huh, I honestly did not know that and I feel like I am a pretty well versed Canes fan. And have been relatively in the know for a long time. Maybe Morgan was before I really started following you guys who give me all the recruiting info. It’s Morgan correct? Had no clue he came in is a back. Thanks for that info, never knew that was the case. How did I not know that? I am feeling a bit of shame at the moment.
Yeah Dan Morgan was a high school running back. I had the unenviable task of trying to tackle him back in 1996. He did play some defense for Taravella because you just can’t keep an athlete like that off the field but he was recruited to play running back. Butch was obviously super short handed for the 1997 season and they had some talent at the RB spot already so Morgan got moved to linebacker

Truth is, our 80’s and 90’s championship teams didn’t have great offensive lines either. We had some solid individual players but those teams were based around elite quarterback play and superior athletes at skill positions. Miami was never a power running offense outside of those few seasons in the early 2000’s when we had a really incredible line.

Advertisement
Some of yall have on blinders. Clemson doesn't physically dominate ACC teams. They play a highly disciplined and properly schemed defense, and a screen based offense with great receivers that can and will take you deep if you try to sit on the short routes. Their OL don't give gaping holes for their RBs. In fact, when we played them last year, it was ridiculous how many times Travis turned a negative play into a 7+ yard gain. Equally respectable is the ability for all their QBs to get the fck up outta there when they need to...additionally how effecient their rollout plays are.
No one said anything about physically dominating or none of the shhhh u just mentioned. Whatever or however they did it. They coached up non NFL OL players to play top level college football against other teams with NFL players, consistently. Maybe we should take note since we always crying about not having NFL players.

Truth is, our 80’s and 90’s championship teams didn’t have great offensive lines either. We had some solid individual players but those teams were based around elite quarterback play and superior athletes at skill positions. Miami was never a power running offense outside of those few seasons in the early 2000’s when we had a really incredible line.
Its calles using what you have instead of complaining about what you don't. If you have smaller OL use movement instead of trying to pound ahead. If you have small DL, stunt and twist and try to create confusion. Thats what we use to do. We had a single back system long before many teams started using it.

Its calles using what you have instead of complaining about what you don't. If you have smaller OL use movement instead of trying to pound ahead. If you have small DL, stunt and twist and try to create confusion. Thats what we use to do. We had a single back system long before many teams started using it.
Why did you think we went from near the bottom of FBS in offense in 2019 to 32nd in 2020? We switched to a scheme that wasn’t totally reliant on having an incredible offensive line.

I feel like your whole argument here is a season late. Miami has already made that change.

Advertisement
Someone mentioned yesterday, think it was the 247 guy on YouTube. He said Dabo has had 69 players drafted at Clemson and only 5 were OL. I haven't verified it but that shocked me you know because our fans like to only mention NFL draft picks when they compare our team to playoff teams. This is a team that owns our conference and has beaten the best SEC teams múltiple times. But that simple makes you know coaching matters, much much more than simply loading your team with players. And it matters more at certain positions. That neckroll white guy can play LB for Clemson but we cry about our LBs. Our LBs are probably faster than that guy and yet he was killing our OL and banging into Cam. You need elite coaching at OL, LB and QB. The evaluation, developing player IQ and such matters so much more than watching highlight tapes from high school. Lets hope we are turning the corner and we see players emerge because they have been coached up properly. Because as far as im concerned this season is all on the coaching staff.
Clemson's OL is considered one of the weakest position groups on the team, as it has been the last couple of seasons.

Is game week and we have posters starting threads sucking off Bama and Clemson.
Seems like a dry run in case we lose to Bama they'll come out in droves.

Their OL coach Robbie Caldwell is a Grey beard...been around for years and is highly-regarded with deep roots in the Carolinas and from the Furman coaching tree, a program that has won for years....OP is right, coaching matters.
So do the athletes.

Why did you think we went from near the bottom of FBS in offense in 2019 to 32nd in 2020? We switched to a scheme that wasn’t totally reliant on having an incredible offensive line.

I feel like your whole argument here is a season late. Miami has already made that change.
You are talking about things am not talking about which is focusing on schematics and im talking about our personal. We had a different scheme under Richt as well and every time we have failed going back to Golden. Its always talking about NFL calibee opponents which is why i highlighted Clemson draft picks. But keep missing the point. Whatever scheme you are implementing you need to develop players to implement it successfully. And we were nothing special last season against any decent DL.

Advertisement
Back