Class Impact: Tyler Johnson to Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2021 South Dade (FL) DE/OLB Tyler Johnson committed to the Canes last Sunday afternoon during his junior day visit to Miami.

The 6-2, 200-pounder is currently unranked in the national rankings, as not many class of 2021 prospects have earned a rating yet. His commitment moves Miami’s 2021 class ranking to #1 on 247Sports and #1 on Rivals.

The Player

It’s been stated many times at this point, but here’s one more for good measure: Johnson is the younger brother of the recently graduated All-World Hurricanes safety Jaquan Johnson. Just like his brother, coaches and teammates are effusive in their praise of Tyler, calling him a weight room warrior, hard worker, and a leader both on and off the field despite only being a sophomore. At Paradise Camp in July, Johnson played a lot of linebacker and earned his UM offer the next day. Johnson always wanted to be a Hurricane and it wouldn’t take long for him to come aboard. Along with 4 other recruits, including his teammate in 2020 CB Jaiden Francois, he committed to the Canes at junior day last weekend. UGA was Johnson’s other major offer at the time.

If you wanted to know if Johnson leans more towards the DE or OLB side of the spectrum, just take a look at his tape: basically every clip is of him rushing the passer, either with his hand on the ground or standing up just off the edge. Clearly his playing style lends you to believe he would be a fit at DE at the next level, but he has the speed and frame to stick at LB as well if UM chooses to put him there. It will be worth watching how much he grows over the next two years, and he certainly could have a similar trajectory as former South Dade teammate and current Miami DE/OLB Patrick Joyner.

Johnson’s feet never stop moving, and that’s key for someone that’s undersized like he is right now going up against much larger offensive lineman. Johnson is all speed, and it is hard for high school level offensive lineman to even get a hand on him with his quick first step. He rushes in with good lean and dips low to propel himself around the edge. Johnson flashes disruptive qualities in gaps and seemingly always finds a window to knife his way into the backfield.

The Class

For purposes of discussion, we will look at Johnson as a LB for now since we just looked at DE yesterday in Chamon Metayer’s Class Impact, but Johnson could very well end up as a DE at UM. Johnson is the 7th commit overall (at the time) in the 2021 class and the first linebacker in the class. Being nearly two years from the class of 2021’s signing day, it’s difficult to accurately predict how the numbers will shake out for this class with so many variables still undetermined.

There’s not many offers out to linebackers in this class so far, but one in particular that UM has been going after for a while now is Sandalwood (FL) 4-star Branden Jennings. Like Johnson, Jennings is also a UM legacy that is high on the Canes, being the younger brother of current UM linebacker BJ Jennings. UM took a bit of a hit here when main recruiter Todd Hartley was let go, but some feel Jennings is Miami’s to lose. FSU will be the team to watch out for here, as Jennings is a legacy there as well.

The Team

Assuming there’s no attrition, the LB’s from the current roster that will still be on campus when Johnson arrives in 2021 are seniors Bradley Jennings, Waynmon Steed, and De’Andre Wilder, along with juniors Avery Huff and Sam Brooks, plus senior hybrid DE/OLB Patrick Joyner. In 2020, UM has no current linebacker commits, but they will certainly take at least 3 to help balance the numbers.

Like most freshmen, Johnson will likely take his first year to work his way into the rotation and develop his technique and body for the rigors of the college game. He could also be similar to Joyner in that Johnson could bounce back and forth between LB and DE his freshman season at UM. However, the returning LB’s in 2021 are completely unproven as of now, so there will theoretically be plenty of playing time available for Johnson and any of his classmates if he sticks at LB. Johnson has as good a chance as anybody to take hold of a starting job and run with it by his sophomore season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
2020 is a massive year for linebacker for this team.

2021 commits are nice...but Miami needs big time (4*+) type linebackers for the 2020 class.

I'm curious what churn is when we sign a guy within the cycle vs 2 years out.

It seems we have a bunch of great early commits (understanding in-season events influence final decisions), but my guess (no data) is commits sign LOIs 75% if committed within the signing year, and 60% if outside of the signing year. Does this data exist?

I'm curious what churn is when we sign a guy within the cycle vs 2 years out.

It seems we have a bunch of great early commits (understanding in-season events influence final decisions), but my guess (no data) is commits sign LOIs 75% if committed within the signing year, and 60% if outside of the signing year. Does this data exist?
It really doesnt matter. This is all fan stuff. Vthe satff’s job is get the right kids to sign. If the kid wants to ‘commit,’ fine. There isn’t a reason to tell him no. Obviously some early commits will end up not coming here. That doesn’t mean the early commit is a causal reason. Nor that it mattered at the end of the day.

Advertisement
Another player in that class that needs to stick
Lmao, what other school you think JAQUAN JOHNSON's lil brother is going to go to?

Yeah I know, "wE sAiD tHe sAmE tHiNg aBoUt Mark Antony Richards"... But this ain't that.

Tyler is as close to a 1,000% lock as there can be, he ain't going nowhere unless we drop him, which we won't.

Advertisement
Lmao, what other school you think JAQUAN JOHNSON's lil brother is going to go to?

Yeah I know, "wE sAiD tHe sAmE tHiNg aBoUt Mark Antony Richards"... But this ain't that.

Tyler is as close to a 1,000% lock as there can be, he ain't going nowhere unless we drop him, which we won't.

AR obviously expressed his feelings to his family. Who wouldn't be upset with the world in his situation? Which included my injury should've been handled this way or that with UM's questionable caretaker actions. MAR didn't want that negative energy around him. Now he can go be the next Nate Craig-Meyers for the patty cake Eagle. He could've been a FS at UM with his name called before the weekend.
You're 1000% right about JJ. That kid was, is, and always will be a die hard Cane. Tyler isn't going anywhere. We need LB's and he's primed to be one of the best in cycle.

I know fam. Strange things happen tho.
And yes he does feel like what they call “a Miami guy”. Mentality different with him.
Rivals are gonna go hard after the 20 and 21 dudes.
Like Tyson Campbell level and beyond.

Advertisement

@Liberty City El
What's your scouting report on him? Do you think Tyler Johnson could play LB for us or do you think that it's only a matter of time before he grows into a DE? Curious to get your input.

@Liberty City El
What's your scouting report on him? Do you think Tyler Johnson could play LB for us or do you think that it's only a matter of time before he grows into a DE? Curious to get your input.

Not LCE but I can tell you he looked natural at LB at Miami’s camp. The coaches see him at LB and believe he is one of the elite players in the state.

His season got cut short with a suspension. Don’t know the reason for sure but I think it was fighting. If he can control his temper, his upside is through the roof. Extremely twitchy.

Not LCE but I can tell you he looked natural at LB at Miami’s camp. The coaches see him at LB and believe he is one of the elite players in the state.

His season got cut short with a suspension. Don’t know the reason for sure but I think it was fighting. If he can control his temper, his upside is through the roof. Extremely twitchy.
What’s his height and weight right now?

Thanks @DMoney
I appreciate it. That's great to hear as I would like to see us begin to stack elite level talent at LB. Huff, Brooks, Cave, Hammett and Johnson would make for a formidable LB group.

Advertisement
Back