Class Impact: Keyshawn Smith to Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Last week, 2020 Lincoln (CA) WR Keyshawn Smith flipped from Washington State to Miami.

The 6-0, 170-pounder is currently a consensus 3-star in the national rankings. According to the 247Composite, Smith is the #784 player nationally, the #118 WR in the country, and the #68 player in California. Smith's commitment moves Miami up to the #17 overall class in the team rankings on 247Sports and #14 overall on Rivals.

The Player

Smith has had an intriguing recruitment, as he was an under the radar prospect most of the cycle without any Power 5 attention until Washington State offered him in October of his senior year in 2019. Tennessee jumped on board as well soon after, but Smith ended up committing to the Cougars to play in Mike Leach’s pass-happy air raid system, and he signed with WSU early in December. Things changed a month later when Leach took the HC job at Mississippi State, and Smith requested his release from his LOI. Miami recognized the opportunity and seized the moment after watching his senior film, as the fast-rising receiver had actually grown up a Hurricanes fan. After a Manny Diaz in-home visit last week, Smith committed to UM sight unseen, and he was able to enroll in time to start spring classes.

Smith is exactly the type of player you love to take a late flier on as the #4 receiver in your class, as his senior film is dripping with upside. Looks to have elite straight-line speed while also having the lateral agility to make defenders miss, which gives him the ability to be a home run threat every time he touches the ball. A natural pass catcher that understands body positioning and how to adjust his frame in the air, making him dangerous on contested catches. Fluid change of direction skills, and demonstrates he can stop on a dime and explode upfield quickly. Not just a go route deep threat, putting on display that he can run a diverse route tree and can be used in multiple ways – the out, the post, the curl, the double move, jailbreak screen. Physical enough to beat jams at the line. Versatile athlete that took snaps out of the wildcat at Lincoln and also returned kicks and punts, showing the propensity to set up his blocks well and make frequent house calls.

A track star as a sprinter and long/high jumper as well, Smith was highly productive in high school, averaging 17.6 ypc on 46 grabs as a senior, going for 808 receiving yards and 8 TD’s. He added 188 rushing yards (11.8 ypc) with 3 TD’s, as well as a TD pass, kick return TD, and punt return TD. Quite frankly, it’s hard to believe how he wasn’t more pursued in a hotbed state like California, and UM looks to have lucked into a steal here.

The Class

Smith was the 21st overall commit in the class and he is the fourth receiver in the class along with IMG Academy (FL) 4-star WR Michael Redding, Hewitt-Trussville (AL) 3-star WR Dazalin Worsham, and Deerfield Beach (FL) 3-star Xavier Restrepo. With UM having only 1-2 spots left in the class and nobody scheduled to visit on the final weekend before signing day, they are done at the position in Category20, but adding a grad transfer to the roster like former Michigan WR Tarik Black or someone similar remains a slight possibility.

The Team

Miami lost KJ Osborn to graduation, and Jeff Thomas has left early for the NFL. That leaves Miami with only 5 returning scholarship receivers; 3 of those (Mike Harley, Dee Wiggins, Mark Pope) have seen heavy playing time this season, and the staff loves Jeremiah Payton’s potential for next year and beyond.

None of Miami returnees at receiver have proven at this point that they can be the surefire #1 option week in and week out. So, while there doesn’t seem to be a ton of room in the rotation available, it feels as if at least one receiver from the 2020 class will be needed to provide depth right away, and a true transcendent talent that shows they are ready to play immediately could always emerge in camp or later down the line and become a starter. Along with his fellow receiver classmates in Redding, Worsham, and Restrepo, Smith has enrolled early, giving himself as good a shot as anyone to see the field in 2020; it should also be noted he has the slightest build of the four, so he needs the college weight room/nutrition plan the most.

Advertisement
He might be the best receiver in the class. Lacks the SPARQ upside of Redding, but his film is better than Redding's right now.

I think he's going to push the players ahead of him at the Z at minimum and he might take some jobs. I have no idea who found this kid, but he looks really really good to me.

Advertisement
He might be the best receiver in the class. Lacks the SPARQ upside of Redding, but his film is better than Redding's right now.

I think he's going to push the players ahead of him at the Z at minimum and he might take some jobs. I have no idea who found this kid, but he looks really really good to me.

Take IMG WR stats with a grain of salt.

Take IMG WR stats with a grain of salt.

Redding is a bit of a one trick pony right now. He was doing a lot of the same before he got to IMG, so you have an idea of what kind of prospect he is. He's a better prospect because he's got the upside, but Smith plays all over, also comes down with contested catches, and shows a little more right now to me. I was pleasantly surprised when this guy was the commit, after seeing his film. I might be a high man on him.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Redding is a bit of a one trick pony right now. He was doing a lot of the same before he got to IMG, so you have an idea of what kind of prospect he is. He's a better prospect because he's got the upside, but Smith plays all over, also comes down with contested catches, and shows a little more right now to me. I was pleasantly surprised when this guy was the commit, after seeing his film. I might be a high man on him.

I loved watching him play the last 2 years never in a million years did I think Miami would offer let alone let him commit considering the talent in Florida.

Advertisement
And people are selling Redding way too short...

Don't overthink it too much & get too caught up on believing WR is a scientist position, physical traits matter & Redding is a physically gifted freak with a college ready body from day 1 & is already on campus.

His upside is through the roof & you have to remember that in this style offense, it can take low rated 3-stars & have them putting up 1,000+ yard seasons.

This isn't the 2011 Dan Enox express anymore... Having a gifted physical freak with a 41inch vert & 4.5 40 in this system is not a bad thing, that boy is going to eat.

I don't necessarily agree with everything you said but Redding reminds me of Denzel Mims with his physical traits and style of play. Mims showed steady improvement on the nuances of the game - late hands, releases, footwork - and was one of the big winners last week at the Senior Bowl.

Redding has the work ethic so if we hire a WR coach who can actually coach (big if) he should follow a similar trajectory.

Congrats to the kid getting his fourth star by 24/7 sports. HE is a smooth, fluid athlete with straight-line speed. What sets him apart is in addition to the straight-line speed he has great change of direction which makes him deadly in the open field. He has good hands and creates plenty of separation. What stood out to me was that he has another gear once the ball is in the air. You can't coach that. He needs to add strength and muscle to his frame. This kid at 195lbs would be scary. Great addition to the receiver room as he is perfect for this offense.

And people are selling Redding way too short...

Don't overthink it too much & get too caught up on believing WR is a scientist position, physical traits matter & Redding is a physically gifted freak with a college ready body from day 1 & is already on campus.

His upside is through the roof & you have to remember that in this style offense, it can take low rated 3-stars & have them putting up 1,000+ yard seasons.

This isn't the 2011 Dan Enox express anymore... Having a gifted physical freak with a 41inch vert & 4.5 40 in this system is not a bad thing, that boy is going to eat.

Everyone thinks he's our WR1 in the class, man. I've said a few times that he fits the mold of what Lashlee runs as an X WR and could play this year. I didn't think he'd play this year with Enos, FWIW. But with Lashlee, he's an easy X WR and that position is wide open right now.

With that said..."physical traits matter"...ehhhh...a little, but there is a very low correlation to success using a player's physical traits. Lance has done a write up on it, I've made some posts on it. There are other better metrics to look at. Your margin of error shrinks, yeah...and I'm a proponent of getting more size at the position, but the fact he's a good athlete is cool, but its not the be all. I've made the comparison before...he's Josh Doctson.

Getting on the field early is about having a trump card...Redding has it, and with Lashlee, it can actually be utilized running 9s and going up and getting contested catches and making big plays downfield...but I wouldn't say anyone is selling him short, tbh.

I just really like this Smith kid. Was pleasantly surprised by his film. There are countless WRs of his type that are at minimum rock solid contributors in college football and become NFL draft picks. The fact that Mike Leach likes him tells me a lot...Leach doesn't like WRs that don't come in and do their f'n job and keep their mouth shut. That tells me this kid is going to come in and put in that work and improve the room quite a bit.

Advertisement
Back