Class Impact: Keyshawn Smith to Miami

And people are selling Redding way too short...

Don't overthink it too much & get too caught up on believing WR is a scientist position, physical traits matter & Redding is a physically gifted freak with a college ready body from day 1 & is already on campus.

His upside is through the roof & you have to remember that in this style offense, it can take low rated 3-stars & have them putting up 1,000+ yard seasons.

This isn't the 2011 Dan Enox express anymore... Having a gifted physical freak with a 41inch vert & 4.5 40 in this system is not a bad thing, that boy is going to eat.
I think Redding and Payton are the two Alphas we have in the WR room.

Advertisement
Redding is a bit of a one trick pony right now. He was doing a lot of the same before he got to IMG, so you have an idea of what kind of prospect he is. He's a better prospect because he's got the upside, but Smith plays all over, also comes down with contested catches, and shows a little more right now to me. I was pleasantly surprised when this guy was the commit, after seeing his film. I might be a high man on him.
Out of curiosity. Where was Redding prior to iMG

Everyone thinks he's our WR1 in the class, man. I've said a few times that he fits the mold of what Lashlee runs as an X WR and could play this year. I didn't think he'd play this year with Enos, FWIW. But with Lashlee, he's an easy X WR and that position is wide open right now.

With that said..."physical traits matter"...ehhhh...a little, but there is a very low correlation to success using a player's physical traits. Lance has done a write up on it, I've made some posts on it. There are other better metrics to look at. Your margin of error shrinks, yeah...and I'm a proponent of getting more size at the position, but the fact he's a good athlete is cool, but its not the be all. I've made the comparison before...he's Josh Doctson.

Getting on the field early is about having a trump card...Redding has it, and with Lashlee, it can actually be utilized running 9s and going up and getting contested catches and making big plays downfield...but I wouldn't say anyone is selling him short, tbh.

I just really like this Smith kid. Was pleasantly surprised by his film. There are countless WRs of his type that are at minimum rock solid contributors in college football and become NFL draft picks. The fact that Mike Leach likes him tells me a lot...Leach doesn't like WRs that don't come in and do their f'n job and keep their mouth shut. That tells me this kid is going to come in and put in that work and improve the room quite a bit.
I didn't say physical traits are the only thing that matters, I said they matter because they do.

But people on here love to get deep in the weeds & pretend playing WR is some advanced calculus position when it's not. If a complete psychopath like Antonio Brown can play WR & thrive at it, I can assure you it's not because he has a PH.D. in football science lol. He doesn't, he was a uber talented kid who's physical traits enhanced the technical nuances that kept him around for a long time, his speed & quick feet got him paid, not because he was a savant WR.

My point is that people have downplayed Redding a great deal because he's not out there running complicated routes as if he was asked to do that IMG when everybody knows IMG has an awful offense that doesn't throw the ball much & has to rotate players in every other play to keep everyone happy.

People make it harder than is has to be, Redding checks all the boxes you want in a college ready WR, he basically has the same physical make up of a guy like AJ Brown & if he's developed here he could have a similar ceiling. If you say he's Josh Doctson, that's great! Doctson was highly productive in Jarrett Anderson's offense, if Redding even gives us half of that kinda production then he was a success.

I'm a huge fan of Smith's game too, my comparisons for him is Marqise Lee, I think he'll be very good for us as well. My whole point with Redding was just that people are way overthinking it with him & disregarding that he has every tool necessary to be a very good WR, just because he didn't play in a super complex offense that didn't require a bunch of curls, digs, hitches, bang 8's, seams, corner routes etc doesn't mean he's incapable of running those routes nor does it mean that he won't be good in college.

A smart coach worth his weight in salt can figure out what to do with a kid that has his ability.

Advertisement
Kid is explosive. First year in track was as a senior and long jumped well over 22 feet. Ran the anchor leg on his schools 4x100 relay team.
I keep reading post like this claiming he's a track kid....did somebody run in his name or something? Where can I find those numbers that consider him a track kid? I'm not saying the kid doesn't have football speed....but these numbers don't line up with what everybody is saying about his speed...could his tape possibly be against weak comp or mop up duty? https://www.athletic.net/result/P8iWjnvUaiNRByril/

Last edited:
Advertisement
My whole point with Redding was just that people are way overthinking it with him & disregarding that he has every tool necessary to be a very good WR, just because he didn't play in a super complex offense that didn't require a bunch of curls, digs, hitches, bang 8's, seams, corner routes etc doesn't mean he's incapable of running those routes nor does it mean that he won't be good in college.

A smart coach worth his weight in salt can figure out what to do with a kid that has his ability.
I agree with all of this - Redding probably didn't have to run those routes at IMG or West FL, but he's likely played at enough camps, 7-on-7's, and even at the UA Game against competition where he's probably had to do some of those things, and do them well. Otherwise, he wouldn't be as highly rated and would have probably been classified as a project. Instead, he's a 4* kid and our highest rated WR coming in the class.

It's funny - people expect 2* safeties to be the next Ed Reed, and some of those same folks expect 4/5* WRs to end up like Ryan Moore or Lance Leggett. 😂😂😂

I agree with all of this - Redding probably didn't have to run those routes at IMG or West FL, but he's likely played at enough camps, 7-on-7's, and even at the UA Game against competition where he's probably had to do some of those things, and do them well. Otherwise, he wouldn't be as highly rated and would have probably been classified as a project. Instead, he's a 4* kid and our highest rated WR coming in the class.

It's funny - people expect 2* safeties to be the next Ed Reed, and some of those same folks expect 4/5* WRs to end up like Ryan Moore or Lance Leggett. 😂😂😂

Literally nobody expects that on this ridiculous board. It's the exact opposite.

The lower ranked kids are laughed at and used as examples of why the staff sucks. The highly rated kids are given Heisman trophies before they enroll.

Literally nobody expects that on this ridiculous board. It's the exact opposite.

The lower ranked kids are laughed at and used as examples of why the staff sucks. The highly rated kids are given Heisman trophies before they enroll.
In fairness, I've seen both throughout the years (and not just on this board, either). Different posters end up with different hot takes just to be different, rationale and facts be damned...lol

Advertisement
This late pickup may be another indictment on USC football. It seems that not only are the Big Time players shying away, but so are the 3 star rated players. I can't understand why they would not offer this kid especially when they have at least 11 scholly's to hand out.

This is how it looks win Blue-Blood programs fall into decline. Well it's their problem not ours.

I didn't say physical traits are the only thing that matters, I said they matter because they do.

But people on here love to get deep in the weeds & pretend playing WR is some advanced calculus position when it's not. If a complete psychopath like Antonio Brown can play WR & thrive at it, I can assure you it's not because he has a PH.D. in football science lol. He doesn't, he was a uber talented kid who's physical traits enhanced the technical nuances that kept him around for a long time, his speed & quick feet got him paid, not because he was a savant WR.

My point is that people have downplayed Redding a great deal because he's not out there running complicated routes as if he was asked to do that IMG when everybody knows IMG has an awful offense that doesn't throw the ball much & has to rotate players in every other play to keep everyone happy.

People make it harder than is has to be, Redding checks all the boxes you want in a college ready WR, he basically has the same physical make up of a guy like AJ Brown & if he's developed here he could have a similar ceiling. If you say he's Josh Doctson, that's great! Doctson was highly productive in Jarrett Anderson's offense, if Redding even gives us half of that kinda production then he was a success.

I'm a huge fan of Smith's game too, my comparisons for him is Marqise Lee, I think he'll be very good for us as well. My whole point with Redding was just that people are way overthinking it with him & disregarding that he has every tool necessary to be a very good WR, just because he didn't play in a super complex offense that didn't require a bunch of curls, digs, hitches, bang 8's, seams, corner routes etc doesn't mean he's incapable of running those routes nor does it mean that he won't be good in college.

Excellent post sir.

Advertisement
He might be the best receiver in the class. Lacks the SPARQ upside of Redding, but his film is better than Redding's right now.

I think he's going to push the players ahead of him at the Z at minimum and he might take some jobs. I have no idea who found this kid, but he looks really really good to me.
I'm here to collect...

pete-carroll.gif

Advertisement
Back