Class Impact: Keshawn Washington to Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 South Dade S Keshawn Washington made his return to the class on Sunday during his Junior Day visit to Miami.

The 6-2 175 pounder is currently a 4-star in the national rankings. According to the 247Sports Composite, Washington is the #295 player nationally, #23 S in the country, and the #42 player in the Sunshine State. His commitment raises Category20 to the #2 class ranking on 247Sports and #3 on Rivals.

The Player

This is Washington’s second commitment to UM and he originally committed to Miami back in July just before Paradise Camp, being the second of his teammates (Jaiden Francois and Jonathan Denis) to commit to Miami in rapid succession within hours of each other. After Manny Diaz’s departure for Temple in December, Washington opened things back up to take a look at a growing list of suitors, which included Auburn, FSU, Georgia, Oregon, and Penn State. Washington had been hinting about a recommitment to Miami in recent days, and finally rejoined the fold yesterday at Junior Day after a good visit to campus.

The 6’2” 175 pound prospect is likely to play striker linebacker at Miami and has the exact frame that could grow into a force at the position, although his ball skills give him a shot to stick at safety as well. What stands out immediately on Washington’s tape is ability to make a play on the football. The South Dade star is able to track the ball in the air like a hawk, high point it, and come down with it almost like a receiver. He’d make a great center fielder in the middle of a defense and Manny Diaz loves to use those types in single-high coverages. He demonstrates some great range and is able to cover a lot of ground quickly. Washington is the type of player that can be moved all over the field and his versatility allows for a lot of flexibility in the amount of looks you can throw at an offense. Despite his slight frame, Washington isn’t afraid to come up into the box and make a hit either.

At Paradise Camp, I got a first-hand look at Washington. Some might compare him to Diamante Howard and I could see that based on their body types, as well as lacking in long speed; however, Washington has much better short-area quickness. Another attribute that comes across in Washington’s game is his instincts and how he seems to recognize a play and react quickly based on what he’s seeing. I really liked how he knew exactly where to be to make a play and was already in motion to break things up a split second before the route was completely clear or the ball was even in the air. He could really shine in coverage as a striker in blanketing TE’s and RB’s and plays with great anticipation.

The Class

Washington’s commitment brought the total class numbers to 11 (at the time) and he is the third safety commit in Category20, joining along with Rockledge (FL) 3-star Ladarius Tennison and Amite (LA) 3-star Daran Branch. It’s safe to say at this point that by taking Washington’s commitment, UM is going to be moving either Washington or Branch to striker linebacker, as Miami is going to push for other safeties and taking 4 guys at that spot in this cycle is unlikely. I’ve always viewed Washington as a striker in Miami’s defense, and many have projected Washington to outgrow DB for a while now, so we’ll focus on this analysis of the class with that outlook in mind. He would be the first take at linebacker so far in the class.

At the top of the board at LB, Miami continues to push hard for 4-star STA linebacker Derek Wingo despite his commitment to Penn State. While I’ve been told by a source at St. Thomas a flip to UM is unlikely and Wingo is destined to leave the state, Wingo has clearly taken his game to the next level in the past year and UM has recognized that by giving him plenty of attention. Another in-state target has been Largo (FL) 4-star Jayion McCluster, the cousin of NFL player Dexter McCluster. He visited Miami this past weekend for junior day and the Canes made a move here by all reports. Many have seen him as a heavy FSU-lean in the past, and he has not been shy about talking up the Noles, but UM will likely make his top group when he makes it public and are certainly in the game here.

Outside of Florida, after a long flirtation, Miami finally got Woodbridge (VA) 5-star Antoine Sampah on campus this past weekend. While some see him as a long shot, and that’s probably the case, Sampah has been a big fan of Miami since childhood and originally reached out to UM for his offer. Now that his teammate RJ Adams has an offer and is showing heavy interest in the Canes, Sampah is going to be one to keep an eye on to see if UM can continue to develop their relationship with the star linebacker. A guy that has really risen on UM’s linebacker board lately is Camden (NJ) 3-star Tirek Austin-Cave. Miami offered last month and have kept in touch with Austin-Cave, who is very high on the Canes right now. Syracuse, Maryland, and West Virginia are some of the main contenders here, but UM has a great chance of landing Austin-Cave if they continue to push and he is working on setting up a summer visit to campus. The Canes also recently offered North Shore (TX) 3-star Corey Flagg, but it's still too early to say how much Miami will be involved with the out of state talent.

Technically, UM remains involved with Upland (CA) LB Justin Flowe and Garfield (WA) LB Sav'ell Smalls, but the out of state 5-stars have yet to truly reciprocate that interest with a visit to campus and can't be taken seriously as options until that happens.

The Team

By the time Washington hits campus in 2020, Miami will have six total linebackers already on the roster, with two returning strikers. With both Zach McCloud and Romeo Finley set to graduate, there will be plenty of playing time available for Washington and others to soak up. Gilbert Frierson is currently being groomed for a starting role at striker in 2020, and De’Andre Wilder was also working at the spot before his neck injury left his playing career up in the air. There’s a chance we see current summer enrollee Avery Huff start out at the position as well when he arrives. That seems like a solid group, especially if Huff develops as expected.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Washington used in nickel/dime situations as a freshman to get his feet wet, but if he is being pegged for striker, he’s going to have to start putting on more weight to see the field early. Coming in for spring ball would really benefit a kid like him to get him in a proper nutrition and S&C program. With his ability to play multiple positions, there is a role for a talent like Washington in this defense somewhere and he can be an impact player by the time he’s an upperclassman.

Last edited:
Advertisement
2020 South Dade S Keshawn Washington made his return to the class on Sunday during his Junior Day visit to Miami.

The 6-2 175 pounder is currently a 4-star in the national rankings. According to the 247Sports Composite, Washington is the #295 player nationally, #23 S in the country, and the #42 player in the Sunshine State. His commitment raises Category20 to the #2 class ranking on 247Sports and #3 on Rivals.

The Player

This is Washington’s second commitment to UM and he originally committed to Miami back in July just before Paradise Camp, being the second of his teammates (Jaiden Francois and Jonathan Denis) to commit to Miami in rapid succession within hours of each other. After Manny Diaz’s departure for Temple in December, Washington opened things back up to take a look at a growing list of suitors, which included Auburn, FSU, Georgia, Oregon, and Penn State. Washington had been hinting about a recommitment to Miami in recent days, and finally rejoined the fold yesterday at Junior Day after a good visit to campus.

The 6’2” 175 pound prospect is likely to play striker linebacker at Miami and has the exact frame that could grow into a force at the position, although his ball skills give him a shot to stick at safety as well. What stands out immediately on Washington’s tape is ability to make a play on the football. The South Dade star is able to track the ball in the air like a hawk, high point it, and come down with it almost like a receiver. He’d make a great center fielder in the middle of a defense and Manny Diaz loves to use those types in single-high coverages. He demonstrates some great range and is able to cover a lot of ground quickly. Washington is the type of player that can be moved all over the field and his versatility allows for a lot of flexibility in the amount of looks you can throw at an offense. Despite his slight frame, Washington isn’t afraid to come up into the box and make a hit either.

At Paradise Camp, I got a first-hand look at Washington. Some might compare him to Diamante Howard and I could see that based on their body types, as well as lacking in long speed; however, Washington has much better short-area quickness. Another attribute that comes across in Washington’s game is his instincts and how he seems to recognize a play and react quickly based on what he’s seeing. I really liked how he knew exactly where to be to make a play and was already in motion to break things up a split second before the route was completely clear or the ball was even in the air. He could really shine in coverage as a striker in blanketing TE’s and RB’s and plays with great anticipation.

The Class

Washington’s commitment brought the total class numbers to 11 (at the time) and he is the third safety commit in Category20, joining along with Rockledge (FL) 3-star Ladarius Tennison and Amite (LA) 3-star Daran Branch. It’s safe to say at this point that by taking Washington’s commitment, UM is going to be moving either Washington or Branch to striker linebacker, as Miami is going to push for other safeties and taking 4 guys at that spot in this cycle is unlikely. I’ve always viewed Washington as a striker in Miami’s defense, and many have projected Washington to outgrow DB for a while now, so we’ll focus on this analysis of the class with that outlook in mind.

At the top of the board at LB, Miami continues to push hard for 4-star STA linebacker Derek Wingo despite his commitment to Penn State. While I’ve been told by a source at St. Thomas a flip to UM is unlikely and Wingo is destined to leave the state, Wingo has clearly taken his game to the next level in the past year and UM has recognized that by giving him plenty of attention. Another in-state target has been Largo (FL) 4-star Jayion McCluster, the cousin of NFL player Dexter McCluster. He visited Miami this past weekend for junior day and the Canes made a move here by all reports. Many have seen him as a heavy FSU-lean in the past, and he has not been shy about talking up the Noles, but UM will likely make his top group when he makes it public and are certainly in the game here.

Outside of Florida, after a long flirtation, Miami finally got Woodbridge (VA) 5-star Antoine Sampah on campus this past weekend. While some see him as a long shot, and that’s probably the case, Sampah has been a big fan of Miami since childhood and originally reached out to UM for his offer. Now that his teammate RJ Adams has an offer and is showing heavy interest in the Canes, Sampah is going to be one to keep an eye on to see if UM can continue to develop their relationship with the star linebacker. A guy that has really risen on UM’s linebacker board lately is Camden (NJ) 3-star Tirek Austin-Cave. Miami offered last month and have kept in touch with Austin-Cave, who is very high on the Canes right now. Syracuse, Maryland, and West Virginia are some of the main contenders here, but UM has a great chance of landing Austin-Cave if they continue to push and he is working on setting up a summer visit to campus. The Canes also recently offered North Shore (TX) 3-star Corey Flagg, but it's still too early to say how much Miami will be involved with the out of state talent.

Technically, UM remains involved with Justin Flowe and Sav'ell Smalls, but the out of state 5-stars have yet to truly reciprocate that interest with a visit to campus and can't be taken seriously as options until that happens.

The Team

By the time Washington hits campus in 2020, Miami will have six total linebackers already on the roster, with two returning strikers. With both Zach McCloud and Romeo Finley set to graduate, there will be plenty of playing time available for Washington and others to soak up. Gilbert Frierson is currently being groomed for a starting role at striker in 2020, and De’Andre Wilder was also working at the spot before his neck injury left his playing career up in the air. There’s a chance we see current summer enrollee Avery Huff start out at the position as well when he arrives. That seems like a solid group, especially if Huff develops as expected.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Washington used in nickel/dime situations as a freshman to get his feet wet, but if he is being pegged for striker, he’s going to have to start putting on more weight to see the field early. Coming in for spring ball would really benefit a kid like him to get him in a proper nutrition and S&C program. With his ability to play multiple positions, there is a role for a talent like Washington in this defense somewhere and he can be an impact player by the time he’s an upperclassman.

I know Huff is a great athlete but do u think he will eventually outgrow the striker position and end up a wlb or mlb? I’ve never seen him in person but he looks like he’s gonna be 230+

I know Huff is a great athlete but do u think he will eventually outgrow the striker position and end up a wlb or mlb? I’ve never seen him in person but he looks like he’s gonna be 230+

He certainly has the frame for it. A lot will depend on how his body responds to the S&C/nutrition program his first year. Regardless, there will be a ton of playing time open at LB in general in 2020 and he will definitely be in the conversation to start somewhere

Advertisement
Any 4* kid that can play 3 positions, all of which are a need, is a player we need to sign and utilize. Also looking forward to Huff’s arrival over the Summer to see what kind of shape he comes in at, and how fast he puts weight on. That kid is going to be a player for us for sure.

Advertisement
I hope Washington just had off days in his combine testing and in his track and field meet as the results were rather mediocre .

A 25.22 at 200 meters is slow for a 177 pound DB and the short shuttle at 4.69 in combine testing. No wonder he did not run the 40 at the combine it would have been slow. Is this another Joshua Sanguinetti?

Look at the graph on the ESPN Combine Results- He had the worst vertical and almost the worst short shuttle.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It looks like LSU is the favorite now for a 4* DB that just decommitted from Texas A&M. I would think he’s ahead of Branch on their board too

A 25.22 at 200 meters is slow for a 177 pound DB and the short shuttle at 4.69 in combine testing. No wonder he did not run the 40 at the combine it would have been slow. Is this another Joshua Sanguinetti?

Look at the graph on the ESPN Combine Results- He had the worst vertical and almost the worst short shuttle.

Watch out people don’t want to see facts.

Washington has very similar numbers to Rob Knowles... and Branch is in the same mold.

Advertisement

I hope Washington just had off days in his combine testing and in his track and field meet as the results were rather mediocre .

So what!

I was really impressed with him at paradise with his size and range. He didn’t have the season I was expecting coming off that but still has his senior year to go now. I don’t think those times you guys pulled up tell the whole story off what I saw up close. He just needs to get in the weight room, striker is perfect for him.

Advertisement
Back