Class Impact: Justin Hodges to Miami

View as article
Advertisement
100% his speed. There’s some kids that run slow and you go back to watch their tape and they seem faster than what they run. I didn’t see that here. He moves slow and struggles to recover when beat because of it. Highlights are great but I didn’t see one great fast reciever that he went up against and dominated in those highlights. In college he will see those all the time.

Doesn't "struggle to recover" at all...Recovery is a strength of his actually. And length forgives a lot of sins

Advertisement
Advertisement
The speed thing is still a big question, especially when it come to division 1 ball and the many speedy WRs there. The Combine shows is 40 speed at almost 4.9 (4.89). Many went after Joshua Sanguinetti when he recorded a 4.86 at his combine.

It was posted on another site his coach said he has been running track this year. That is good to hear as he is not a rank beginner when running the sprints.

The draw back there is that in track this year at Western High his best 100 meters in almost 12 seconds (11.99)
https://fl.milesplit.com/athletes/pro/8645432/stats

He is not a freshman or even a sophomore, I assume him to be about appropriate grade level age) where one can expect those times to fall with maturity as they almost always do in that age developmental stage.

Given the official times in the 40m and 100m it definitely appears he does not have long or intermediate speed.

He cannot be left on an island or near island with most any division one WR. Special packages will have to be developed for him in cover schemes, etc. Technique and use of hands, arm length, etc. is great to have in ones ****nal but a basic amount of pure raw speed for the position is necessary as one is not always going to be in perfect position, utilize perfect technique, perfect hand use, etc.

Developing speed is much harder than strength. If it were as easy as some suggest then teams would get guys with heart, determination, toughness and make them all 4.5-40 or 11.0 100 meter sprinters.

My intentions are not to be negative, but question certain abilities based on actual facts, not personal emotions or what one reads into game films, etc.
Good post. I most certainly see your point. If that 40 time is accurate then that really puts him at a disadvantage in most any one on one coverage situation. The only thing I can reasonably come up with to justify taking a commitment from a CB with 4.9 speed is that the coaches expect Hodges to gain 40-50 lbs and be a Striker. Another thing that strikes me as just strange is the fact that South Florida is known for its fast DBs and here we are taking a CB with a 4.9 40 lol. We'll see.

Good post. I most certainly see your point. If that 40 time is accurate then that really puts him at a disadvantage in most any one on one coverage situation. The only thing I can reasonably come up with to justify taking a commitment from a CB with 4.9 speed is that the coaches expect Hodges to gain 40-50 lbs and be a Striker. Another thing that strikes me as just strange is the fact that South Florida is known for its fast DBs and here we are taking a CB with a 4.9 40 lol. We'll see.
What happened to those fast DBs in South Florida? because they're all running 4.8s

Nah he’s a corner. In fact we have taken 3 guys listed as corners in he, Francois, and branch and he’s the only one the coaches will actually keep there with the other two moving to safety and striker respectively. A source told Ivins that since he’s never ran track or lifted any weights Rumph feels Feeley can get him faster. The source also said that the feeling is that if he gets faster he’s got Henderson potential.

Advertisement
I feel like this is the inverse of Damarius Good.... He was an early commit, never really played corner, but had blazing speed and we took a shot, here we have a kid who understands how to play corner but speed is currently lacking, and likewise is an early commit. If he has a good senior year, and gets his speed up then great, if not, both parties likely move on.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back