Class Impact: Denzel Daxon Exits

Just to recap Coach Kool the best dline coach in college football hands down for the last decade thought Denzel Daxon was take and could be coached up. But Coach Simpson feels Daxon is not worth the effort of keeping him in the class an coaching him up, yeah okay! Oh and by the way Daxon is 0 or 1 tech all day who's main job is to be able to stand up double teams an collapse the pocket, which requires being relatively quick off the ball and being hellah strong both which he is.

You don't replace a 0-Tech with a 3-Tech, so in order to take Holley's commitment who is a natural 1-tech that can play the 3-tech spot Coach Simpson had to make room. Holley is very good but I am with Coach Kool in seeing Daxon as having a higher ceiling, it would have been nice to keep both players.

Go Canes[/QUOTE
Ok Corch...

Advertisement
Too small. I like Kancey as well but he isn't a scheme fit here...he was to small when they saw him in person

So Kancey is too small...but Daxon is too big and slow? Not questioning you as much as i am Simpson.

So Kancey is too small...but Daxon is too big and slow? Not questioning you as much as i am Simpson.

Yea im thinking thats what it was, and im a fan of both prospects. Daxon had a good game last yr against Central..Central routinely has the best ol in dade. He's a raw player but has skills. But im guessing they arent really in search of a true 1 tech in this class after getting Miller and Nesta last year.

Yea im thinking thats what it was, and im a fan of both prospects. Daxon had a good game last yr against Central..Central routinely has the best ol in dade. He's a raw player but has skills. But im guessing they arent really in search of a true 1 tech in this class after getting Miller and Nesta last year.

Ya and I'm guessing that combined with the aforementioned not showing up a couple times...One guy on another board, a recruiting guy, said he's a "bad body" kid to begin with...so who knows how serious he's taken his offseason (and that's just speculation don't want to trash the kid)

It is worth noting though, that Diaz described Silvera as a "big, disruptive 3 tech" on signing day last year.

Ya and I'm guessing that combined with the aforementioned not showing up a couple times...One guy on another board, a recruiting guy, said he's a "bad body" kid to begin with...so who knows how serious he's taken his offseason (and that's just speculation don't want to trash the kid)

It is worth noting though, that Diaz described Silvera as a "big, disruptive 3 tech" on signing day last year.

Nesta's get off is as good as a DE.

With Malcolm Ray and Anaele and whomever else Carol City has i expect that DL to be vicious. Yea Daxon is a kid new to football, weightroom etc. He's very strong though and Tunsil has those guys going to the gym based off of twitter. Interesting to see where he heads to from here

Advertisement
horseshyt

we have one of the most talented d-lines in the country.

That isn't true at all.

iDL -
4* - Bethel, Silvera
3* - Martin, Ford, Miller
EDGE -
4* - Jackson, Garvin
3* - Jackson, Patchan, Rousseau, Joyner

This is what was left from the 14-18 classes...four 4* players, seven 3* players.

Go ahead and compare that to any of the really talented D-Lines (Alabama, OSU, Clemson, among others) in the country and quickly realize that the numbers and blue chip ratio isn't even in the same discussion.

Also, quickly realize that last year, starters...Thomas, McIntosh, Norton, and fan favorite/heavy rotation player Trent Harris went R3, R5, R7, and UDFA respectively.

Due to the lack of numbers in recruiting...we've had to get transfers like Gerald Willis (former high 4*, now a senior, with a career 5.5 TFL 1.5 Sacks) and Tito Odenigbo (former 3*, rotation iDL for Illinois with a career 7.5 TFL).

If you think that unit is "one of the best in the nation" you need to go check out some other DL and take a look at what they've got on their roster. Its just not.

That isn't true at all.

iDL -
4* - Bethel, Silvera
EDGE -
4* - Jackson, Garvin

This is what was left from the 14-18 classes...four 4* players, seven 3* players.

Go ahead and compare that to any of the really talented D-Lines (Alabama, OSU, Clemson, among others) in the country and quickly realize that the numbers and blue chip ratio isn't even in the same discussion.

Also, quickly realize that last year, starters...Thomas, McIntosh, Norton, and fan favorite/heavy rotation player Trent Harris went R3, R5, R7, and UDFA respectively.

Due to the lack of numbers in recruiting...we've had to get transfers like Gerald Willis (former high 4*, now a senior, with a career 5.5 TFL 1.5 Sacks) and Tito Odenigbo (former 3*, rotation iDL for Illinois with a career 7.5 TFL).

If you think that unit is "one of the best in the nation" you need to go check out some other DL and take a look at what they've got on their roster. Its just not.

**** we'll see a real good 1st game of the season

Defensive Line is an arms race...and Miami is currently outmanned and doesn't have the firepower to compete with the elites. Numbers and talent are lacking.

As I said in another thread...if the Canes end up with 4-5 interior DL players, I guess I'm fine with Daxon going elsewhere. But, if we end up with some pity number like three (say Ingraham, Munoz, Holley) its an incredible fail in an important year at the position.

Another drama queen. Three DTs this class is fine. Ingraham, Munoz, and Holley are all solid prospects. And we got two good ones last year in Silvera and Miller.

I'd love to get a highly-rated guy like Davis and if it's him or a similar talent, we certainly could take four. But you're way overstating things. We've already got four D lineman committed for '19 and we're going to add a few more. Simpson himself has said he wants to load up on DL this class.

Last edited:
Another drama queen. Three DTs this class is fine. Ingraham, Munoz, and Holley are all solid prospects. And we got two good ones last year in Silvera and Miller.

I'd love to get a highly-rated guy like Davis and if it's him or a similar talent, we certainly could take four. But you're way overstating things. We've already got four D lineman committed for '19 and we're going to add a few more. Simpson himself has said he wants to load up on DL this class.

Going into next season with three 4* and four 3* interior defensive linemen is not really good, but if you think so...cool.

Last edited:
Advertisement
That isn't true at all.

iDL -
4* - Bethel, Silvera
EDGE -
4* - Jackson, Garvin

Watch how they produce this year, they will once again produce just as much as the other elite defensive lines have just like Miami’s group has for the last 2 years.

End
Joe jackson
Jon garvin
Djack
Patchan
Rousseau
3Joyner

Dt
Willis
Bethel
jon ford
Nesta silvera
Jordan miller

It seems obvious to me that the staff moved on from Daxon a long while back. Whether it’s right or not time will tell. But it isn’t ‘news,’ IMO. And it isn’t like Alabama and Clemson are fighting over him. I can’t judge simpson on this — he needs to sign a full class and we’ll see how he eyes talent.

Folks claiming Daxon is a Kul special, imo I don’t agree. He was a kid they got on early on potential. Doesn’t seem like he’s become what they hoped. I suspect Kul won’t try to bring him to Alabama. And Kul isn’t perfect.

The homerism around here re DL is over the top, btw. If you want to see what a top DL looks like, look at Clemson. Or Alabama. We’re rebuilding. We ain’t at their level yet in terms of overall line talent, depth or maturity. And we haven’t been the past two years, either It’s not being negative to state the obvious.

Advertisement
That's his guardian ..he lives with him. And yes Valentine was his relative and lived with him as well. Roussea was his guy as well.
Didn’t realize Tunsil handled Rousseau as well. I hated how that Valentine recruitment went down and blamed him. But Rousseau was super solid throughout, so maybe that’s on the Valentine and not Tunsil. I don’t know. Will defer to your first hand knowledge of the situation.

Watch how they produce this year, they will once again produce just as much as the other elite defensive lines have just like Miami’s group has for the last 2 years.

End
Joe jackson
Jon garvin
Djack
Patchan
Rousseau
3Joyner

Dt
Willis
Bethel
jon ford
Nesta silvera
Jordan miller

43rd in the nation against the run in 2017, 26th in 2016.
75th in Opp. 3rd Down Conversion Rate in 2017, 53rd in 2016.
89th in first downs allowed via the run in 2017, 42nd in 2016.
106th in the red zone in 2017, 33rd in 2016.

Tackles for loss and sacks are great, don't get me wrong...but elite? Stop.

The homerism around here re DL is over the top, btw. If you want to see what a top DL looks like, look at Clemson. Or Alabama. We’re rebuilding. We ain’t at their level yet in terms of overall line talent, depth or maturity. And we haven’t been the past two years, either It’s not being negative to state the obvious.

To be fair, I don't think most here are claiming our DL is on the same level as that or Clemson or Alabama at this time. Most are merely pointing out that we already have four quality DL committed and we will add a few more in this class. To get hysterical at this point in the cycle is absurd. We've got some talented young DL in the program (Garvin, Silver, Rousseau, Miller, Ford) and we're bringing in a big class in '19.

We're getting there. The talent level is improving all across the roster.

Advertisement
43rd in the nation against the run in 2017, 26th in 2016.
75th in Opp. 3rd Down Conversion Rate in 2017, 53rd in 2016.
89th in first downs allowed via the run in 2017, 42nd in 2016.
106th in the red zone in 2017, 33rd in 2016.

Tackles for loss and sacks are great, don't get me wrong...but elite? Stop.

Pick and chose to fit your narrative I get It
F49D5540-F22E-49EC-9547-FEA1D68448F0.jpeg

Will Miami’s dline be very productive once again this year yes or no?

Miami’s dline was still widely regarded as one of the best in college football the last 2 years idont get where this narrative is coming from that they wasn’t....

Last edited:

Probably snag 4 DT’s and either move Martin to DE and tell him to find another school.

Pick and chose to fit your narrative I get It
View attachment 62179

Will Miami’s dline be very productive once again this year yes or no?

Miami’s dline was still widely regarded as one of the best in college football the last 2 years idont get where this narrative is coming from that they wasn’t....

Seems you're doing the same thing. But, we aren't elite.

The counting stats are nice...sure...but more important numbers show a defense, namely pointing to the DLine that was average against the run at best, but also struggled getting off the field in part because they couldn't stop the run. Terrible third down and red zone defense, in part, again, because they couldn't stop the run.

So, will Miami's defense (or defensive line) be elite in 2018? No. Were they in 2017? No. 2016? No. They were very good overall, but there are some very key numbers that tell a much better story of what our defense really was all about, and it wasn't TFL and Sacks and INTs...all were great, no denying it, but when push comes to shove, they can't get off the field and struggle to stop the run when it matters. Thats not an elite defense by any measure.

As for this year coming up...

The team lost three starters and one major contributor...its likely Miami is going to give a ton of snaps to at least five first or second year players and will rely on two upperclassmen that have never come close to the number of snaps they will see this year. No, they won't be an elite DL. I think we're still going to struggle against the run, struggle on third down and in the red zone. Hopefully we'll see a little improvement, but I think scheme and the loss of four major pieces on the DL limit what kind of upside the unit has in 2018. I think having a DL that will have such a huge number of players playing significantly more snaps than they've ever played at this level will result in a defense that declines later in the year, as well.

Will Miami have a ton TFL, probably sacks...but thats in part due to scheme...Diaz defense have always had those...INTs? Those are a luck based stat that aren't often consistent year-to-year...we won't have 17 INTs again. I would split the difference between 2017 and 2016 for a safe number (12-13ish).

Book mark this post...we'll revisit after Thanksgiving.

Seems you're doing the same thing. But, we aren't elite.

The counting stats are nice...sure...but more important numbers show a defense, namely pointing to the DLine that was average against the run at best, but also struggled getting off the field in part because they couldn't stop the run. Terrible third down and red zone defense, in part, again, because they couldn't stop the run.

So, will Miami's defense (or defensive line) be elite in 2018? No. Were they in 2017? No. 2016? No. They were very good overall, but there are some very key numbers that tell a much better story of what our defense really was all about, and it wasn't TFL and Sacks and INTs...all were great, no denying it, but when push comes to shove, they can't get off the field and struggle to stop the run when it matters. Thats not an elite defense by any measure.

As for this year coming up...

The team lost three starters and one major contributor...its likely Miami is going to give a ton of snaps to at least five first or second year players and will rely on two upperclassmen that have never come close to the number of snaps they will see this year. No, they won't be an elite DL. I think we're still going to struggle against the run, struggle on third down and in the red zone. Hopefully we'll see a little improvement, but I think scheme and the loss of four major pieces on the DL limit what kind of upside the unit has in 2018. I think having a DL that will have such a huge number of players playing significantly more snaps than they've ever played at this level will result in a defense that declines later in the year, as well.

Will Miami have a ton TFL, probably sacks...but thats in part due to scheme...Diaz defense have always had those...INTs? Those are a luck based stat that aren't often consistent year-to-year...we won't have 17 INTs again. I would split the difference between 2017 and 2016 for a safe number (12-13ish).

Book mark this post...we'll revisit after Thanksgiving.
We surely will revisit this

Advertisement
Back