Class Impact: Corey Flagg to Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 North Shore (TX) LB Corey Flagg committed to the Hurricanes late last night.

The 5-10 225 pounder is currently a consensus 3-star in the national rankings. According to the 247Sports Composite, Flagg is the #838 player nationally, #34 ILB in the country, and the #112 player in Texas. His commitment keeps Category20 at the #6 class ranking on 247Sports and moves UM up to #4 on Rivals.

The Player

Flagg’s Miami recruitment lasted about 3 months, as he received his UM offer back in mid-March. Oklahoma State was an early leader for Flagg, but Miami did a great job here identifying a prospect they liked at a position of need and quickly convincing him UM was the best place for him on his official visit.

As a captain and defensive leader for defending Texas Class 6A state champion North Shore, he comes from a winning program and has ingrained within him a championship mindset and work ethic that he can bring to practice and workouts day in and day out. During Flagg's junior year of high school, he was highly productive and recorded massive numbers in one of Texas football’s toughest divisions, tallying 144 tackles, 33 TFL, 4 sacks, and 5 forced fumbles in 2018. He landed on first team All-District and second team All-State for his efforts. He also won LB MVP at a loaded Opening Houston Regional in March as well.

Let’s just get this out of the way: at 5-10 and clocked at a 4.92 40 time (both recorded at the Houston Opening Regional), Flagg does not have ideal measurables. However, he plays much faster than his timed speed on film and demonstrates good short area quickness with a 4.40 shuttle. Shows fantastic ability in pass coverage and has no problem sticking with a variety of tight ends down the middle of the field and running backs in the flats, being able to read the QB and sniff out routes as they develop. He's an aggressive presence that loves knifing into the backfield and disrupting the offense before they can even get going. Plays with a ton of energy, twitch, and explosion and is a sure tackler in the open field. Great fit in the middle of a Manny Diaz defense in that he is operating with a high-level football IQ and displays terrific instincts.

The Class

Flagg’s commitment brings the total class numbers to 16 and he is the second true linebacker commit in Category20 along with Largo (FL) 3-star AJ Mathis. Safety commitments Amite (LA) 3-star Daran Branch and South Dade (FL) 3-star Keshawn Washington have the potential to move down to striker linebacker at the next level as well. As we’ve been reporting, Miami is looking to take 4 true linebackers in this class, so there’s still work to be done at the position.

With Dublin (GA) 3-star Romello Height now likely to end up at DE, the Canes have a pretty clear top 2 on their LB board right now. At the top, Miami continues to push hard for Upland (CA) 5-star Justin Flowe. Program sources indicate that the interest coming from Flowe is rising and that he is higher on the Canes than many are reporting right now. To give themselves the best possible chance to land this California stud, though, the Canes are going to have to win in 2018 to give Manny Diaz proof of concept.

The second prospect in the top tier of the LB board is Camden (NJ) 3-star Tirek Austin-Cave, who took an official visit to UM two weekends back. A few different sources felt Miami absolutely knocked it out of the park with Austin-Cave, more so than the typical OV. He was the only official visitor, so he really got the red-carpet treatment. One source directly involved with the visit felt that he would be "shocked" if Austin-Cave didn't end up at Miami.

As such, Miami is really pushing him for a commitment and to shut things down. Austin-Cave took his second OV to West Virginia last weekend, and is going to take his third and final official to Minnesota this week before sitting down with his family to make a decision. The sources feel Miami has moved into the lead and I put in a Miami pick for him late last week. You have to like the spot Miami is in right now.

Despite his commitment to Maryland, McArthur (FL) 3-star Ruben Hyppolite continues to flirt with Miami and visited campus over the weekend. Miami is treating him like a priority right now, and Hyppolite is planning OV’s to Maryland, Penn State, Alabama, and Miami during the fall. Another intriguing name Miami is beginning to pursue is Dr. Phillips (FL) 4-star Stephen Dix, who is also an FSU commit. Dix received his offer late last month and UM is hoping to bring him in for a visit soon.

Pahokee (FL) 3-star Latarie Kinsler is a guy that Miami has been on for some time now and has strong interest in Miami, although I believe the aforementioned names to be higher on the board right now. He is set to take his first OV to Syracuse this weekend. Miami also recently offered South Miami Senior (FL) 3-star Khaya Wright and Dublin (GA) 3-star JaQues Evans, but they’re going to need Miami to miss on a few of these names as well as show out at Paradise Camp to become takes.

The Team

By the time Flagg hits campus in 2020, Miami will have seven total linebackers already on the roster. However, guys like Waynmon Steed and De’Andre Wilder have been non-factors so far due to injury issues, and the rest of the returning LB’s are completely unproven. With Shaq Quaterman, Michael Pinckney, Zach McCloud, and Romeo Finley set to graduate, there will be plenty of playing time available for Flagg to soak up if he proves he’s ready. The Canes are likely going to need a freshman from the 2020 class to step up and fill a role and there’s a chance that guy is Flagg, who is already well built for the college game at 225 pounds and continuing to grow. That likelihood is even higher if he enrolls early for spring ball.

Advertisement
I get the concerns people have with the measurable here but watching this kids film against top competition in Texas, it’s hard to argue the production. He plays much different than the 4.9 40. You’re write up was spot on. He easily covers rbs and tes, is a sure tackler, high twitch, aggressive striker.

I get the concerns people have with the measurable here but watching this kids film against top competition in Texas, it’s hard to argue the production. He plays much different than the 4.9 40. You’re write up was spot on. He easily covers rbs and tes, is a sure tackler, high twitch, aggressive striker.
His tape was excellent. Easily plays faster than that 40, diagnoses fast, reacts faster, runs through the tackle and l holds the point of attack. And those are just video game numbers ****. Steal.

Advertisement
I love the combination of Mathis, Flagg, and hopefully Cave. I was near Flowe during his spring visit at the traz game, he really looked like he fit in with all the Miami guys but honestly a guy rated that high, from the opposite coast, and schools playing the money game, i doubt he comes.

This is a case where I won't put a ton of stock into his testing numbers, particularly the 40 which has a lot to do with technique. He gets sideline to sideline and twitchy. All you need to see is about 5-6 plays on where he steps up recognizes pass and covers about 17 yards for the pass break up. If he were too slow he isn't getting there. Anyone know his vertical?

I'd be fine getting Cave and Ruben and shutting it down

Last edited:
Advertisement
Just to pump sunshine here (and reiterate what others have said) on the measurables front:

"Short area quickness" > 40 time with LBs. Always.

Rohan Marley played LB for us and that dude is 5'8" on tippy toes so on a historical front the 5'10" height doesn't bother me in the slightest.

This is a case where I won't put a ton of stock into his testing numbers, particularly the 40 which has a lot to do with technique. He gets sideline to sideline and twitchy. All you need to see is about 5-6 plays on where he steps up recognizes pass and covers about 17 years for the pass break up. If he were too slow he isn't getting there. Anyone know his vertical?

I'd be fine getting Cave and Ruben and shutting it down
I don't remember the exact number but I'd bet my left nut that it's over 30". That's a pretty good vert for a 5'10" 230 lb. kid. That vertical, his shuttle time and the film tell me that his 40 can improve. What I'm most impressed with is his coverage skills. Most shorter, stockier LB's tend to turn into a ball of nerves when in pass coverage. His COD speed and good fluidity make up for his lack of length (although it looks like he has longer arms for a short kid) and most importantly, he seems comfortable when the ball is in the air...

Advertisement
My feelings about the new recruiting realities when it comes to our program is to find the best 25 football players in the country who want to be Canes. It would be great if the vast majority came from the Tri-County area but if not, then so be it.

I like the approach this staff is taking. With a few exceptions of course, offer and recruit the local guys, but if they don't respectfully reciprocate interest, move on and find another option no matter where it is.

This kid and Cave appear to be good examples of that.

Just to pump sunshine here (and reiterate what others have said) on the measurables front:

"Short area quickness" > 40 time with LBs. Always.

Rohan Marley played LB for us and that dude is 5'8" on tippy toes so on a historical front the 5'10" height doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Yup. And I'll add: Reaction time > Short area quickness.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back