Class Impact: Bryan Robinson exits

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Palm Beach Central WR Bryan Robinson decommitted from the Hurricanes late last night.

The 6-1, 180-pounder is currently a consensus 4-star prospect. According to the 247Sports Composite, Robinson is the #97 player nationally, the #20 WR in the country, and the #13 player in the Sunshine state. His decommitment moves Miami class ranking down to #5 on 247Sports and #5 on Rivals.

The Background

Robinson had been committed to the Canes for nearly a year now, committing to the staff after Paradise Camp in July 2018. Robinson originally committed to Mark Richt’s staff, and specifically WR coach Ron Dugans, and the rumblings suggest that a big part of Robinson’s commitment in the first place came from a desire to play for Dugans. While Robinson’s departure wasn’t all the way as expected like Donell Harris’, it also wasn’t a complete shock, as Robinson has been swaying in the wind for a while now with multiple visits to FSU, UF, and is even currently on an official visit to Pitt this weekend. The Canes have also demonstrated they were preparing for this exact possibility after offering a ton of WR’s during the spring evaluation period. Despite all this, losing Robinson is not ideal and is a hit to the class as he is a top 100 talent and he was considered the second-best prospect in Category20.

Future of the Class

Robinson’s exit leaves 15 commits in the 2020 class, and now Miami Northwestern (FL) 4-star WR Marcus Fleming is the only true WR in Category20. Deerfield Beach (FL) 3-star ATH Xavier Restrepo is also a distinct candidate for receiver as well. The Canes have pretty clearly been chasing for 3 WR’s in this class with Restrepo as a swingman, so it’s safe to say there’s two open spots right now.

Good for Miami, there are quite simply a ton of names that are tied to UM at WR right now and they offered double-digit players here during the spring evaluation period. The new offerees to focus on would be Hewitt-Trussville (AL) 4-star and Alabama commit Dazalin Worsham, who has already stated his desire to make an official visit to Miami, Bishop Gorman (NV) 4-star Rome Odunze, who is former teammates with multiple players at Miami, and Centennial (CA) 4-star Gary Bryant, who just put Miami in his top 10. Either way, it’s clear new WR coach Taylor Stubblefield is turning over every rock to find the perfect fit to close out his class.

In-state, Columbus (FL) 4-star Xzavier Henderson has been treated like a top priority and continues to list Miami among his favorites, but the Canes are trailing Clemson and Florida. A source close to his recruitment told CIS that Henderson tried to commit to Clemson already but was told he had to wait and is in limbo with the Tigers. As of now, I see UF being the beneficiary if Henderson decides to move on from Clemson.

Lately, contact has picked up with in-state talents such as IMG Academy (FL) 4-star Michael Redding and Miami Palmetto (FL) 3-star Kentron Poitier. Both have since reciprocated that interest with visits to Miami within the past week and the Canes would love to get them back on officials. Redding seems pretty open right now, while Poitier is taking his first OV to Syracuse next weekend.

Outside the state, Memphis Central (TN) 4-star Darin Turner visited the Canes this spring and, shortly after, decommitted from LSU. He has since put Miami in his top 6, and Stubblefield has kept in contact, however, getting Turner back for an official visit will be key in determining just how realistic an option he is. Dutch Fork (SC) 3-star and Virginia Tech commit Jalin Hyatt has also risen on the board thanks to a big spring in which he clocked a 4.31 40 at the Opening Charlotte Regional. Hyatt aims to use an official in Coral Gables as well.

Trinity Catholic (MO) 4-star Mookie Cooper has been an interesting name connected to UM for some time name and he just put UM in his top 5 last week; some in the industry felt the Canes led here. The latest intel suggests that the Canes would prefer bigger, outside receiver types to fill their last two spots, but it will be interesting to see if the Canes warm up to Cooper as the process goes along. It is certainly difficult to turn down a top 70 overall recruit that also is a big Miami supporter on social media, as Cooper even hypes up the Canes towards other recruits. Terreborne (LA) 4-star Ja’Khi Douglas is another small receiver that the Canes are keeping tabs on and just put Miami in his top 10 last month. UM is deciding if they want to bring him in for a visit.

Advertisement
Advertisement
@Liberty City El got me on the Ocho Cinco Jr bandwagon. I don’t care where they’re from, just bring us some real...

5663D9F7-120A-4409-8079-49091265182C.gif

Advertisement
Just take Cooper bruh **** it
Same man I dont get this need to pretend we are a NFL minor league team that needs to make sure they have NFL measurables! give me dudes who are ballers and can make some **** plays...

You chase measurables you get a bunch of Cagers who are janes yet look like Tarzans while missing out on JT4s or Bandys of the world

Last edited:
Give me Marcus Fleming, Dejaun Mcdougle, and Kentron Poiter. Restrepo as an athlete. I think cooper goes to Ohio state

Advertisement
I really like the Rome kid from Bishop Gorman.

Has the speed, quickness and route running that you covet. Plus he has size as well!!
Rome, cooper, Redding, hyatt, turner ,the palmetto kid, Chad Johnson jr, Dazalin worsham . We definitely got options

Advertisement
I really like Kentron Poitier
-great size
-Good speed
-Good hands
The biggest reason I like him is that he builds a pipeline for 2021 guys like Corey Collier and jason Marshall two elite Cb in the next class
They have a elite DT too leonard taylor who is the #3 DT for 2021 and i think miami leads for him right now.

Advertisement
Back