Cilve Walford

LOL at guys saying his total upside will be Ivan Mercer. Mercer was a JUCO kid when he came in here and had been playing TE for years. Walford is very raw. I think the kid can end up being very good. He seems to get open and catch the ball pretty well. I think with some coaching and better conditioning, he has the ability to be VERY good for us.

Advertisement
When was the last time we had a TE who lined up at receiver and caught fades for touchdowns? KWII?

I really think people are selling this guy's talent short.

Poor man's Bubba Franks, which is still pretty good. He and Cleveland should be a real nice duo for us.

THANK YOU. SPOT ON Bro.... you nailed it right on the head. Poor Man's Bubba Franks.. that is EXACTLY how I would classify his potential.

When was the last time who lined up at receiver and caught fades for touchdowns? KWII?

Big time. Im actually quite shocked at some of the responses in here considering how young this guy is. His only real knock that I see right now is he is very slow.. but he has been pretty good at route running and seems to catch pretty **** well. I think this guy could really become a major producer for us if Fisch starts calling his number more and as he develops.

I think he's a better overall athlete than Franks. Not sure what his top end speed is, but he has great agility....moves like a wide receiver.

Advertisement
When was the last time we had a TE who lined up at receiver and caught fades for touchdowns? KWII?

As I was reading these 3 pages I found myself saying, "wow, I guess I think much higher of Walford than the rest of the fan base..."

I think Clive Walford has a tremendous ceiling. Whats interesting is that his two most athletic plays were called back by penalties. I tend to think that if both of those plays had stood, people would think higher of him. maybe not tho. I know I see him as an all america candidate in 2013-2014.

Next year would be a better stage to judge. He's a raw, talented guy who got a late start in football. That said, I'm an Asante Cleveland guy.

A guy we beat Nevada, San Diego St., and Washington St. for! Just goes to show you, there is a lot of talent out there waiting to be found.

Hopefully he too has a good offseason and comes back ready to ball.

With all due respect, I don't think he's remotely an example of "Just goes to you" two years into his career. That might change (and I certainly hope it does) but he hasn't shown a thing so far to suggest that the BCS coaches that passed on him were wrong.

D$, if you see this post, was there a reason Cleveland didn't see more playing time this year? Was he injured?

Why not? He's talented. Has a frame on him too. He could be the next Jimmy Graham or the next Willie Williams, but either way he played his way onto the field pretty early. I enjoy the nook and cranny guys!

Because I don't think coaches of any top-30 college football teams are kicking themselves right now because they missed on Asante Cleveland. Hopefully they'll have reason to do so, and THEN we can say "Just goes to show you." But right now? No.

And you say he's talented? Compared to whom? If I ask you to compare his talent to the TE's on other ACC teams we compete against (which is the only meaningful measure) you can't, because he's hardly played. Not saying he isn't talented, but you can't say one way or the other at this stage of his career.

Maybe he's got Jimmy Graham/Willie Williams talent, or maybe not. We simply don't have enough information to go off of right now.

As I was reading these 3 pages I found myself saying, "wow, I guess I think much higher of Walford than the rest of the fan base..."

I think Clive Walford has a tremendous ceiling. Whats interesting is that his two most athletic plays were called back by penalties. I tend to think that if both of those plays had stood, people would think higher of him. maybe not tho. I know I see him as an all america candidate in 2013-2014.

You feel the same way I do about Walford for the most part, although I will stop short of calling him an all american candidate...that is a very rare honor. I think a guy with his size and speed just give you the opportunity to do so many different things.

He will have to get better as a blocker - if Chase Ford was getting snaps ahead of him in short yardage situations due to his lack of blocking ability, then the young man has some work to do.

But I feel good about his future and his ability to develop into a complete player. Since he started playing football so late (and is understandably still a bit raw) he has a really high ceiling.

I think he's better than another in-state hoops player turned tight end...Beau Reliford, who signed with FSU and plays.

Advertisement
One thing Clive has shown is that he will be physical. Like Jimmy, that should increase as he gets more comfortable as a ballcarrier.

Next year would be a better stage to judge. He's a raw, talented guy who got a late start in football. That said, I'm an Asante Cleveland guy.

A guy we beat Nevada, San Diego St., and Washington St. for! Just goes to show you, there is a lot of talent out there waiting to be found.

With all due respect, I don't think he's remotely an example of "Just goes to you" two years into his career. That might change (and I certainly hope it does) but he hasn't shown a thing so far to suggest that the BCS coaches that passed on him were wrong.

D$, if you see this post, was there a reason Cleveland didn't see more playing time this year? Was he injured?

Why not? He's talented. Has a frame on him too. He could be the next Jimmy Graham or the next Willie Williams, but either way he played his way onto the field pretty early. I enjoy the nook and cranny guys!

Because I don't think coaches of any top-30 college football teams are kicking themselves right now because they missed on Asante Cleveland. Hopefully they'll have reason to do so, and THEN we can say "Just goes to show you." But right now? No.

And you say he's talented? Compared to whom? If I ask you to compare his talent to the TE's on other ACC teams we compete against (which is the only meaningful measure) you can't, because he's hardly played. Not saying he isn't talented, but you can't say one way or the other at this stage of his career.

Maybe he's got Jimmy Graham/Willie Williams talent, or maybe not. We simply don't have enough information to go off of right now.

Come on, let me have my fun:)

But seriously, we "haven't seen anything on him yet," but people on here will rip or crown HS Juniors. Shrug. It's all BS until someone goes for 6 as you said.

Advertisement
This guy will be SOLID!!! Don't see how people think Asante will be so much better than Walford... Not a knock on Asante by any means, but Walford will be solid.. So much truth when D$ asks.. 'when is the last time we had a TE catch a fade route??' Plus the kid looks comfortable in open space. I can't really comment on his blocking abilities cause i havnt really analyzed it, but the kid looks good. Truly looking forward to what made us great.. COMPETITION between Asante and Clive...

Come on, let me have my fun:)

But seriously, we "haven't seen anything on him yet," but people on here will rip or crown HS Juniors. Shrug. It's all BS until someone goes for 6 as you said.

By all means, have all the fun you want. LOL Permission granted!

Advertisement
Walford>>>Cleveland

It's not close to these eyes. Walford looks bigger and fast with hands just as good if not better.

He looked just as good this year as Graham did in his one year here, IMO. Maybe better. I don't remember him dropping any massive gimmes.
;

I disagree. It's really hard to say as Cleveland barely got any playing time this year, but after last season I really loved his potential going forward. Personally I thought Cleveland (of 2010 at least) looked much more athletic than Walford. I also don't remember Asante dropping any passes last year, while Walford had a few this season. That said, it's troubling that he barely saw the field this year. Maybe D$ or someone else has some inside info on why that is, but I was shocked that he didn't get more burn.

Cim -

I hear ya, and I liked what Cleveland did in 2010 too. My >>> has more to do with my opinion of Walford's ceiling than Cleveland's lack of play this year. But I think both will make plays for us next year, if healthy.

Plus the kid looks comfortable in open space. I can't really comment on his blocking abilities cause i havnt really analyzed it, but the kid looks good. Truly looking forward to what made us great.. COMPETITION between Asante and Clive...

Good stuff, AB.

Clive's catch-and-run against Ohio State was an eye-opener. With a guy like Morris who can put it on him fast, those RAC skills should continue to develop.

They're different players, but Walford/Cleveland gives me a Franks/Fulcher vibe.

I think lately at Miami we have got used to players not developing over time. I believe that is a thing of the past, and hopefully Walford proves that next year. I think he has the ability to be a great catch TE. I guess we will see.

He is Ok. Not going to be an All-ACC guy, not going to be a total bust. His upside is Ivan Mercer/Dennis Kelleher; the kind of guy who might make a key play here and there, but he's not going to star on a game winning drive against a good FSU team.

Ivan Mercer is what immediately came to my mind, but with a notch above more athleticism.

Advertisement
Back