Christian Williams

I already upvoted you for giving him the benefit of 3 games. Lol if he’s horrible after the first game, We’ll both bail on him.
**** kid can't wash last year's stink off of him. He's made in Dade so I'll ride out for him. But if he comes out doodoo early. We're bailing fast.
Btw, thanks for showing up to the convo...

Advertisement
**** kid can't wash last year's stink off of him. He's made in Dade so I'll ride out for him. But if he comes out doodoo early. We're bailing fast.
Btw, thanks for showing up to the convo...
I had to put in work time today but I finally got in late here.

I googled C. Williams Twitter. Seems like a quiet cat. My perception lately is less smedia more focused player.

We can say that the biggest question mark when the new staff got here after golden was corner back and many threads were posted about how the Dline made our db’s look good. Same can be said for Clemson Bama Uga and lsu that recruit elite dudes in the line and put them in the nfl.
Can we at least say that our db coaches have been respectable at the very least.
However, my concern this past year and moving forward isnt the corner backs considering we have highly rated kids back there. It’s the front 4. Despite being very limited in my knowledge of the game I have a legit concern in either the coaching or the scheme of last years line.
I brought this up on this board right after the UF loss and it was echoed by others that this wasn’t
Manny’s defense. We should’ve gone after Taco Hotdog and everyone else. It seems like the fighter that is defending his title and instead of fighting to win he’s fighting not to lose.

Advertisement
I am projecting to this year using last year. I’m not a ‘fan’ of Ivey I have no dog in the race I just don’t rely on stats to tell me who’s good cause stats don’t tell the real story tape does and I know if you think Blades has better technique u haven’t truly watched them. Stats are the reason u fans hype up guys that are truly not that great (not saying Blades) like Garvin. If Blades play matched up with his stats he would be a projected top pick right now but he’s not cause if you truly watch him he has tools but he’s not there in terms of technique at this point. I hope u watch plays where they are not targeted as well because that is almost more important than the ones they are targeted on cause you only get so many targets a game. Ivey hasn’t proven to be good yet but neither has Blades and you haven’t truly watched him if you think he is. He’s got potential feel like I’m coming off ****ting on blades here I’m just saying if you actually watch them Ivey is closer to being a shutdown corner and he really progressed as the year went along
I played & coached CB, I know exactly what to watch for & there's just not any evidence that shows Ivey was better than Blades in any way.

Stats don't tell the whole story but what they do is show that the results are indicative of the ability. INT's can be a deceiving stat, Ivey had 3 but if you actually examine it only one was a coverage pick vs Louisville, the others were pure luck based off being at the right place at the right time.

What game did Ivey display his supposed better technique than Blades, can you show me or tell me? Because I can go play for play on when, where & why Blades was better & showed better technique.

Again, you're projecting based on what you feel or think which is fine, but to say Ivey is better is not rooted in anything tangible, there's no proof of it, there's no tape or metric where he clearly outperformed Blades at anything.

And this thing about technique is crazy to me because that's literally one of Ivey's worst qualities, like aside from his stiff hips & bad footwork, his overall technique is what gets him beat more than anything, if he had better technique he could make up for the fact that he's slow, but his bad technique compounds his lack of top physical traits. It's literally what he's spent the offseason working on, his private coach Scott (Th3 Lab) has been working with him to refine his footwork, that's legitimately one of the most important aspects of CB technique, so how can he have bad footwork but have better technique than Blades? Lol...

Coaches seem to love Ivey. Maybe he flashes elite skills in practice that we don’t witness. But he hasn’t delivered on the field

In my book, Blades is the clear #1 for all the reasons that LCE already pointed out. Ivey will almost certainly start opposite him as we begin the season. But I expect someone will displace him by mid season without a huge leap.

Happy to hear people are super high on Williams. My bet is on Couch. I love that kid’s potential. And now that he’s got the nutrition and S&C parts going, I think he’s going to bring it.

Also, of the freshmen, I like all the guys we got. But Avantae Williams is the best DB of the bunch. And he can play corner if needed. Wouldn’t be surprise at all if he were the fast nickel when they pull the striker and play a 4-2-5.

Advertisement
I played & coached CB, I know exactly what to watch for & there's just not any evidence that shows Ivey was better than Blades in any way.

Stats don't tell the whole story but what they do is show that the results are indicative of the ability. INT's can be a deceiving stat, Ivey had 3 but if you actually examine it only one was a coverage pick vs Louisville, the others were pure luck based off being at the right place at the right time.

What game did Ivey display his supposed better technique than Blades, can you show me or tell me? Because I can go play for play on when, where & why Blades was better & showed better technique.

Again, you're projecting based on what you feel or think which is fine, but to say Ivey is better is not rooted in anything tangible, there's no proof of it, there's no tape or metric where he clearly outperformed Blades at anything.

And this thing about technique is crazy to me because that's literally one of Ivey's worst qualities, like aside from his stiff hips & bad footwork, his overall technique is what gets him beat more than anything, if he had better technique he could make up for the fact that he's slow, but his bad technique compounds his lack of top physical traits. It's literally what he's spent the offseason working on, his private coach Scott (Th3 Lab) has been working with him to refine his footwork, that's legitimately one of the most important aspects of CB technique, so how can he have bad footwork but have better technique than Blades? Lol...

So if he’s got all that going bad for him how is a a corner for a highly thought of power 5 team? A slow footed, bad hipped, bad technique corner would not be able to play group of five let alone for the university of Miami. He’s got very good patience at the line of scrimmage, extremely disruptive jam, and his feet are not bad at all at his size. His biggest issues were inexperience (clearly got better as the season went on), and lack of recovery speed which is a legit problem that gets him into trouble cause he has to be an absolute technician to be consistently shutdown. Thing is he has bad reps much like any corner he just doesn’t have the luxury to get away with that. Down to down he is definitely more technically sound than blades. If blades were good technically he’d be elite which he isn’t at this point. If technique isn’t blades problem I’d love to hear what is.

So if he’s got all that going bad for him how is a a corner for a highly thought of power 5 team? A slow footed, bad hipped, bad technique corner would not be able to play group of five let alone for the university of Miami. He’s got very good patience at the line of scrimmage, extremely disruptive jam, and his feet are not bad at all at his size. His biggest issues were inexperience (clearly got better as the season went on), and lack of recovery speed which is a legit problem that gets him into trouble cause he has to be an absolute technician to be consistently shutdown. Thing is he has bad reps much like any corner he just doesn’t have the luxury to get away with that. Down to down he is definitely more technically sound than blades. If blades were good technically he’d be elite which he isn’t at this point. If technique isn’t blades problem I’d love to hear what is.
How was he a corner for us? Because he was recruited by the staff & due to lack of depth had no choice but to play him. And the results showed all those things that were wrong with his game, if that wasn't the case he wouldn't have given up the most catches, most yards & most TD's.

On one hand you say his biggest issue is his lack of recovery speed because he has to be an absolute technician in order to be a consistent shutdown corner but on the other hand you're saying he has better technique than Blades? So when was he a shutdown corner if his lack of recovery speed had to made up for with technique? Like what game did he show that? Because if he lacks recovery speed but had exceptional technique why did he give up so many catches for so many yards & had way less PBU's?

And technique isn't Blades biggest problem, he does need to improve on his technique particularly in off coverage & work on his recognition, but his big issue was tackling & consistent physicality.

His press man ability is better than corner on the roster & again, can you show me or direct me to a play where Ivey's was?

Every argument I've made has had both empirical data & film to support what I'm saying, I haven't seen anything on Ivey that shows any of everything you speak of. I watched every snap of our CB's both in season & after the season was over, there wasn't one game where Ivey was better, not one.

Ivey may have the size that could make for a potential really good lengthy corner, but he has yet to show that in a game yet. His best play of the season was the INT vs Louisville where he displayed good play recognition in the Cover 4 Zone & rolled his coverage back to take off the End zone route, other than that he struggled.

I'm not saying Blades was elite, but was he better than Ivey? Without question. If you believe Ivey will be better, it's not based on film, it can't be, it's based on what you think he has potential to be, which is subjective. But objectively speaking, Blades is better & it's not really up for debate.

How was he a corner for us? Because he was recruited by the staff & due to lack of depth had no choice but to play him. And the results showed all those things that were wrong with his game, if that wasn't the case he wouldn't have given up the most catches, most yards & most TD's.

On one hand you say his biggest issue is his lack of recovery speed because he has to be an absolute technician in order to be a consistent shutdown corner but on the other hand you're saying he has better technique than Blades? So when was he a shutdown corner if his lack of recovery speed had to made up for with technique? Like what game did he show that? Because if he lacks recovery speed but had exceptional technique why did he give up so many catches for so many yards & had way less PBU's?

And technique isn't Blades biggest problem, he does need to improve on his technique particularly in off coverage & work on his recognition, but his big issue was tackling & consistent physicality.

His press man ability is better than corner on the roster & again, can you show me or direct me to a play where Ivey's was?

Every argument I've made has had both empirical data & film to support what I'm saying, I haven't seen anything on Ivey that shows any of everything you speak of. I watched every snap of our CB's both in season & after the season was over, there wasn't one game where Ivey was better, not one.

Ivey may have the size that could make for a potential really good lengthy corner, but he has yet to show that in a game yet. His best play of the season was the INT vs Louisville where he displayed good play recognition in the Cover 4 Zone & rolled his coverage back to take off the End zone route, other than that he struggled.

I'm not saying Blades was elite, but was he better than Ivey? Without question. If you believe Ivey will be better, it's not based on film, it can't be, it's based on what you think he has potential to be, which is subjective. But objectively speaking, Blades is better & it's not really up for debate.

I don’t know what you want me to do I’m not going to cut up clips to send to you. You sent me like a couple good plays from blades that’s not how tape works. I can cherry pick plays where any corner in any league looks good. I would say blades technique in off is better than Ivey but Ivey as a pure press corner had better technique than blades. Saying physicality and tackling were blades biggest issues is ridiculous. That’s barely a weakness for a corner more of a added bonus. You don’t pick corners based on physicality and tackling so if those are his weaknesses he should be a top corner in all of college ball which he isn’t so obviously that ain’t it. I’d like to stress I’m not saying blades is bad or anything either just feel like you along with others are letting a few highly contested catches early in the season effect your views on Ivey. And sure you can say he got beat deep a couple times but at least 2 were on double moves and Blades has been beaten deep as well but QB overthrew it (one I remember for sure in Louisville game if you want specific games). If Blades was better at the line of scrimmage I think he could get to that elite level but that’s technique that was lacking as a freshman and sophomore just hope it’ll be there next year.

Advertisement
I forgot to ask you a question earlier. I know you have your standards on how you view a player. What you think on C. Williams?
Potential is there but like every college corner u need a front seven to help. I'm not against recruiting a kid like Williams. His recruitment was weird af

When you watch games and one guy is getting beat like a rented mule over and over, it doesn’t take a professional scout to tell you who’s the weak link. When the opponent purposely targets one dude, it’s an easy tell.

Advertisement
Blades was the best corner last year. I’d bet on him again because he’s already done it.

But I can tell you that the coaches are sky-high on Ivey. I think his biggest issue is confidence. He had some mentals last year which shouldn’t happen. He is too smart for that.

Problem with blades and ivey is they are slow. can’t run. All the technique won’t make up for lack of talent . It might work against average teams but not the big boys.

With Miami's front four and the pass rush they are going to present to teams, I think you'll find out everything you need to know about our cornerbacks within a few weeks of the season.

I think Al Blades Jr. is one of the better technical corners we've had since Brandon Harris. Just very good at in tight coverage, mirroring and using his hands. Covers tight. I like him and expect to see him make a jump this year to some sort of All-Conference performer. His skill set and a good pass rush match up for a good metric season.

Williams versus Ivey is interesting. Ivey has a lot of tools and looks the part, but lots of mental lapses where he just gets busted and then the body language changes. That is tough to overcome, but age and experience are important for most corners. Wouldn't be surprised if that camp battle went either way, tbh. Williams HS film was pretty impressive.

Problem with blades and ivey is they are slow. can’t run. All the technique won’t make up for lack of talent . It might work against average teams but not the big boys.

1589808250306.gif

I swear we got some of the dumbest fans. What part of Al Blades is Slow??

Advertisement
Back