Christian Williams to Portal

Advertisement
As the 2nd best slot corner on the team? 👀
Assuming he didn't improve, probably. We also wouldn't have had as much consternation about the position going into the season. I think it would have done him well to have another year in college instead of going out now for peanuts.

His education and degree is worth more than 30-40k he possibly made this year smh.

Miami offers athletes who turn pro the ability to come back and complete their degree for free. It is a major selling point in recruiting as most other programs don’t do it.

Advertisement
Miami offers athletes who turn pro the ability to come back and complete their degree for free. It is a major selling point in recruiting as most other programs don’t do it.
When you consider the relatively small percentage of college players who actually make it in the NFL, the degree is almost always worth more.

First let me say that I completely agree with Miami's stance on this. Looking out for the student athlete is the most important aspect. of college football, but does this policy also incentivize them to leave early knowing there are minimal repercussions to their education?

Still not worth it, so he comes back to school next football season, he has zero income, has to feed himself, and he has to house himself. Versus staying for his senior year he would be on a meal plan, have housing covered, Etc

I would say a small number of guys actually take advantage of this. It’s really hard to take a while off from school and come back. It’s hard mentally. Giving up on the dream and going back to school. It’s an admission of defeat. But I’ll tell you there’s nothing wrong with getting a degree from an awesome school like Miami and then earning a great living. 30-40k is chump change compared to what you could earn with a Miami degree. Provided you didn’t major in women’s studies or something stupid. The guidance these guys receive is upsetting man

Lost in all of this is how Bandy was playing like an UDFA for 1 and 1/2 seasons here and seeing how our corners have played for the majority of this year I doubt he would get better. The system is not friendly for cover corners and I don't see Rumph as a developer, MJ came back for his senior season with 1/2 RD hype and he was a 5th round pick and has been waived by 3 teams already. I hope he can comecak to UM if his pro career doesn't work out and get his degree.

As for Williams, I know our CB room is a mess anyway you want to look at it numbers, competition and overall talent, but I would waive him goodbye without regrets, I'm done recruiting our own players that left the team in the middle of the season

does this policy also incentivize them to leave early knowing there are minimal repercussions to their education?
We would need to see the number of players that came back to get their degree (compared to the players that didn't), and talk to them to see if that played a part in their decision, but personally I doubt that it did.

Advertisement
Lost in all of this is how Bandy was playing like an UDFA for 1 and 1/2 seasons here and seeing how our corners have played for the majority of this year I doubt he would get better. The system is not friendly for cover corners and I don't see Rumph as a developer, MJ came back for his senior season with 1/2 RD hype and he was a 5th round pick and has been waived by 3 teams already. I hope he can comecak to UM if his pro career doesn't work out and get his degree.

As for Williams, I know our CB room is a mess anyway you want to look at it numbers, competition and overall talent, but I would waive him goodbye without regrets, I'm done recruiting our own players that left the team in the middle of the season

We would need to see the number of players that came back to get their degree (compared to the players that didn't), and talk to them to see if that played a part in their decision, but personally I doubt that it did.
Maybe I'm still in love with that pick six against ND, but I have a high opinion of Bandy. It could just be me.

Still not worth it, so he comes back to school next football season, he has zero income, has to feed himself, and he has to house himself. Versus staying for his senior year he would be on a meal plan, have housing covered, Etc

not disagreeing with you. His turning pro last year was a head scratcher.

I think that returning to school is a boon for recruiting, it is definitely being used by agents in convincing kids turn pro early.

Can some save me a dozen pages of reading? Where is this kid now? Still in school at UM or no?

Advertisement
Seems his best move would be to have an attack of good sense and try to work things out with Manny and come back if possible. he has some potential and would probably get plenty of minutes.

I would love to see 37 year old Frank Gore dominating some college kids. Just bring him back for one game lol

Advertisement
Trajan Bandy is with the Cincinatti Bengals currently. I think he has been on different practice squads for about 5 weeks this year. Dont know how much it will = out to but he likely makes over 30-40k for the season

After expenses he could make more working at target.

Still at UM but not with the football team. Will transfer to a new school in the spring. Has been offered by USC
From a numbers perspective it would be great to get him to stay. We wouldn't lose an IC on a CB, and while we can still do the same things as planned at that position at worst it just adds more depth.

Advertisement
Back