Christian Williams to Portal

What if Ivey has two picks and pick 6 next game. Are we still calling for Rumphs head ??

You **** right.

1600261459163.png

Advertisement
I agree this was a hit to the corner room, but it doesn’t seem as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Our depth is actually better than it was for the entirety of last season.

2019: 1 junior Bandy, 2 sophs Blades/Ivey (with no significant previous playing experience), 2 freshmen Couch/Williams

2020: 2 juniors Blades/Ivey, 1 soph Couch (with no significant previous playing experience), 2 freshmen Dunson/Clark

So versus last season, basically trading out a soph up for a junior. We gotta get past the idea that sophs and freshmen aren’t playable. They may not be polished like older players, but I see freshmen step quite a bit and hold their own. If we need Clark or Dunson to hold down the 3rd CB spot due to an injury or something, I don’t think everything will collapse. Especially if we can get them on the field in these next couple games in small spots.

And Couch should definitely be ready to go as a 3rd corner, we relied on Blades/Ivey to start all last season as Sophs. Couch might actually be better than Ivey already, could very well push him into the 3rd CB spot and take over a starting role.

So all in all, while it’s bad, we still have 3 starting-capable corners, and 2 freshmen who should be able to step into the 3rd corner spot if needed.
Clemsons depth is 7 deep, with a 5 star on Second team.

Last edited:
We won 6 games last year because our offense was a joke. Even with thin depth and younger players potentially in the rotation, our CB room is still the best in the coastal, and light years better than either of the C-USA teams we lost to last year. Without Christian Williams, this is still a top 25 defense.
The offense was putrid, but the defense was **** poor situationally last year. You are right that without Williams the defense is still what it is for now, but what if someone gets injured? What if someone gets covid or has to quarantine because of contact tracing? You need more than 5 corners in a normal season and if we have any form of an injury or covid issue, we may not even have enough to defend a team that puts 4-5 wrs out there. I am not even sure how we are running a practice or scout team with only 5 corners, forgetting about the games.

The standard at Miami should not be the best CB group in one of the worst divisions in college football, and the fact that you and others set that as the standard is a problem.

Advertisement
First of all you never said hips. You said athleticism. Second of all even if you did, that's just your worthless subjective opinion. How do you verify or measure hips?? When it comes to verifiable athleticism M.Jack was not subpar. Far from that in fact. His measured athleticism was actually closer to the 80th percentile for his entire position group.

Also, there are a variety of factors that contribute to whether or not a player ends up being successful in the pros. Just like attributing overall pass defense solely to CB play is a misconception. Correlation ≠ Causation.

Yea not sure how someonbe can say most imporatan t attribute is flipping your hips lol. You better be fast, have good feet, good awarenss and short area speed/quickness to go along with those hips or you arent gonna be ****. I mean, a 4.9 guy with "good hips" is bascially worthless at this level.

Big reason why Miami cb recruiting has been a joke. Way to many guys that are safteys trying to play corner and that includes blades. Right now couch might be the only man for man cb Miami has right now. Blades is not a one on one cover corner. Sorry.

Hurricane Sally hit around Gulf Shores Al. Williams is from Daphne which is 37 miles from there. Could it have been he wanted to travel home before the storm to be with family and was told yes but you'll have to quarantine for 2 weeks after? He would then miss the Louisville game and FSU. He may have been ****ed that an exception would not be made.

Advertisement
im not disagreeing that CB has been a weak spot. But are you sure he’s the guy to blame for the recruiting evals? From what I hear/read, Diaz, baker and Banda have more to do with that than rumph.
Dude, think about it. If Rump isn't evaluating, isn't recruiting, can't hold onto the guys who do come in, and our guys haven't been blankets, then why the fck is he here?

His valets have tried to shield him from criticism by claiming he doesn't recruit or evaluate. That's the exact opposite of shielding him, as the HC thinks so little of him that he doesn't trust him to recruit or evaluate talent. That is his MAIN JOB as a position coach, and he's been stripped of it because he's so bad at it.

The dude coaches 5 guys. If you're coaching 5 players, you absolutely have to be an incredible recruiter.

This was Rumph's big recruiting "win" last year wasn't it? lmfao.

We only get scraps. Rumph didn't win shlt. Like I suspected, Bama dropped him and he wasn't a take for LSU.
Amen brother you’ve seen the truth! I posted this exact same thing, kid was never a take for bama or LSU and Dumph didn’t win ****! “Hire a real CB coach! #FireRumph” needs to be the next banner flown as CB room cont to **** the bed on the field and In recruiting.

Advertisement
No, no; I’m not OK w/ Rumph, period. I don’t give af he’s an alum. I’ve been calling out our DB recruiting & play for a while. The CBs don’t get their heads around. His best coaching yr was 2016....Each yr, our DBs have gotten progressively worse.

Dean-Buns

Bandy-Started off great, fell flat

Ivey-Cheeks

Jackson-Went from 2nd - 3rd round grade his Jr yr, to barely being drafted his Sr year (he came back to improve his draft stock)

Delaney-Went from a 4th round draft grade from The Citadel, came to Miami to upgrade his draft status, went undrafted b/c he was *** here!

Blades is the only CB that shows any promise.

Rumph can’t recruit, and he’s an mediocre coach, and I stand by that. If he wasn’t on the 01 squad, ya’ll (not u, per day) wouldn’t keep making excuses or keep using the “he’s a good coach” narrative. Somewhere UABs WRs is still roaming free.

Fair enough, I'm not exactly defending him and wouldn't mind at all if he was fired.

Bottom line, it's ridiculous that the University of Miami EVER has a depth chart that is weak at CB and WR due to just how fertile South Florida is in terms of producing top talent at those positions on a consistent basis. I've said it MANY times on this board already.....that depth chart IS STAPLED to Rumph's resume. He owns it. Period. There are no excuses. What is manifesting itself RIGHT NOW is just the result of a couple years of misses.

Mind you, all the Rumph apologist morons came out of their caves the second he signed Williams. That same recruit COULDN'T beat out Ivey (who is not starter material) even BEFORE he announced his transfer.

Diaz did a good job overhauling the offensive side of the coaching staff. Let's hope he doesn't suffer from the same stubborn disease Golden did and refuse to make changes on the defensive side.

Advertisement
I keep hearing he wasn't UM material. So which is it. Convince a bum to stay or cut your lose and get better with a local prospect or someone who actually doesn't bounce in a free year. This is why LSU was good cutting bait. They knew what we didn't know.
I couldn't tell you because I didn't see him play. At times, there seems to be a disconnect between what is seen on Greentree and what happens in the games, so I reserve judgment until we get a good look.

29 pages in...and we have ONE cornerback committed for 2021.

What are we going to do about this?

JUCO corners are such a crapshoot and there are very few really good ones that should play at this level. Watch Last Chance U s5...#1 JUCO corner in the nation was getting cooked often. That is what you're getting.
Transfer portal is often a bit light on corners...often a bunch of Christian Williams types that would probably slot in as #4 types. Not instant starter types.
Getting a corner looking to go from G5 or FCS to P5 you end up with Dee Delaney types. Serviceable, but shouldn't be starting.

Its September already. Fortunately, its South Florida and cornerbacks grow on trees here and many emerge later in their HS career, so...grind the tape.

First of all you never said hips. You said athleticism. Second of all even if you did, that's just your worthless subjective opinion. How do you verify or measure hips?? When it comes to verifiable athleticism M.Jack was not subpar. Far from that in fact. His measured athleticism was actually closer to the 80th percentile for his entire position group.

Also, there are a variety of factors that contribute to whether or not a player ends up being successful in the pros. Just like attributing overall pass defense solely to CB play is a misconception. Correlation ≠ Causation.

So correlation doesn’t equal causation, yet Rumph is to blame for Jackson’s alleged drop-off?

This is confirmation bias.

People hate Rumph, ergo it’s his fault.

Dude, think about it. If Rump isn't evaluating, isn't recruiting, can't hold onto the guys who do come in, and our guys haven't been blankets, then why the fck is he here?

His valets have tried to shield him from criticism by claiming he doesn't recruit or evaluate. That's the exact opposite of shielding him, as the HC thinks so little of him that he doesn't trust him to recruit or evaluate talent. That is his MAIN JOB as a position coach, and he's been stripped of it because he's so bad at it.

The dude coaches 5 guys. If you're coaching 5 players, you absolutely have to be an incredible recruiter.

I was shocked when that report came out about Rumph seeing a psychologist to help with recruiting.

It’s just bizarre how little personality he has to be in big-time coaching.

Even Shannon was more relatable, and he was losing player tails like a CIA agent when kids tried to find out where he lived.

Advertisement
Back