Chris Lykes enters the Portal

If it's all about a one-year "showcase" of your skills, I'm not sure how that comes into play. He'd be a guaranteed starter for UM this coming season, maybe the 4th guard at Arkansas. How does that help set you up for the professional ranks, overseas or in this country?

1. "Guaranteed Starter". Rodney Miller might be a "guaranteed starter" at UM. Almost anyone is a guaranteed starter here. Maybe this is part of the problem (more on this later).

2. As for his ability to "showcase" his skills and starting at Arkansas, I doubt he is concerned about competing. That isn't his MO. I also don't think Arkansas has anyone like him remaining. Remember...With senior starters Jalen Tate and Justin Smith expected to depart and freshman wing Moses Moody a projected first-round pick, Razorbacks coach Eric Musselman is aiming to reload via the transfer portal -- as he's done the past several seasons with Arkansas and Nevada.

Musselman loves transfers and I am sure he knows how unique Lykes is and what he can do for Arkansas. Don't be shocked if Lykes is a stud at Arkansas in his last season.

3. Perhaps it isn't about playing time or showcasing his skills, perhaps he is sick of Coach L and this staff. Perhaps he wants to win and go far in the NCAAT. Three straight losing seasons can have a tremendous impact on someone who wants to compete and win. Combine that with the fact that many players here want to leave town; I can easily see why someone wants to leave and play for a much better program/coach.

Advertisement
1. "Guaranteed Starter". Rodney Miller might be a "guaranteed starter" at UM. Almost anyone is a guaranteed starter here. Maybe this is part of the problem (more on this later).

2. As for his ability to "showcase" his skills and starting at Arkansas, I doubt he is concerned about competing. That isn't his MO. I also don't think Arkansas has anyone like him remaining. Remember...With senior starters Jalen Tate and Justin Smith expected to depart and freshman wing Moses Moody a projected first-round pick, Razorbacks coach Eric Musselman is aiming to reload via the transfer portal -- as he's done the past several seasons with Arkansas and Nevada.

Musselman loves transfers and I am sure he knows how unique Lykes is and what he can do for Arkansas. Don't be shocked if Lykes is a stud at Arkansas in his last season.

3. Perhaps it isn't about playing time or showcasing his skills, perhaps he is sick of Coach L and this staff. Perhaps he wants to win and go far in the NCAAT. Three straight losing seasons can have a tremendous impact on someone who wants to compete and win. Combine that with the fact that many players here want to leave town; I can easily see why someone wants to leave and play for a much better program/coach.
1. Maybe I should have said "guaranteed star" instead of guaranteed starter. Let's not forget this kid was picked as All-ACC by the so-called experts. With our outside shooting woes, I suspect Chris would've had the full green light to fire away and rack up numbers and accolades.

He had a hard-earned three year rep as an outstanding ACC player. Now, he has to prove himself over again to a new HC, and SEC press corps. I'm just saying his personal resume (which counts in terms of his future in the sport) would likely have been more enhanced by staying at UM. We'll see.

2. Even with the losses in the backcourt at Arkansas, I still count four excellent guards (including Lykes) who will have to share time, and the spotlight.

3. Good point.

Last edited:
1. Maybe I should have said "guaranteed star" instead of guaranteed starter. Let's not forget this kid was picked as All-ACC by the so-called experts. With our outside shooting woes, I suspect Chris would've had the full green light to fire away and rack up numbers and accolades.

He had a hard-earned three year rep as an outstanding ACC player. Now, he has to prove himself over again to a new HC, and SEC press corps. I'm just saying his personal resume (which counts in terms of his future in the sport) would likely have been more enhanced by staying at UM. We'll see.

2. Even with the losses in the backcourt at Arkansas, I still count four excellent guards (including Lykes) who will have to share time, and the spotlight.

3. Good point.

So he is going to be inferior in an inferior conference? I think he will have no trouble be a stud in his system. Provided he is healthy.

IMO, it makes perfect and logical sense why he (as well as many of them) want to get the *** out of town ASAP.

Based on this past season, the SEC is superior to the ACC in hoops. Only reason I'm expecting Lykes to put up inferior numbers at Ark is that his PT will likely be half what it would have been at UM.

Based on this past season, the SEC is superior to the ACC in hoops. Only reason I'm expecting Lykes to put up inferior numbers at Ark is that his PT will likely be half what it would have been at UM.
I can tell you right now that his plan isn't to go to Arkansas and play less than 20 minutes a game there. And I doubt Musselman is telling him that as well. I think he expects to go there and start. As he should. As long as he can stay healthy, I think he'll be fine.

Advertisement
I can tell you right now that his plan isn't to go to Arkansas and play less than 20 minutes a game there. And I doubt Musselman is telling him that as well. I think he expects to go there and start. As he should. As long as he can stay healthy, I think he'll be fine.
We shall see.

Have you watched Demonte Davis (9 ppg as a true frosh, and maybe the best of the lot), JD Notae (13 ppg), and Desi Sills (8 ppg) play? And, now, Au'diese Toney (6'6 Guard who averaged 14 ppg at Pitt) joins Lykes transferring in. I'll bet Muss told Toney he'll start too. How could he not, and expect him to have transferred in?

Even if Toney were moved to Forward, Davis and Notae are the real deal (Sills maybe less so) and all three have the advantage of already being in the program under Musselman. Do you think Muss told either Davis, Notae or Sills that they are anything less than starting guard candidates? If he did, they'd be in the Portal.

BTW, Pitt's program has imploded to the same degree as ours.

We shall see.

Have you watched Demonte Davis (9 ppg as a true frosh, and maybe the best of the lot), JD Notae (13 ppg), and Desi Sills (8 ppg) play? And, now, Au'diese Toney (6'6 Guard who averaged 14 ppg at Pitt) joins Lykes transferring in. I'll bet Muss told Toney he'll start too. How could he not, and expect him to have transferred in?

Even if Toney were moved to Forward, Davis and Notae are the real deal (Sills maybe less so) and all three have the advantage of already being in the program under Musselman. Do you think Muss told either Davis, Notae or Sills that they are anything less than starting guard candidates? If he did, they'd be in the Portal.

BTW, Pitt's program has imploded to the same degree as ours.
I have seen them play this season. Saw them a few times and I think Notae is the only one aside from Chris who can play at the point for them. You're right though, we shall see.

1. The ACC is the consistent best conference until someone steps up and dethrones it. One year is nothing especially when this year was slightly irregular with COVID.

2. You completely speculate on his time at Ark. Maybe this is right but maybe he would be the only really good player here and is doubled on D.

1. The ACC is the consistent best conference until someone steps up and dethrones it. One year is nothing especially when this year was slightly irregular with COVID.

2. You completely speculate on his time at Ark. Maybe this is right but maybe he would be the only really good player here and is doubled on D.
1. With the incoming classes + transfers at Kentucky, Alabama and Arkansas (and LSU and Florida remaining strong), I'll predict right now that the "top" of the SEC will be better than UNC/Duke/UVA or whoever else are the cream of the ACC this coming season. Maybe starting to look like a trend?

2. You're right, if Chris had returned to UM, someone would've had to step up to take the pressure off him on the perimeter.

My problem with Lykes at the point is two fold: (1) his natural inclination is to shoot from outside the arc (he'd have to totally alter his years'-long mind set), and (2) most coaches need and expect their PG to penetrate -- either taking the ball to the bucket, or dishing off in the lane. At 5'7 (I still say 5'6, max), Chris has shown no ability to do either from a half-court set. He has eaten a ton of leather when he has tried.

Advertisement
Why Chris chose Arkansas over USC is one matter; why he left Miami is another perhaps: there were published (reliable-sounding) reports that after he tested the NBA waters (to no avail) he wanted back in to Coach L's program here, and he was told no (by "L"). How deep the Coach L woes go is perhaps indicated here (if these reports are true.)

I have seen them play this season. Saw them a few times and I think Notae is the only one aside from Chris who can play at the point for them. You're right though, we shall see.
I suspect Muss may want Toney to swing down low and play closer to the basket. At 6'6, he is a very strong rebounder. I read somewhere though that Toney's future in the pro ranks is at Guard, meaning he may or may not be amenable to a position change.

1. With the incoming classes + transfers at Kentucky, Alabama and Arkansas (and LSU and Florida remaining strong), I'll predict right now that the "top" of the SEC will be better than UNC/Duke/UVA or whoever else are the cream of the ACC this coming season. Maybe starting to look like a trend?

2. You're right, if Chris had returned to UM, someone would've had to step up to take the pressure off him on the perimeter.

My problem with Lykes at the point is two fold: (1) his natural inclination is to shoot from outside the arc (he'd have to totally alter his years'-long mind set), and (2) most coaches need and expect their PG to penetrate -- either taking the ball to the bucket, or dishing off in the lane. At 5'7 (I still say 5'6, max), Chris has shown no ability to do either from a half-court set. He has eaten a ton of leather when he has tried.

Let me know the next time an SEC school wins it all. How about the last time an SEC school won it all? Finally, how many teams from the SEC were in the final four this year? The SEC is not overtaking the ACC until they have consistent results. In fact, they’re not the next best conference regardless until they can prove as such. If anything, the Big 12 would be second best. Clearly Beard leaving TTU and going to UT is a big time coach staying in conference. On top of that, you have Baylor. Oh and there is Kansas.

Perhaps Lykes needs better coaching and a change of scenery?

Let me know the next time an SEC school wins it all. How about the last time an SEC school won it all? Finally, how many teams from the SEC were in the final four this year? The SEC is not overtaking the ACC until they have consistent results. In fact, they’re not the next best conference regardless until they can prove as such. If anything, the Big 12 would be second best. Clearly Beard leaving TTU and going to UT is a big time coach staying in conference. On top of that, you have Baylor. Oh and there is Kansas.

Perhaps Lykes needs better coaching and a change of scenery?
All good points. The SEC has forever been a one team league and Kentucky may well be back in their usual position this coming season. And, the Big 12 (and PAC 12) teams clearly represented their conferences extremely well in the NCAAT.

With Roy gone, and Coach K well into his final act, and the historical mediocrity of the rest of the schools (minus UVA), though, I'm not real bullish on the ACCs continued prominence.

As I've said, as a UM alum and a DC-area resident for the last 45 years, no one wanted local kid Chris Lykes to succeed at UM more than me. I'll continue that hope for him at Arkansas.

Advertisement
Why Chris chose Arkansas over USC is one matter; why he left Miami is another perhaps: there were published (reliable-sounding) reports that after he tested the NBA waters (to no avail) he wanted back in to Coach L's program here, and he was told no (by "L"). How deep the Coach L woes go is perhaps indicated here (if these reports are true.)
Aren't Wong and McGusty testing the NBA waters right now?

Advertisement
Not sure I would label him finishing what he started when he flat out quit on his teammates this year. Congrats to him on getting his degree though
In a couple of years grad transfers will be a rarity. We're quickly moving towards every program replacing 7-8 players every year. It will be like fantasy football where you have 2 keepers and redraft the rest of your roster each season.

In a couple of years grad transfers will be a rarity. We're quickly moving towards every program replacing 7-8 players every year. It will be like fantasy football where you have 2 keepers and redraft the rest of your roster each season.

I completely agree. Thats why I think we need somebody a little more younger and dialed in to oversee this.

Advertisement
Back