Chop Block call, ACC is so stupid

Advertisement
Look at the center and left guard on the very first play of these highlights. How is that not a penalty? They could've done damage to Norton.

[video=youtube;W1AUIEnL5vg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1AUIEnL5vg[/video]
Exactly...that's illegal, can't hit a guy below the knees when he's already engaged. Our play was the correct call according to the rule but it looked like Mullins lost his footing.

That was not a penalty.

I also find it shocking that in an ager where we are so worried about player safety these types of blocks are still allowed. You risk a DL every year you play GT because they dive at their knees the entire game.

That was not a penalty.

I also find it shocking that in an ager where we are so worried about player safety these types of blocks are still allowed. You risk a DL every year you play GT because they dive at their knees the entire game.

yep and the ACC puts a lot of defensive linemen in the NFL too who command some of the highest salaries unfortunately they wont change it until they permanently injure a knee and wreck someones career who is potential top pick

Mullins was exactly 2 yards past the LOS when that block was thrown. Can anyone tell me how this is any different than what GT receivers do on the outside?

Advertisement
The refs really tried to give the game to GT. Whether it's a legal play or not... who tf is calling a chop bloc against any team playing GT when that's all they do every play!??

They didn't call a chop block. They called illegal block below the waist.

Did anybody see that cheap shot on Chad? Man that was some bull**** and Manny called Chad off the field b/c he knew they were trying to hurt Major9 on purpose. Could've ended his career with that bull****

They never showed the replay of the block or did I miss it?

If they showed it, I missed it too.

Don’t think they ever did.I ran it back looking for it and never saw it.

xKf21ov

I thought this was only illegal if it was from the back or side....either I need to read the rule book or this was an atrocious call at a critical time of the game.

The rule for a wide receiver coming from a traditional "crack back"position was changed several years ago. Under no condition can you "crack back" low and if you do it up high, you must hit the tackler between his 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock area.

Look at the center and left guard on the very first play of these highlights. How is that not a penalty? They could've done damage to Norton.

Exactly...that's illegal, can't hit a guy below the knees when he's already engaged. Our play was the correct call according to the rule but it looked like Mullins lost his footing.

Sorry, but if you pause it at the initial contact, you will see that both engagements are high. The low component has to be at the thigh or below.

Advertisement
Agree on bullsyt call but if Mullins doesn't puss out and locks on for a real block, then BB has a chance to make a play on safety and score. **** ****es me off bout these back ups. You **** well know BB would man up for any other reciever

If they showed it, I missed it too.

xKf21ov

I thought this was only illegal if it was from the back or side....either I need to read the rule book or this was an atrocious call at a critical time of the game.

The rule for a wide receiver coming from a traditional "crack back"position was changed several years ago. Under no condition can you "crack back" low and if you do it up high, you must hit the tackler between his 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock area.

Wrong. Get out of here you GT nerd.

xKf21ov

Okay, what do you think the rule is?

Agree on bullsyt call but if Mullins doesn't puss out and locks on for a real block, then BB has a chance to make a play on safety and score. **** ****es me off bout these back ups. You **** well know BB would man up for any other reciever

What are you talking about? Mullins did the right thing. If the refs weren't being ****heads we probably would've finished that drive with a TD

Advertisement

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR17updated.pdf#page89

I know the rule is that you can block below the waist if it’s directed from the front once the ball has left the tackle box, except that you can’t block towards your own end zone ( which didn’t happen here).

Incredible that some GT nerd comes on here and lies about the rules to try to justify that lame *** “penalty.”

There was also a blatant chop block on GT’s first big run I think. Pinckney gets engaged high and some piece of garbage dives at his legs. If the ACC had any credibility, they would ban GT from the conference. They are totally useless anyway. Nobody cares about them in any sport.

I know the rule is that you can block below the waist if it’s directed from the front once the ball has left the tackle box, except that you can’t block towards your own end zone ( which didn’t happen here).

Incredible that some GT nerd comes on here and lies about the rules to try to justify that lame *** “penalty.”

There was also a blatant chop block on GT’s first big run I think. Pinckney gets engaged high and some piece of garbage dives at his legs. If the ACC had any credibility, they would ban GT from the conference. They are totally useless anyway. Nobody cares about them in any sport.

Thanks for posting so it's easy to copy and paste. From page FR89 - read Article 6 paragraph 3. Supacane said it at the beginning of the thread but nobody would believe him.
Blocking Below the Waist
ARTICLE 6. a. Team A prior to a change of team possession:.
1. While the ball is inside the tackle box, the following players may legally block below the waist inside the tackle box until they leave the tackle box: linemen completely inside the tackle box, and stationary backs at least partially inside the tackle box and at least partially inside the frame of the body of the second lineman from the snapper.
(A.R. 9-1-6-V)
2. While the ball is inside the tackle box, all other players (i.e., those not covered in paragraph 1), and all players after the ball has left the tackle box, are allowed to block below the waist only if the force of the initial contact is directed from the front. “Directed from the front” means within the clock-face region between “10 o’clock and 2 o’clock” forward of the player being blocked. Exceptions are given in paragraphs 3 and 4. (A.R. 9-1-6-I-II, IV, VII-VIII)
3. Players not covered in paragraph 1 (above) may not block below the waist toward the original position of the ball at the snap until the ball carrier is clearly beyond the neutral zone.

Thanks for posting so it's easy to copy and paste. From page FR89 - read Article 6 paragraph 3. Supacane said it at the beginning of the thread but nobody would believe him.
Blocking Below the Waist
ARTICLE 6. a. Team A prior to a change of team possession:.
1. While the ball is inside the tackle box, the following players may legally block below the waist inside the tackle box until they leave the tackle box: linemen completely inside the tackle box, and stationary backs at least partially inside the tackle box and at least partially inside the frame of the body of the second lineman from the snapper.
(A.R. 9-1-6-V)
2. While the ball is inside the tackle box, all other players (i.e., those not covered in paragraph 1), and all players after the ball has left the tackle box, are allowed to block below the waist only if the force of the initial contact is directed from the front. “Directed from the front” means within the clock-face region between “10 o’clock and 2 o’clock” forward of the player being blocked. Exceptions are given in paragraphs 3 and 4. (A.R. 9-1-6-I-II, IV, VII-VIII)
3. Players not covered in paragraph 1 (above) may not block below the waist toward the original position of the ball at the snap until the ball carrier is clearly beyond the neutral zone.

Someone is begging to be a member of the Band! And while ur here, tell ur coach that the Canes have two words for him, SUCK IT!!

Advertisement
From the interpretations in the back of the book -
IV. At the snap A82 is positioned on the line of scrimmage to the right side of the formation, 10 yards from the snapper. Back A31, a flanker positioned to the left side of the formation, runs a deep reverse to the right side after receiving the ball from a teammate. As the play develops A82 blocks linebacker B62 toward the line through the original position of the ball. The block by A82 is below the waist and directly at the front, clearly inside the “10 o’clock to 2 o’clock” width. The block occurs (a) before ball carrier A31 has reached the line of scrimmage; (b) after ball carrier A31 is clearly beyond the neutral zone. RULING: (a) Illegal crackback block. The block below the waist is directed toward the line through the original position of the ball before it has crossed the neutral zone. 15-yard penalty. (b) Legal play. The crackback block is allowed once the ball carrier is beyond the neutral zone.

IV. At the snap A82 is positioned on the line of scrimmage to the right side of the formation, 10 yards from the snapper. Back A31, a flanker positioned to the left side of the formation, runs a deep reverse to the right side after receiving the ball from a teammate. As the play develops A82 blocks linebacker B62 toward the line through the original position of the ball. The block by A82 is below the waist and directly at the front, clearly inside the “10 o’clock to 2 o’clock” width. The block occurs (a) before ball carrier A31 has reached the line of scrimmage; (b) after ball carrier A31 is clearly beyond the neutral zone. RULING: (a) Illegal crackback block. The block below the waist is directed toward the line through the original position of the ball before it has crossed the neutral zone. 15-yard penalty. (b) Legal play. The crackback block is allowed once the ball carrier is beyond the neutral zone.

You have a good ability to copy and paste, but no ability to think critically. That scenario involves the A82 guy blocking towards his own end zone. That is not allowed. That is also not what happened here. Mullins didn’t block towards his own end zone. The block was 100% legal. **** off. Nothing worse than a nerd who can’t read. You actually registered on another team’s message board to discuss a game your team lost and to attempt to defend an indefensible call, and you don’t even know the rules.

IV. At the snap A82 is positioned on the line of scrimmage to the right side of the formation, 10 yards from the snapper. Back A31, a flanker positioned to the left side of the formation, runs a deep reverse to the right side after receiving the ball from a teammate. As the play develops A82 blocks linebacker B62 toward the line through the original position of the ball. The block by A82 is below the waist and directly at the front, clearly inside the “10 o’clock to 2 o’clock” width. The block occurs (a) before ball carrier A31 has reached the line of scrimmage; (b) after ball carrier A31 is clearly beyond the neutral zone. RULING: (a) Illegal crackback block. The block below the waist is directed toward the line through
the original position of the ball before it has crossed the neutral zone. 15-yard penalty. (b) Legal play. The crackback block is allowed once the ball carrier is beyond the neutral zone.

You have a good ability to copy and paste, but no ability to think critically. That scenario involves the A82 guy blocking towards his own end zone. That is not allowed. That is also not what happened here. Mullins didn’t block towards his own end zone. The block was 100% legal. **** off. Nothing worse than a nerd who can’t read. You actually registered on another team’s message board to discuss a game your team lost and to attempt to defend an indefensible call, and you don’t even know the rules.

Are you really that dense? It says "A82 blocks linebacker B62 toward the line through the original position of the ball."

On that same play, #22 for Georgia Tech makes a cut block on Jaquan Johnson, but no call of course. It's legal when Georgia Tech does it.

Advertisement
Back