Chick speaks out on Mark D’Onofrio/Golden Era

Freshman
Banned
"I stopped talking to [former head coach] Al Golden and [former defensive coordinator] Mark D’Onofrio week 8 or 9 of my senior season. It was tough. I kind of just cut them off and then cut off the Miami media. I took it out on the wrong people. The Miami fan base is passionate and I was looked at as the guy who would help bring us back and it didn’t turn out that way. When people are saying you suck all the time, as a young kid it was easy to be affected"

"The NFL career, which Chickillo now savors as an outside linebacker with the Pittsburgh Steelers after recently signing his second contract worth $8 million, did come. But the collegiate All-American status? Forget it. And that phone call from a UM Sports Hall of Fame representative delivering the precious news? He doesn’t expect it."

“My biggest dream turned into a nightmare,’’ said Chickillo, a five-star prospect from Tampa whose draft stock plummeted after former coaches had him gain 40 pounds and turned him into a lumbering defensive tackle instead of the explosive, speedy, 6-3, 245-pound All-American pass-rushing defensive end he became at Tampa Alonso High."

"Chickillo said he met new UM coach Manny Diaz and toured the indoor practice facility in February on his way to McDermott’s bachelor party. “It was incredible and I’m really happy for the players,’’ he said. “We’ve come such a long way. Manny said he wishes he could have had me. His scheme is incredible and I wish I could have played in it.’’

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article230111159.html

Advertisement
Advertisement
"I stopped talking to [former head coach] Al Golden and [former defensive coordinator] Mark D’Onofrio week 8 or 9 of my senior season. It was tough. I kind of just cut them off and then cut off the Miami media. I took it out on the wrong people. The Miami fan base is passionate and I was looked at as the guy who would help bring us back and it didn’t turn out that way. When people are saying you suck all the time, as a young kid it was easy to be affected"

"The NFL career, which Chickillo now savors as an outside linebacker with the Pittsburgh Steelers after recently signing his second contract worth $8 million, did come. But the collegiate All-American status? Forget it. And that phone call from a UM Sports Hall of Fame representative delivering the precious news? He doesn’t expect it."

“My biggest dream turned into a nightmare,’’ said Chickillo, a five-star prospect from Tampa whose draft stock plummeted after former coaches had him gain 40 pounds and turned him into a lumbering defensive tackle instead of the explosive, speedy, 6-3, 245-pound All-American pass-rushing defensive end he became at Tampa Alonso High."

"Chickillo said he met new UM coach Manny Diaz and toured the indoor practice facility in February on his way to McDermott’s bachelor party. “It was incredible and I’m really happy for the players,’’ he said. “We’ve come such a long way. Manny said he wishes he could have had me. His scheme is incredible and I wish I could have played in it.’’

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article230111159.html

Really unfortunate.

Indictment of former coaching staff(s) and unrealistic fanbase expectations.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I dunno. Sounds like Chick just didn't want to be a cheeseburger.

Good for him though. Still in the league (on my team) and signing new deals. I'd have loved to have seen the Steelers defensive staff watching his college tape and talking about Alfredo and Dorito.

Advertisement
I remember posting here and CI “ just watch when he’s in the league “. People were hating on the kid , but it was obvious what that clown staff did to him.

Fattened the kid up , and it was awful weight. Lost all his explosion and twitch.

He was a team guy , played out of position in an awful scheme . I’ll always have mad respect for the kid.

meh. I call bullchit that Golden and dingleberry messed up his college career. he played the position HE and DADDY wanted...!!! he was just not good enough as a DE. he got manhandle by OT's all day long. he re-discovered his speed in trying to slim down for the NFL combine. his only hope was as a special teams player. as it turned out he got lucky as chit as he still had his wheels. if NFL hadn't become a such a specialty league he would be coaching somewhere right now. anyways, good for him, but he should really shut the F up and count his blessing...

Advertisement
Back